Best move for unhappy AI may be reunion with old adversary

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Menace, Apr 3, 2009.

1. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

The problem with your assumption is Curry was saying that AI was going to continue getting what he was getting, which was what AI was complaining about in the first place.

I see it as the return you get from AI playing well would be way better than what you get from Bynum playing well, so if you're looking towards the playoffs and AI being your X-factor off the bench, you give AI a few extra minutes. If you're looking towards the future, things may be different. I think it obvious which direction they were going.
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I remember a quote from AI when all this "someone needs to go to the bench" stuff started.

He basically said that when you come off the bench that it means you are not "good enough" to start. He looked at it as a demotion to go to the bench. I think the way you would have to look at it is that "we have a stacked line up and only 5 guys can play at a time". I think this is how Ginobili, JR Smith and other good players that come off the bench rationalize their situation.

That being said; would AI be happy coming off the bench in Boston or Cleveland behind guys that are established and flourishing? If he was on a team of current all-star players; would he have the same problem? Is it the fact that Stuckey is in front of him in the starting line up and he feels that it should be himself instead?

This is what he will have to deal with in the coming years if he wants to win a ring. If you want a stacked roster that can compete and win a title or even multiples; someone has to sacrifice.

Did AI just prove he won't or that he won't for THIS team?
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This is a good question. A competitor, I think, will want to prove the whole Detroit experience was a fluke. He will carefully choose his next team. This will allow him to display all of his skills. Another bad experience can only diminish his resume.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, to think it's only for this team/circumstances is wishful thinking. I don't think he wants to do it period.
  5. Nemo

I believe this, but I don't want to say this...OOOOps.:doh:
  6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well in that same regard, I don't think that AI would be willing to defer the starting job to Delonte West, and come off the bench, anymore than he would to Stuckey. But IMO, Cleveland is obviously a better team with West starting, because of his defensive abilities.

Now AI is going to run into this problem ANYWHERE he goes. Any team that is going to win a championship, is most likely going to be defensive minded, and therefore AI does not fit.

There really aren't that many contenders (Bos, Cleveland, Lakers, Spurs), none of which have a starting spot for Iverson. There are a few teams that are on the edge (ORL, Atl, DET, Utah, Port, Denver, HOU), and out of those teams I would say Detroit (we know that didnt work) and Houston would be the best fit. On paper, it seems as though AI would fit in a limited role with this Detroit team, didnt work. Maybe in Houston...but doubt it. Where does he go!?!
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Rip or AI off the bench was doomed from the start because of the minutes. It would be one thing if the team decided to sit one of those guys for say Afflalo because of something he brought to the table and then you brought Rip or AI in and minutes are never a problem. The Spurs may not start Ginobli, but they have no problem getting him on the court.

Also, playing Rip at the 3 was another way they were going to help this and that failed miserably.

AI off the bench might work for an established coach like Pop who would have to ride him constantly to change his mentality. For years AI had been able to coast on D because he was doing so much offensively. The trick is getting him to use his energy on D because he is playing less minutes.
  8. hitafreethrow

I believe individual defense (team defense is obviously different) is 100% will and determination, and I dont think that AI wasn't held accountable, it was more that he doesn't have the tools (size, strength, mental toughness, defensive skill set) to shut down high powered offensive players. He's not going to guard Kobe or Lebron, or even CP3 or D-Will. He needs that Erik Snow next to him to do that.

IF Pop could convince AI to come off the bench, I think SA would have a strong enough locker room to force AI into playing 25 minutes of "tolerable" defense.
  9. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Exactly.

This could work.
  10. Nemo

I don't think you can teach this old
    [​IMG]

any new
    [​IMG]
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Look at how BOS can get away with playing Eddie House. They have a system that allows them to play someone like that. They had him covering AI pretty well at times this year.

DET clearly does not have a system that allows them to play an AI type out there on D. Why, who knows?

AI does have the tools to draw charges though. He doesn't need to be Lindsey Hunter. If AI had used his quickness to just keep opposing PG in front of him (Not lock them down or anything) and kept them from getting mauled like they did against the Nets I don't think people would object to some of his reckless play offensively. (Some would object no matter what he did.)
  12. hitafreethrow

House is the type of player (because he realizes he must, in order to win) that can play 25-30 minutes one game if he's hot, and 5-10 the next if he's not, or the match-up isn't working, and not think twice about it. He understands the long-term goal of the organization. I'm not sure that AI has that in him.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

No way I do it if I'm Charlotte. I have a young improving team on the rise. And say what you will about AI, but teams don't tend to improve with him on the team.

Then again... MJ hasn't proven to be a great GM, so he might be dumb enough to do it.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. Detroit no longer has a system, since the league changes and each year the age factor limits them further down the food chain. You have had three major factors that contributed:
    1. JD was complacent just by getting into the playoff picture. Every by-line describing the Pistons begins with the unusual win streak about getting into so many straight playoff games. This all went to JD's head and it has caught up with him. Also, any potential upgrade he wanted to introduce had to have the team lie-detector test provided by the Three Christ of Ypsilanti. AI was convicted upon arrival. If JD really believed his Kool-Aid interview on the why of AI's trade stragety...he flunked himself as the Judge. In my mind, this latter test neutered JD's leadership role and is the major hit against him. It has tarnished his reputation; plus, he had no business bringing in a weak-willed, non-system thinking and inarticulate person like Curry...because this team would chew him up....and they did.
    I may get to the other two later.
  15. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I think right now AI is saying he'd rather retire than be a sixth man, but when the off season comes it might be a different story. If a team like the Celtics, Lakers, Cavs, Magic, etc..unerachieves in the playoffs I could see them trying to go after AI, but telling him from the start that its going to be as the sixth man, and I could see AI signing. If its a team that has strong leadership (players & coaching) it could work.

The problem isn't that you can't have a good offense with AI starting, because Denver was one of the best offensive teams in the league while he was there. He also showed in Denver that he can play with another great scorer (Melo). Detroit was just the wrong kind of offense. AI is best playing with a team that is more uptempo and more of an iso offense (like Denver).

Bibby is a free agent this year and if Atl doesn't resign them I could maybe see them showing some interest in AI at the 1.
  16. max

max All-Star

I don't know. I think AI has slowed down. Who here was not dissapointed in what they saw from AI this year?
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

His most devoted fans will claim that the system slowed him down, but I'm not convinced of that at all.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't know, I bet you could break up his play into small parts from earlier in his career and have the numbers look pretty poor at times. AI puts the volume in volume scorer and he needs to do it his way to avoid the putrid results he had here. I'm sure he had plenty of 1-10 stretches during the course of the game to follow it up with a 7-10 portion.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Let's have a sense of proportion about this. Of course he has slowed down. Has not:
    • Sheed---who is unstoppable from 10-12 ft from the basket, but needs to evoke some quick moves to clear enough space. To much energy (and ego), plus a little pounding has further slowed him down and moved him out to the 25 ft range.
    • Rip---has slowed down and we can see that direct result in his defense. Use to be the best on the club and now is mediocre. Has a very tough time on transition plays and needs one-two player involvement for his setups which takes his helpers out of their positions. You should notice that Rip waste very little time when putting those screen shots up. This latter movement further emphasis that those older interior men are no longer quick (and have the grit) to go after missed paint shots.
    • Dyess--- has a very limited range and must pick his floating spots. They involve very little creative movement on his part, but his crafty experience does not push the obvious. Still, when he takes his jump shot (best on the team) he is usually wide open, which means if he misses there will be no offensive rebounds.
    • Tay---I don't even want to go here.
    AI drives to the paint at will. Two defenders follow him. He shoves off to who? How many feet away are they? Where there any designed plays for him? Is it any wonder that the players who benefited from AI's drives are the ones closest to the basket (Brown, Amir, JMax)?

Like I said, a measure toward a sense of proportion.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even more important, though, is that DET clearly does not have a system that allows them to play an AI type out there on O.

AI is skilled, but he likes to run, create, and force opposing teams to collapse. The Pistons have the slowest, most methodical offense in the association. AI can still play, but he was just a terrible fit for the Detroit Pistons current personnel and system.