Best move for unhappy AI may be reunion with old adversary

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Menace, Apr 3, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Co-sign.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Based on last night's game I think it's worse. In the 4th last night they did find a way to play with a dominant, on the ball all the time, scorer. Why couldn't they play with AI doing the same thing?

Don't know, but personally I think they didn't want to, perhaps still don't want to, play with someone who comes from the outside.
  3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think this would just support your point, dba, but last night they didn't have rip in the 4th.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Because Bynum was making his shots. In the 4th quarter, he was 6-6 from the floor and 16-18 from the FT line. And he still had time to dish out 2 assists (which were both for 3 I believe). That's 32 points generated by Will Bynum in only 17 possessions.

Bynum was on pace for 72 free throws over a 48 minute game based on his 4th quarter performance! That's Wade/ Lebron James-like.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps the originator of the I-don't-want-to-play-with-anyone-else school.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And, perhaps more than that, a kind of paralyzing presence for the whole team in the fourth quarter since his being available on the court activates what appears, for the whole team, to be the predictable-dribble-at-the-top-of-the-key-while-rip-runs-through-fifty-screens-and-once-in-a-while-gets-open-for-a-jumper. That offense is like the soda machine that is broken but still gives you a coke once in a while.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Because they were still running plays with Bynum so the other 4 are A.) involved and B.) know what is going on.
  8. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

I remember a quote from Prince after the SA game blaming AI carrying them for the failure to finish the game when SA forced the ball out of AI's hands...
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is what I said several weeks ago and got a lot of strange looks.

I think Joe needs to break this thing up. Perhaps the benching of Sheed was a start in that direction.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

reunion with old adversary???

SATAN-n-n-n???????????????
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

That in itself is a problem... Detroit basketball has always been about 5 parts together being better then 5 single players alone. When we win, we are a team that it doesn't matter who scores, who rebounds, who gets the numbers.... one night the 1 scores 30 the next he only scores 8, but the 2 will go off for 30 or maybe the 4 and 5 both put up double double's.... we have been like the mole game you beat down the head, and it pops back up another hole.

Last night is an example, Bynum got hot and went nuts but it didn't feel forced. AI has to be the focus to be effective and that just isn't Detroit basketball.

My real question isn't why did Dumars go out to get him this year, there was money issues that go into that, but why was he in love with getting him back in 2002? or whatever year it was.
  12. roscoe36

Joe also wanted to keep Grant Hill. Joe also wanted to make a play for Chris Webber when he didn't suck.

In hindsight, the mythology is that Joe was this GM with a vision, and he assembled perfection with year over year improvement.

In reality, he got real lucky with Ben Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Larry Brown, Rip Hamilton, Rick Carlisle and Chauncey Billups.

He made a lot of big bets that paid, in some cases (Carlisle, Wallace) he might not even have realized that the bet he was making could pay off big.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ben Wallace played better and the team was more effective when he played for LB and a point was made to get him a couple of touches at the start of the game. You never heard the phrase 4 on 5 those 2 years.

If you don't touch the ball and if you don't know where you are supposed to be on the court you will be less effective. That's just basketball.

You're saying someone like Sheed who doesn't have a contract next year is going to potentially throw away his career in support of CB?

If 13 years of AI's team mates struggling isn't enough to suggest that he is the problem, then how many years will it take? As difficult as it would be for the non-AI Pistons to collude against AI, I would think it would be equally difficult to play 13 years in the L continually surrounded by substandard players and coaches.

Let's go through all the superstar 2's & 3's in the L and try to picture them playing here and having the difficulty meshing that this group had. Wade, Kobe, LeBron, Pierce etc. They all score, but I see a pretty seamless transition.
  14. roscoe36

No that is not at all what I am saying.

I never mentioned AI. I am not talking about AI. This is not about AI.

AI is a non-factor, just like Billups. He will never again play for Detroit.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

You don't think he'll re-sign once he's healthy?

Didn't mean to put words into your mouth. This started when people were comparing Bynum to AI as "ballhogs" and that it must mean that the clique didn't approve of AI.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that it's safe to say that being a GM ain't easy. You have to do your homework, but you also have to take chances. Every once in a while, you're going to be wrong. With Joe, his screw ups don't paint us in a corner. So far there hasn't been anything even close to being Isiah-esque.
  17. roscoe36

The clique mentality is being broken up. Finally.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

True, but the flip-side is he has played it so safe that it has cost them be it with the Jarvis Hayes type signings or trading a bad contract for a necessary player to a team packing it in.

I am not 100% sure of the minute details and I definitely was not out there before the 08 season started saying they should have signed him, but not making a run at Posey cost them. Could they have gotten him with a 2 year deal at the MLE?
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Do you think Sheed, Tay and Rip (Is Dyess in the clique?) are somewhere plotting against Bynum for his outburst yesterday? I don't see how the clique benefits anyone.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The players see more than we do. They see how a guy treats the team when he joins them, how hard he works in practice, how he roots for his teammates, how he offers to help the younger players, and so on. Almost every player who comes to the Pistons comments on how much like a family it is and how great the locker room chemistry is. If a guy has a problem here, then he probably has a problem everywhere.

You see Stuckey run up behind Bynum last night and hug him after the game? The little guy who just took all his 4th quarter playing time and outshined him big time? That is the sort of thing that I think of when I think of the Pistons' culture. Guys are happy for eachother and want the team to win.