Best Players in the NBA going into 13/14

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jul 9, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Who are the 12 best players in the NBA, going into the 2013/14 season.

STARTING LINEUP:

C: M. Gasol

...I think it's safe to say that he's surpassed D. Howard as the best all-around center in the game. He's not as athletic as Howard, but he's just as big, a hell of a defender, a good, disciplined rebounder, and the owner of a much more versatile offensive game. Also a much, much better teammate.

PF: L. James

...I put him at the four. I think he's the most dangerous there. The mismatches he creates from that position are just insane. Big, strong and athletic enough to guard pretty much any four in the league. And it's almost not even fair when any other four needs to guard him.

SF: C. Anthony

...This was the one tough call in the starting lineup. Part of me wanted to insert Steph Curry into the lineup (to spread out the floor), with Durant at the 2. But Steph's a defensive problem. Better off the bench. Part of me wanted to go with George here (him and Durant are interchangeable at the 2 or 3). He really impressed me this post-season. But I'd like to see more. Melo's a lot of problems, but he's still super talented, and he carried the Knicks to a respectable season (bad team, really).

SG: K. Durant

...Quiet season. But there's still not much debate here. Out of position at the two, but not much. Creates insane matchup problems there. Can guard all 2's. Can do all things any other 2 can do on offense.

PG: C. Paul

...He's slipped in some people's minds. But I don't think there's any question here. Parker and Rondo (at 100%) are close, but he's far and away the best play-maker in the game, IMO.

BENCH:

C: D. Howard

...Love him or hate him, it's hard to argue that he doesn't deserve this spot. Best defensive big man in the league (esp. when healthy/motivated). Good boarder. Great athlete. Bury the weird attitude.

PF: K. Love

...Need a true 4 to backup James. Love had a quiet season, but it's just because no one was paying attention / he had no help. Insanely skilled dude with a good attitude. Griffin is really just an ubber athletic dunker, still, IMO. Dirk is very close to Love, but I guess I went with youth. Others (Aldridge, Bosh, etc. are a step behind this group, IMO).

SF: P. George

...He's a 2. But big enough to be a 3, for sure. Real lack of stars at the wing positions in the league right now.

SG: J. Harden

...He's a great talent. Not much behind him at the two now. I'd rather have him than an aged/beat up DWade or Kobe.

PG: S. Curry.

...I like him more as a spot-up off-guard than as a point. But I'm going to take a third point too, so he can have this spot. Spreads the court out better than anyone. Legit superstar.

C: A. Drummond

...I put him on this team over some great big men. And it's not because I'm biased. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the starter of this team at the end of the season. Hibbert's great. Brook Lopez ain't bad. Duncan's Duncan, but getting old. Cousins's talented, but not quite there. A. Davis is intriguing, but not quite there. I take Drummond all day.

PG: K. Irving

...I really like Kyrie. Westbrook's got an attitude I don't care for. Rose and Rondo who knows health-wise. Lillard is intriguing, but not quite there. Derron's fallen off. Parker might've been the best point in the league this season, but he's limping.

HEAD COACH:

G. Poppovich. No question about it, IMO.
  2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

You lost me at Gasol.

I mean, don't get me wrong - he's definitely top 5 - but Duncan had a higher PER, better defensive rating, higher eFG, higher rebound %, higher 3p%, lower TO rate, and led his team to the 7th game of the NBA finals. If we were starting a team I might take Gasol, but even at 37 years old, Duncan is still the better center. And you don't even have him on your team!

James as a PF I can handle, because that puts Durant at the SF. And Paul is still the best PG in the league. And I can even stomach Anthony on the team, but you can't put him over Wade. I mean, I don't really like Wade, but the dude is still the best 2-guard in the league, a hell of a defender, and less selfish than Anthony. And you left him off your team!

Howard, George, and Harden are pretty easy choices. But Kevin Love? Over Griffin, Lopez, and Horford? He had a quiet season because he only played 18 games. To be fair, the PF position is pretty weak right now, but if you gotta cram one in, those guys are better choices.

Speaking of injuries, you take Irving because "Rose and Rondo who knows health-wise" and Parker is "limping." Yet Irving was injured for 23 games last year, too. In fact, the only thing Irving had on Parker was a better 3p%.

I'm not even going to touch the Drummond selection.

Here's mine:
    C: Duncan, Howard, Gasol
    PF: James, Anthony
    SF: Durant, Bryant, George
    SG: Wade, Harden
    PG: Paul, Parker
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Steph Curry is a bad defender. So you replaced him with Carmelo Anthony?
    BallDon'tLie and mikhail1973 like this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kobe is one of the top 2-3 players on the planet right now.
    BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, that's right and I was lost when I didn't read his name in Blue's post... but will Kobe be back for next season?? And how will his injury affect his game?
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I could easily leave Howard off for Noah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (look who's in the game f00!s?!?!)
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  7. blueadams

I don't get the Noah-hype. He's nothing more than a hustle big to me. Good defender and rebounder, due to effort. Very limited offensive game. Not great size, athleticism or skill.
  8. blueadams

Kobe's real banged up. Getting older by the second. I wouldn't trade any of those 1-3's ~ LeBron, Melo, Durant, CP3, George, Harden, Curry or Irving ~ for him on a team next season.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Best pick and roll and switch defender in the L. Great rebounder.
  10. blueadams

I'd rather have Melo against a SF than Curry against a SG. Dig?
  11. blueadams

G

Gasol just won NBA Def MVP. He's probably the best low-post scorer in the game. He's on the right side of 30. Led his team to the conf. finals. Great intangibles. Duncan.. he was limping across the finish line, IMO.

Wade was reaaallly limping. I'll take the 3-1's I picked over him for sure ~ LeBron, Melo, Durant, CP3, George, Harden, Curry and Irving ~ next season for sure.

I think Love is more talented than those you mentioned. Sorry. Besides, Lopez is a 5, I wanted a 4. Horford, I guess, can pass for a 4. But I think Love is more talented than both he and Griffin.

I really like Irving. I think he's the next-gen CP3. Rondo and Rose, coming of ACL surgeries, who knows how they'll recover. Parker was limping old across the finish line last season. Irving's what, 20, 21?
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'd avoid either scenario like a plague
  13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Yeah fair point. I'd put Curry behind Paul on the bench though. And Melo would be on the bench behind George, because I like 2 way players.

I would have also taken Howard over MGasol, and probably Lopez over MGasol as well.

You can't have Drummond on that team over Lopez, Noah, Asik, Hibbert. Thats homer as ****
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was mostly with you until this. Parker is NOT old. He had an injury. You're lumping him in with Duncan and Ginobili.
  15. blueadams

Dude's been logging big NBA minutes since he was 17. He's older than his birth certificate. Putting someone ahead of him other than CP3, I suppose, might still be premature though
  16. blueadams

**EDITED TEAM**

C: M. Gasol, D. Howard, A. Drummond
    PF: L. James, K. Love
    SF: K. Durant, C. Anthony
    SG: P. George, S. Curry, J. Harden
    PG: C. Paul, T. Parker

I stand by my Drummond selection. I think so much of him. There are.. 1, 2.. 2 players on THIS team that I'd trade Drummond for.
  17. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Right now, listed by their primary positions:

C: D. Howard, M. Gasol
    PF: T. Duncan, K. Love
    SF: L. James, K. Durant
    SG ;K. Bryant (injury) J. Harden, D. Wade,
    PG: C. Paul, D. Rose (injury), R. Westbrook.

I know Bryant and Rose is injuried, so it kinda goes against the "right now" part, but I judge from their pre-injury form. Also, It's easy to forget Howard had a back surgery and suffered a shoulder injury during the season. I think he will bounce back this season.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Duncan at least got to the finish line. Gasol couldn't even get there because Duncan's team swept them off the playoffs.

IMO that DPOY award Gasol received was felonious.

I would put Noah ahead of Gasol as well.
    BillLaimbeer and mikhail1973 like this.