Best Point Guard in the NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Mike Kahn at Fox Sports says Allen Iverson really is the Answer at the Guard position. Names the current shooting guard the best Point Guard in the NBA.

Here's how he ranks them;

#1. Iverson
    #2. Nash
    #3. Kidd
    #4. C-note
    #5. Davis
    #6. Bibby
    #7. Marbury
    #8. Arenas
    #9. Parker
    #10. Miller

This is what he says about C-note, " Nobody is more underrated than Chauncey Billups, the floor leader of the two-time Eastern Conference champion Pistons. He is clutch and smart, and growing as a winner every year. As each season passes, he becomes more natural at point guard and he is the inexorable floor leader of the two-time defending Eastern Conference champs. He's the best at allowing the game to come to him and make clutch plays."

Anybody agree or disagree with his line-up?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3900858

Personally I rate C-note tied with Nash at the #1.
    Kidd I see after them, and Iverson? He's a great #2 Guard. If he was playing a #1? Then I'd rank him #1 with Nash and Billups tied at the 2 ranking.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

G-man, Iverson was the PG for the Sixers last year. Look at his #s as the starting point. You could argue that he willed Philly into the playoffs last year.

My ranking goes like this

#1. Nash
    #2. Answer
    #3. Chauncey
    #4. J. Kidd
    #5. Mike Buh-buh-Bibby
    #6. Miller
    #7. B. Davis
    #8. Brevin Knight (gotta give him props)
    #9. Parker
    #10. Arenas/Starbury <-- Now there are some 2s playing the 1. But lousy 1s if you ask me.
  3. max

max All-Star

Point Guards

Thats the hardest position to rank.

The peoples choice is Steve Nash especially since he was the MVP. But his defense is so swiss cheese and his teams never win the big games. Persoannly I would pass on Nash as the PG for my team.

AI did increase his assist totals and FG% since taking over the point. So he is looking for his teammates more and taking better shots. I would keep AI at #1.

Kidd is the best overall PG but he is slowing down and his age is becomming a factor.

Billups. No huge assist total but defensivly he is the best at his position and he is clutch.

In short the only player I would replace Billups with for 1 season is AI.
    So I would move Billups up to #2 and keep AI at #1.
  4. roscoe36

I would agree that Nash is soft on "D", but his shooting and playmaking is excellent. He's the best playmaker in the game alongside J-Kidd, and a much, much better shooter and finisher.

In my mind it has nothing to do with being the MVP. I watched the Memphis and Houston series, and I was sold. And I don't normally go out of my way to cheer Canadian ballers.
  5. G-man

G-man Starter

Nash

He looks so out'a control he's hard to embrace. I bit my tongue and ranked him right up there cause he gets results and changes games with the best. Plus I like his speed and "look off" capabilities. His running into the blocks with his head low, looking at the floor is disconcerting.

But ya have to agree with Max that Nash wouldn't know defense if it hit square him in the face (which it often does).

AI "looks" cooler under pressure and really plays a little big man game. C-Note is cool like dry ice, looks cool but will burn ya if ya get too close. I like my guards cool like ice. :)
  6. max

max All-Star

Best?

G/Man-Micro. It really is a tough call.

If healthy I would take Kidd #1 but since he rarely is anymore. AI is more of a game changer than either Billups/Nash.

On Billups/Nash. How much is defense a question? Does Billups imapact the opposing PG to the point where you are getting more at the point then the opposing team to make up for Nash's flashy numbers?

Also Billups is a great combo guard so you can introduce a 3rd guard at either position.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BupBup is the best

In the East BupBup has proved to be most effective. Only Parker from the West got over on BupBup because he played on a better coached team. AI gets a mention because his "O" is lethal. :hail: :hail: :hail:
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

:suspiciou
    Parker who? :suspiciou
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

San An. Tony, he isn't better, he just got over.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Ohhhhh...you mean Tony Longoria. The only thing he gets over is Eva :hail:

:eyebrows:
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Nash Has Done A Nice Job The Last Year of So

But can anyone seriously compare him to Magic, Zeke, Johnny S. and yes even Michael, though he was not your protoype point guard, he certainly controlled the offense when he played.
  12. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Best PG

Billups. By far the best in the league. AI is all show and in my opinion, a ball hog. Nash is a great playmaker, but his trips to the lower post area bothers me. He creates for others, but a good defensive team (see SA on their series last season) will make him pay if he fails to deliver, due to lack of defensive balance. Who do you guys think is the best not stater PG? I say Arroyo.:eyebrows:
  13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Regarding AI

Philly has failed miserably over the years in doing what the Bulls did: Put good players around a great one. That's why AI is a ballhog. He's simply much better than anyone else on the team and little has been done by the Philly front office over the years to dispel this. It took a great coach to get them to the Finals.
  14. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Comparing AI to MJ is like comparing apples and oranges. MJ was just like AI until he realized basketball is a team sport. His supporting cast wasn't anything out of the ordinary (excluding Pippen and later Rodman), but he was smart enough to share the ball when one of his teammates was open. MJ did what any great player is suppose to do: make the others better.
  15. roscoe36

Put it this way. How good would AI be if you swapped his team for the 89 Bad Boys sans Zeke?

Pretty darn good I reckon.

AI has never had a championship caliber supporting cast. Even the one year they went to the Finals, half of the squad were role players.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm gonna have to agree with PRballer some here.
    I have A.I. rated as the best PG, but he really does need to give the ball up sooner... he gets a lot of assist because he always has the ball in his hands.
    He'll dump it off after he draws a double team with 5 (or less) seconds left in the clock.
    There's a reason CWebb is sorta miffed about not getting many touches... you can only imagine what some of the other lesser known players feel like just standing around watching AI do his thing.
    From a pure talent stand point... there's none better.
  17. ggazoo69

More A.I.

True dat.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'd prolly go with Antonio Daniels 1st... excellent defender always good t.o. / assist ratio... good shooter...
    then maybe Earl Watson...
    I'm sure I'm missing someone here.
    Arroyo has the potential to be the 2nd or 3rd best IMO...
    Certainly could be a pretty good starter for a lotto team.
  19. max

max All-Star

Puertoricanballer/Arroyo

Arroyo had such a bad season but he certainly has the potential to be the best sub PG. One huge plus with Billups is he can swing over the 2 so the team can play a true PG off the bench in a 3 guard set.
  20. ggazoo69

Arroyo

He would be good if passing was the only prerequisite. He needs to improve his D and show an affinity for scoring in the NBA. Again, he needs the right system to be in. Larry Brown's system wasn't it.