Best Point Guard in the NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Micro

Like I said, guys like AI, NASH and BILLUPS can play in almost any system because their skillsets, shooting, passing, penetration, etc.... allow them to play BOTH halfcourt and fullcourt basketball.

Isiah could run and gun or he could slow it up and shoot the ball in the halfcourt. That is where Kidd fails, and fails miserably. The only time he has been successful is where he has had a team that can RUN-n-GUN.

I guess my point is that, those other PG's that were mentioned, ISIAH, STOCKTON, BILLUPS, NASH and AI could pretty much play any style. They had more versatility, so to speak. They weren't "hamstrung" to only a running style.

I know you wanted to say that Stockton was "made" by Malone and Isiah needed Joe, Worm and Vinnie and etc. etc. etc.... But my point is that you plug any of those other PG's into ANY system and they would be successful whereas Kidd NEEDS to run to be successful.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

hmm..we must be talking about another Jason Kidd

We couldn't be talking about the Jason Kidd who led the NBA in triple doubles last year even after being injured for a lot of games.

Nor could we be talking about the Jason Kidd who averages close to 6 rebounds a game for a career and boast an average assists per game that is tied for Zeke for 4th greatest career average all-time.

When Jason Kidd is healthy, the question is who can STOP him from running the break? It's not an easy thing to do. Remember the Pistons attempts to do it under Carlisle?

We can't be talking about the Jason Kidd that has made the NBA all defensive first team 4 times. And NBA first/second team every year since 1998-1999. That's 7 consecutive seasons.

His field goal percentage is atrocious. But he, believe it or not, is an extremely clutch player. I guess he just makes the big ones. It would be interesting to see his field goal percentage during clutch time. Jason Kidd has the ability to take over the game in so many different ways.

The man is good and he deserves all the accolades he has recieved thus far. He is the enemy, but we need to give props where props are due.

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i have to disagree with you there. when you're looking at crunch time, time for guys to make clutch shots...kidd never takes them. he'll let another guy shoot it - sure he might miss being more of a hero, but he also doesn't take the risk of missing the shot and having any blame sent his way. at least that's what i've observed.

4. MotownPride

I would say that most of the time he does seem to find the open man in crunch time, but I have seen him make his share of clutch shots when they are available in the last couple of minutes. I remember times when we played against Kidd and he would shoot like crap for the duration of the game just to make 3 straight at critical times during the 4th quarter. He takes and makes shots when he needs too, but more importantly he seems to always make the right play in the stretch when necessary wether it be tight defense, a great pass, a long rebound, or an uncharacteristic 3 point shot.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

understood. i was more specifically referring to the very last shot of a game, not just within the last quarter or last couple minutes. ;D

6. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

wearing the original pistons "#1"

Chauncey is definiteley the most underrated poing guard in the NBA. I say this in the fact that he is never really seriouosly considered to play in any all star games since he has become apart of the Pistons. But when it all counts and the game/season or championship is on the line anybody with half a brain will tell you he is the PG that you want in there. His ability to make big shots in the clutch and keep his cool in intense situations makes him the most influential PG out there when it counts in the playoffs.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I too think Chauncey is highly underrated. I'm not sure why, either. I know that I can't talk because even after last years MVP finals performance I was thinking Ben or someone else was at least equally deserving. I never really realized how valuable Chauncy was until this years playoffs. The guy shows leadership and grit. He is usually like Ice and hits the big ones consistently.The Pistons are very fortunate to have him.

Wouldn't he be the guy most difficult to replace on the team if he were injured or something? It seems like they could cover the other positions reasonably well, at least temporarily.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Arroyo could do a good job subbing for CB.

9. Darth Tater

Yeah, Arroyo looked really good in that Indiana game. He really fired everyone up too! I hope we get to see more of him this year.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Jason Kidd has the most terrible shot I have ever seen from an AllStar player. Sometimes he can't hit the side of a barn with that broke jay of his. He is actually a liablity to his team during cruch time because everyone is almost certain that if he is not hot he is not going to even think about shooting the ball.

11. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Could anyone honestly

tell me that they could find a better PG in the NBA for the salary that we are paying Billups? I think Billups earns 6-6.5 per year and does anyone actually think there is a better PG in terms of bang for your buck?

The guy is an NBA FINALS MVP and one of the most clutch 3-PT and FT shooters in recent history. I gotta give it up for Joe to see the value in a guy like CB and to sign him long-term.

12. MotownPride

It's a steal!

absolutely NOONE better at that price. Joe was very smart to sign him for a longterm deal quickly.

13. Fool

Fool First Round Draft Pick

Billups is nowhere near as good as Nash, AI, Kidd, at fullcourt basketball. I would rate him (Billups) as adequate, at best.

(I do agree that Billups is a phenominal bargain contract wise.)

14. Darth Tater

I know you guys are talking about overall talent, but I really wouldn't trade Billups for Iverson, Kidd, or Nash for this particular Pistons team. He's a great fit. If I had to trade Billups I'd take Nash for this team. He can shoot and pass.