1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Big Ben's Back Becoming A Problem?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Latinoking90, Oct 11, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't know. If the other starters were getting their min reduced as Curry is doing, it would be no big deal, but if not then it's unlikely. I think Ben is able to put the ego aside on another team, but never would be able to as a Piston; just because of the persona he's established here. (Or maybe he's able to on the Cavs b/c the experience in CHI was so awful that he doesn't care anymore about a specific # of minutes anymore).

If Ben stayed, it would be painful watch Ben decline in DET for us and i think for him as well. To other teams he's not really "Big Ben", he's just another player on their team.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Me too.
    However, I would have messed his desk up each and every morning.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't go near Curry's desk unless invited, that's for sure.
    :smash:

:crutch:

4. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

I disagree. I'm not sure exactly what would have happened if he had stayed ... well, maybe Flip would have been fired a lot sooner ... but,

I still see it as a lose-lose. Ben was on the downside, but he was almost the perfect fit here. Plus, with him gone, the defensive weakness of the guards was exposed big time.

Joe D manuevered everything to bring him back, but I don't think Joe was really prepared for Ben's exit - Joe didn't seem to have a plan-B. Thus, 2 years later we were replacing Ben with McDyess which weakened the bench.

Meanwhile, Ben got paid but he has yet to fit in ... feuding w/ everyone in Chicago and now health issues in Cleveland. I'm guessing he wishes that things had been a lot different here in Detroit.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still think that, knowing everything he knows now, if given the opportunity to go back in time and do it over, Ben would still choose to leave the Pistons.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but I think he made a financial decision.

From Joe's perspective, knowing everything he knows now, if given the opportunity to do it again, he would have given Ben an even lower offer.

6. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

Unless there was a scenario where Flip wasn't here, there was no way that Ben was going to come back. Joe made a reasonably fair offer to Ben, but I have no problem with him leaving for more either (considering the circumstances).

Problem with offering Ben less? You get what you pay Nazr. :doh:

7. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

interesting enough, just last nite I had a dream that saw Ben Wallace return to Detroit.

8. max

max All-Star

I think we have to keep in mind the fact that Ben did say it was about the money when he chose to sign with the Bulls. He said he felt insulted by the Pistons offer and also said he prefered the Bulls style of play. So part of it was Flip but the evidence points to the money.

With that said it should not take away from his playing career with the Pistons. We would not have won that 04 title without him.

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think our offer would have offended him as much if a) Flip wasn't in the picture and b) he had signed before the Bulls threw a Brinks truck of money at him.

I'll agree with you on that. I think that was why I was so upset when he left. Big Ben was the face of this franchise for 6 years.

10. max

max All-Star

I think his Chic experience was a reality check for him. Curious to know if he still thinks the money was worth it because I don't think it was all about Flip. If that was the case then other Pistons would have been asking for trades and wanting out and such. Pistons saw no such activity for those 3 years. A lot of mistakes were made by both him and the way the Pistons reacted to the news but I don't think its accurate to throw it all on Flip.

Cavs mainly used Ben to dump another high contract for a guy that would have played less for them.

Overall the only team I know that signs guys to huge contracts with the knowledge that they may play less than 30 MPG are the Knicks. Other teams cannot afford that.

Be nice to see if Ben can succeed in a comeback. If anyone can do it I am sure it could be him.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Ben has played a lot of career minutes down low. I think his body's time is up.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He didn't start until pretty late in life though.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Let's not forget he's also walking around with multiple injuries incurred over the years that he has opted not to have surgery to repair.

It's likely all finally catching up to him.

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The wind drag generated by Ben's 'fro' :afro: places additional strain on his lower back. Perhaps a more aerodynamic hairstyle would serve him better.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In terms of mileage (minutes played in reg season + playoffs + all star games), Ben checks in at 31,011 minutes.

For comparison, Sheed is currently at 37,427 and Wilt Chamberlain finished with 55,806.

So, Ben is at 83% of Sheed's mileage and 55% of the Big Dipper's.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I would argue that if you drive around with bad tires and shocks, it's going to ultimately be worse on your car, even if you don't drive it as far. :)

Take into account unnatural compensation and overcorrection to his gait, in order to adjust for pain, and the back problems make complete sense.

He should have never left Arnie.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are you blaming his And 1's?

Wilt didn't even wear shoes half the time. Here he is pictured with Steve Kerr.
    [​IMG]

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Obviously I'm blaming his feet and legs.

He has bone spurs.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

good numbers but to continue your car line.... ben's mile's were all on the off road, where sheed likes to coast alot on the express way and wilt... well wilt was just a man playing among boys so he did his road driving in a tank :).

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wilt came off the assembly line on a Friday though, right before the famous '36-'37 UAW strike, so he had to overcome the lemon factor.