BIG GREEN MSU topic

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think he sucks because he had so many turnovers in the Boston College game, which I believe was the primary reason MSU lost.

Look at this year. What's his completion rate? How many interceptions? fumbles? How many times does he miss the open receiver?

He doesn't have to be Stanton, but when was the last time Hoyer won a game for MSU? Hell, even I could hand off to Ringer all day.

2. Darth Tater

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a lame story. :yawn:

4. Darth Tater

Only if you don't get the Notre Dame hate thing.

"Once they just needed the jersey to hate. Now they just hate the coach.
    He’s the personality. Good or bad, fair or not, he’s the program, the driving force who rallies his players, draws in the recruits and enrages the opposing stadiums.

There’s no sympathy for Weis, few willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he tries to rebuild his program. He inspires little patience.
    He always seems to be in the middle of some flair up, on this day breaking the rules by having a laptop on in the coach’s box. Whether its intent was nefarious or not (Weis says it wasn’t) it was shut down by officials. It’s why no one wants to hear any excuses."

Sorry Charlie - College Football - Rivals.com

5. Darth Tater

Really good article:

A winning identity: Dantonio's focus on fundamentals pays off | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

After years of hoping for an identity, MSU finally has one.

The Spartans are getting a reputation for being physical at the point of attack on both sides of the ball, the trademark Dantonio envisioned.

It's what vaulted Ringer to his second straight 200-yard rushing game, two more rushing touchdowns and a humility shown when he brought his 10 offensive linemen to stand in the news conference behind him.

It's how the crushing defense held a team that scored 56 points the first two weeks to just seven and scared the Irish enough to just run the ball four times in the second half and total just 16 rushing yards.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm figuring these guys are the real thing. That's why I said 9-10 victories. Your QB is a natural leader. I think he will improve his stats as the year goes on. Seems like the MSU program has been [STRIKE]in the toilet[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]really sucking[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]poor and inconsistent[/STRIKE] down for so long, that you would welcome the change. I personally haven't claimed to have seen a good MSU team for over 20 years.

7. Darth Tater

I like everything that I see with this team except Hoyer. You guys must be seeing something in that quarterback that the majority is missing. I wish I knew what it was. Believe me...

8. Nemo

I will go as far as to say that you will see Hoyer on Sundays in the NFL. He will be drafted and get his chance to play. His career will be more signifigant than the career of Stanton as a Pro.

9. Darth Tater

:pound:Nemo, I think you just like him because he is your ticket to scUM :stirthepot:kicking our butts once again this year. Now I know you are just messing with me.

Stanton may or may not have a good NFL career (especially since he is on the Lions and with his injury history) but I would be SHOCKED if any team would be dumb/crazy enough to draft Hoyer. Even Matt Millen wouldn't dra...OK, let's not go there.:MusicBigGrin:

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Okay...now you're going to the other extreme with Hoyer. He will end up in the NFL, but I see him bouncing from team-to-team as 3rd QB filler material. If his career turns out to be more significant than Stanton's, it will only be due to longevity resulting from not playing regularly. IMO Stanton is a better athlete, has a higher football IQ, and is a better leader. But his fierce competitiveness is a curse because he doesn't hold back enough to keep out of injury situations. And it won't help his career that he was drafted by the Lions, perennial abusers of talented college quarterbacks.

11. Darth Tater

Alright. Tell me where you guys see Hoyer on this list.

Scout.com: 2009 NFL Draft - Ranking The Quarterbacks

[SIZE=-1]Going into the 2008 season, here are the top prospects to watch out for. For now, only FBS/D-I players who'll be eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft are listed. The player analysis will come later this summer. Remember, this isn't a ranking of the best college players. Yes, there sometimes is a difference between being a good pro prospect and a productive college football star.

[/SIZE]
    1. Tim Tebow, Florida (Junior)
    2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia (Junior)
    3. Nate Davis, Ball State (Junior)
    4. Curtis Painter, Purdue
    5. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (3rd Year Sophomore)
    6. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan (Junior)
    7. Cullen Harper, Clemson
    8. Colt McCoy, Texas (Junior)
    9. Mark Sanchez, USC (Junior)
    10. Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    11. Mitch Mustain, USC (Junior)
    12. Josh Freeman, Kansas State (Junior)
    13. Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic (Junior)
    14. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech
    15. Todd Boeckman, Ohio State
    16. Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
    17. Chase Daniel, Missouri
    18. Todd Reesing, Kansas (Junior)
    19. Willie Tuitama, Arizona
    20. Chase Holbrook, New Mexico State
    21. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State (Junior)
    22. Tom Brandstater, Fresno State
    23. Ryan Perrilloux, LSU (Junior)
    24. Mike Teel, Rutgers
    25. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M

OK, They do have him 16th here (I was VERY surprised to see him on any list).

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009QB.php

Brian Hoyer, Michigan State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.83.
    Projected Round (2009): 5-6.

3/26/08: Brian Hoyer was pretty impressive in 2007, considering he was a first-year starter. He accumulated 2,725 yards, 20 touchdowns and 11 picks.

Irregardless, I still don't see him getting drafted.

12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Well, I doubt he would be drafted, maybe in a late round. Stanton however, I think you'll see him as soon as October starting. It would not surprise me if the offense really starts to take off with him. Kitna CANNOT move and this offense is predicated on it.

13. Nemo

All you doubters of the HOYER magic, let's see how the season plays out. See me in January with a QB list. I'm figuring a top 6 candidate.

14. Darth Tater

May those words travel directly from your lips to God's ears...:victory:

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Looks like the Boyz in Green got the job done with another huge game from Ringer. Indiana had a better than advertised Defense, but Hoyer did just enough to keep them off balance to get the win. Spartan defense was caught off guard and hit on some good plays by the Hoosiers. Win is a win!

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Wiley went for the hit (and missed) instead of the tackle on the 79 yard TD to Thigpen. The Sparties could have given the ball to Ringer on the last play so he could crack 200 yards for the 3rd week in a row, but did the honorable knee.

It wasn't pretty, but I'm happy with Dantonio's brand of football :)

18. Nemo

Look for MSU to be ranked today. I'm figuring on about 22-24. They'll be close to OSU who will slip with an uninspiring win over Minnesota.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

With all the upsets this weekend I expect OSU to move up a notch or 2 and Wisconsin to fall back a number of spots...they didn't look at all good against UM.

I'd rather the Sparties stay unranked for another week or 2

20. Darth Tater

It was only Indiana. Sparty moves to #28 tops, I think.
    I don't know which teams close to them and ahead of them lost, but I'd be shocked if they crack the top 25. Nemo, you just like to play with Sparty's emotions by offering us false hope.:gun1:

The game was actually televised in Idaho (can't figure out why, but I'm grateful). It was fun to watch (Wish I could watch my teams without suffering heart attacks every time).

Hoyer looked DECENT. Not good, but acceptable.
    Couple of dropped passes that weren't his fault, but he also overthrew an open receiver on what easily would have gone for 7.

WTF was up with Indiana almost going for it in the 2nd quarter on 4th & 12????

Defense didn't look so good.

If/when Ringer goes down...season OVER. He is really portrayed as a good guy...so nice to see after guys like Rogers and company.

Michigan ignored the victory because scUM beat Wisconsin. I guess that's fair enough.

Dantonio continues his good coaching job from last season. Keeping them focused.

As always, I'm very happy and excited with the victory for MSU, but I know the script... It's just a matter of when...not if...

S