1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Bill D. donated $60mil to UofM, why not Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    According to Free Press, Bill D. gave almost $60mil to UofM over the years.
    Donor gives U-M heart center $50M

According to another source, not sure how reliable, he's worth $4.1bil and donated tens or possibly hundreds of millions to different causes.

The Arab American News

Why wouldn't he want to spend on Pistons? Any opinions?

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

he is spending on the pistons.

3. mikhail1973

I know he is. What I meant is that he won't go over the cap, he stays away from the luxury tax even if it makes the team worse.

4. mikhail1973

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's so much more complicated than simply putting it at the feet of Davidson exclusively.

Palace Sports & Entertainment operates the Pistons. If my facts are correct, William Davidson is the majority owner, however there still may be some minority owners in the picture.

What is interesting is that the salary cap is based off of BRI (Basketball related income) which has been in an upward trend for some time, and the Pistons owning their own building certainly puts them on the higher end of the earning spectrum.

Make no mistake, the Pistons do invest in the team, but it may be in more profitable ventures such as improvements and amenities than in wins. It's a business, and they run it very responsibly as such.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And it's not like spending loads of money makes you a better team with any degree of assurance. Can you say Knicks?

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Why no love for Wayne State? C'mon!

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This was a tax write off nothing more. It also gives him good press as being a nice guy giving to charity. It also makes him feel good to give back.

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You can't be serious. The U of M is one of the top educational institutions in this country!!!

If Mr. D. was just looking for a tax write off he could have given the money to some very needy charities which there are tens of thousands.

:hoops:

10. mikhail1973

Also, business expense is another tax write-off. Paying more in player salaries means paying less in income tax.

11. buddahfan

Please don't be condescending.

His primary reason for giving to the U. of M. had nothing to do with a tax write off, even though the legal group that gave the money may get one.

You have no idea which legal group among his holdings donated the money and how it was structured from a tax point of view.

On the other hand anyone who knows anything about the better educational institution in America will tell you that the U. of M is right up there at the top.

Sometimes rich people do something primarily for humanitarian reasons.

Thanks

12. buddahfan

I almost forgot.

They also have a great sports program. I don't recall seeing how much of that money will go to their sports program, but it could very well a goodly chunk of it.

:hoops:

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

U of M is regarded as one of the top educational institutions. This is correct. They also are one of the top research institutions in the country as well. So Mr. D donating money helps educate our youth as well as help further research efforts. I did not say he was only looking for a tax write off, but the tax write off that comes along with it helps.

14. iamthefuj

iamthefuj Second Round Draft Pick

For anyone actually interested, a large segment of Davidson's contribution over the years has gone toward the foundation of The William Davidson Institute at the Ross School of Business at U of M. It focuses on research and education surrounding emerging market economies. Mainly, how business can improve the welfare of those in traditionally poor countries and the impact on existing entities. It's fascinating stuff.

One of his company's made a major contribution in the early '90s and Bill has continued to support the Institute since. So to sum it up, while Davidson's companies do receive certain tax benefits from these donations, the fact that the money is going toward a very specific, socially beneficial cause probably means he's trying to do the public some good at the same time. His entire life isn't necessarily dedicated to basketball...I'm a recent grad and I think what he's done for us rocks.

15. mikhail1973

All of it is good. All I am asking is: can he do more good for the locals here by opening that wallet a bit wider to bring more players in? I think it is a socially beneficial cause.
    :pound:

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i prefer financially responsible player signings. it makes things interesting. we have some flexibility instead of the Minny situation. Also, look at Atlanta, if I had any pity, some of it would go to hawks fans.