Bill Davidson HOF Candidate This Year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 18, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Its an interesting list of people including Dick Vitale and the 1966 Texas Western Team. I didn't have a clue on the Texas Western team until I read the article.

AD is also a finalist, but if he gets elected he will not go in as a Piston.

ESPN.com - NBA - Jackson, Mullin, Vitale among HOF finalists

:hoops:

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

For those that don't know. Pre-TV days Vitale did a short term in prison as coach of the Pistons back in 78 and 79. They were really terrible back in those days for those that don't recall or know. His record as a Piston coach in those two years was 34 and 60.

Since the Pistons were the only NBA team he has ever coached I don't believe he has gotten to be a finalist this year because of his NBA coaching record. LOL

:hoops:

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Remember the big slogan the year he came (it was right after his success with U of D).

The Pistons are "revitalized".

They were horrible (even worse than the Lions), but I saw a lot of games those years, could get into the games with an empty Maxwell house coffee can and somehow it was the time that I became a huge Pistons fan. Go figure.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's funny that coaches can get elected to the HOF while still coaching and players have to wait until they a few years removed from their playing days, yeah Jackson played on a NBA championship Knick team, but his HOF props would be more for the 9 rings as coach and he is still coaching for more.

Yeah Dickie V, coached U of D and the Pistons in the late 70's, but he is known more for giving props and recognizing diaper dandies etc at the collegiate level on TV and promoting them for future NBA superstardom. ( in very excitable way)

As far as Dantley is concerned, he did represent the Pistons at the All-Star game either last year or the prior in the Shooting Stars competition, (in this years Bill Laimbeer role) but that is as far as he will go probably as it relates giving the Pistons any credit in his HOF accomplishments. The Aguirre-Dantley trade in 89 still garners some ill thoughts and he probably should have been voted a players share or even given a ring for the first Ship based on his assistance in getting them them to elite status in 87 and 88.

buddha, go rent Glory Road, it's been out on DVD since September and not only tells the account and history of the what the players went thru on this 1968 Texas Western national championship team, (now known as UTEP) but the story is a winner and very enjoyable.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Dantley is the best choice, IMHO. But the Hall has a history of recognizing racially significant teams like the New York Rens, so the Texas Western squad (led by Highland Park's own Bobby Joe Hill) has a good shot -- especially since they've had so much hype lately.

Mullin might get in. Great collegiate career, excellent pro career, big East Coast connections. Not too different really from Richie Guerin, a very good guard in the 50s and 60s.

No way Vitale should get in. His college coaching career was pretty short, though he did a great job resurrecting the U of D. Ultimately the only long-term success he ever built was the Celtics of the 1980s, thanks to the disastrous Bob McAdoo trade.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Vitale is a lock to get in. He is such a great ambassador for the sport of basketball. The Basketball Hall of Fame is all about contribution to the sport, which makes Dickie V a shoe-in.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Vitale is up as a contributor. His coaching stint in Detroit is forgettable. The Pistons hired him for a PR splash because he was a local hero and they couldn't get people to games.

Their mistake was in making him the coach and GM. The man was a terrible talent evaluator and a walking heart attack as a coach. If I remember correctly, he had to be dragged out of Cobo Hall once by staff/security.

8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

What exactly has he done over the past 20 years or so except make every person he comes into contact with loathe Duke? I might be biased, since Vitale almost single-handedly ruined my interest in NCAA-league basketball, but I'm curious if his embassy has really been widely appreciated.

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Honestly, I'd say Vitale's biggest contribution has been to Vitale's bank account. What has happened in college basketball that wouldn't have happened without him? ESPN would still have become a colossus, interest in NCAA hoops would still have skyrocketed and Duke would still have won a pile of basketball games.

And just to be clear, I like the guy. He brought a ton of excitement to U of D games when I was growing up, and I still remember the first game he ever broadcast after retiring, shouting "they're slapping skin in Highland Park" after every Terry Duerod jumper until he lost his voice in the second half.

Hmmm. Maybe I just answered my own question. Post-Vitale, hundreds of publicity-starved announcers suddenly found a market for screaming, unprofessional homerism.