Bill Davidson passes away at age 85

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 2Tough4You, Mar 13, 2009.

1. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Don't feel bad for the guy...he lived one hell of a life and died very late. Won SEVEN championships from the Pistons, Shock and Tampa Bay Lightning.

That said, now that he’s laid to rest, it’s a chance for us to celebrate the positive things he achieved. My first instinct was sadness, its a good chance to look back on an extraordinary business man who took the Ft. Wayne Zollner Pistons and turned them into a repeat champion and one of the few profitable teams in the NBA.

Quite a lot to look up to.

With that, RIP, Mr. D. May you sleep quietly and contently, knowing you lived a life that few aspire to.
  2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I'm related to Bill Davidson on my mother's side. Growing up I always heard about the great scandal in our family when my grandfather was ousted from Guardian Glass after a falling out with his partner (Bill Davidson's father). This all happened in the 1930s and my grandfather ended up trying to hide stock or something and ended up in Attica prison for a few years. Quite the family scandal and I only learned a little about this about 10 years ago. I never met Bill Davidson but he's definitely in the family genealogy that someone put together.

I know they haven't said the cause of death but heart failure would be my best guess. It's in the gene pool and I hope the Pistons stay in the Davidson family because they run a really good operation. Now maybe the Pistons will have a focus to play their best basketball heading into the playoffs.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

RIP Mr. D. Thanks for everything.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

AnOldskOOl perspective:

1974- I was 11 years old , a 5th grader at Region 5 Middle school , recieved first kiss by a girl (Lenora Thompson-science class-right on the ear) , also:

-i watched Happy Days a lot...and I mean, a LOT
    - I saw Notred dame end UCLA's winning streak. Notred Dame basketball used to come on every saturday and i wanted to be like Adrian Dantley Or Don "Duck' Williams (who later made a cameo in WHITE MEN CANT JUMP)
    - I can recall that army guy flying over the white house
    - Watergate , Nixon and Ford
    - I watched Hank aaron hit #715 as Curt Cowdy made the call on NBC
    - Foreman knocked out by Ali as my jaw dropped as well
    - Remember when Cleveland hosted '10 cents a beer night'? And had to forfiet the game? My family cracked up cuz we hate Ohio!
    - I was listening to Olivia newton John, Steely Dan, barry white,Queen, and Joni Mitchell's "Help me"....hey Im STILL listening to it.
    - Patty hearst
    - I remember going to the drive in to see Blazing saddles. Being the lil immature kid I was, I only could recall telling my friends about one scene:
    THE BEANS EATING FART SCENE!!! That was cool.
    - Also , we went to see The Towering infreno. My mom cried the whole movie.
    - I watched my first super bowl and loudly rooted AGAINST fran tarkenton.
    - My hate for the Celtics began.
    - I liked walking down to the Olympia. Just to stand outside it talking to people , black and white and all, about sports. my father told me "I was out of control for my age!"
    - Oh yea, remember listening to 'Living for the City' by stevie wonder? Wow, what a song.(DYK? The POINTER sisters won a grammy that year for a COUNTRY song and Elvis won for a Gospel song?)
    - Al kaline retired in a sad 97 loss year with 3007 hits and the team was so bad that Kaline STILL led the team with 64 RBI's. But I still had Ernie and Paul on WJR.
    - And John Hiller did something we will never see again...went 17-14 as a closer! lol
    - and then there were the Pistons.

I can recall the imposing shoes of Bob Lanier more than anything. but i also remember how Mr D and Ray Scott brought some swagger to Downtown detroit. The minks and pimp hats were all the rage at the Cobo. And the Pistons were a GREAT Chicago Bulls team away from evevntually losing to the CELTS (Rot in Hell, Tom Boerwinkle!!!) But I used to get a kick out of this team.
    Now, 35 years later, I still laugh at farts, listen to Steely Dan and love my Pistons. I owe this to Mr D. He built a championship team with the Bad boys who' make up was:
    - a coach no one else gave a shot at 59 yrs old
    - a backup center who couldnt jump
    - a small two guard from Louisiana-whatziz?
    - a backup fireplug from Brooklyn
    - A moody power forward who only shot fadeaways
    - a wildcard from the biblebelt who no one ever heard of
    - a stringbean 6-11 joker
    - a loudmouth bully once called McNasty
    - 3 small forwards til we got the one our star wanted
    and
    - a point guard who alll undersized ballers could look up to who was actually a power forward trapped in a point guards body from the ghetto of Chicago mentored by a coach who once said 'women should enjoy rape' and who once got in a fight with his future wife in college bcuz she caught him cheating in 'her' dorm! LOL

THEN ...AFTER REALIZING TEAL WAS ILL....

He asked Dumars to reconstruct the team with the same type of vagabonds that gave Detroit our most success:

A bunch of guys no one else wanted. A starting five that featured :
    - a skinny senior from Kentucky when al the gOOD players left college early
    - a foul mouthed underachiever
    - a 7 team failure who was picked number 3 in his draft
    - a thin slice of bologna from Coatesville PA
    - a monster who only knew how to wear an afro

And the results : one of only 5 teams with 3 or more NBA Champoinships (Bost, LA, SA, Chicago)

The Stabilizer? To me, Oscar D. The man who once claimed "I dont see color anymore" and was the visionary behind Roundball One. He never ranted at officials or paraded himself on television. People wonder why Zeke didnt run the show when he retired back in the day? Well look at Zeke NOW! And I love number 11, but those of us who knew ...KNEW.
    It took Zeke's guts to run a basketball team but its the same thing that prevented him from running a basketball 'organization'. Joe D was the obvious choice to be Osacr's right hand man.

Some folks will never KNOW what it was like to be a fan during the COBO days...the VITALE days...the TEAL days. But just remember this about Mr D. He brought WINNING a life style to the Metro Detroit scene. He made Mike Illich want to be better and even was a reason Ford Field got built. D for Detroit and D for Davidson are very synonimous with each other.

And for that , to his family, I - a little back boy from Puritan and wyoming- am Grateful.

-
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Reelin' in the years...

That was great SKOOL :thumb:
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That was really good HQ.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

R.I.P MR. D.

Wow....wish he was my boss. And also wish my current boss is something like him.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

T- hanks......

front page good?.................:burgereater:
  9. roscoe36

I wuz thinking that...
  10. roscoe36

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

HQ,

That was a great piece. I actually took the time to read the entire post.

I'm surprised more people didn't comment positively on it, but I think maybe only us old guys who grew up in or around Detroit can fully appreciate it.

Definitely one of the best pieces I've ever read in here.

Well thought out and articulated and so very real. Thanks for the memories that you shared with us.

:cheers:
  12. roscoe36

I'm quite a bit younger than you and HQ, but that nostalgia is something I have identified with my entire life. There is something about Windsor-Detroit.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I read that earlier but had my kids and [STRIKE]noose[/STRIKE] wife around so I didn't fully digest it. That was really good HQ. You made me feel like I'm there now.
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thanks to all for your comments. I think nostalga pieces are my best work. I put the OLD in OldskOOlhQ! LOL

Its from the heart!
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

16. roscoe36

Thank you HQ. :)
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great tribute Old School, you need to your Piston Nation segment on the CT website.

Puritan Wyoming. huh???..that means that for awhile we lived six blocks away from each other...as I was Wyoming and Lodge from 69-80. Did you go to Post Jr Hi too??
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Nice post, really wraps up the thoughts of most of us young fans (post Teal), Middle age fans... me included (mid 80's to present) and the Old timers (you :p) into a wonderful read.

thanks for the time and effort you put into it.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Props HQ.

Mich Album's got nothin' on ya bro!
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

MY PC was down...sorry for teh late response...No I went To Region 5 Middle school then we moved to 6mile/Evergreen where I attended Emerson Jr High down the street from Ford HS.