Bill Davidson speaks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lurker, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Then maybe he shouldn't be acting like someone forced Saunders onto him. He gets all uppity about hiring somebody and touting them as great for the organization, the they're outta here upon letting the screen door slam one too many times. Perhaps they would find better, longer lasting members of the franchise if they actually did an exhaustive search rather than just hiring the next guy in line which appears to be going on regularly.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You said this: "I wasn't the guy that went and touted him (Curry) as a character upgrade. Davidson did."

Davidson said he wanted Saunders gone. I assumed it was for lack of results, not lack of character.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You misunderstood my post. I wasn't talking about Curry. I was talking about Saunders. Davidson said he was hiring Saunders because he "wasn't going to give them (the fans) someone who's not a good person." Those are his words, not mine.

If that isn't suggesting someone is a character upgrade, then I don't know what is and if that was one of the reasons he used in getting rid of Brown and hiring Saunders, then it should also play a factor in making him not so enthusiastic about getting rid of the guy. Plain and simple.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Excellent post.........I never considered this..
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're right. We weren't on the same page. No problem.
  6. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

I have heard that several times. I could have sworn at the time Joe even said it was a move Mr. D asked him to make. In retrospect you can't really argue that it wasn't the right move. I have no confidence we would have won the championship with Carlisle as head coach. Carlisle is a very good coach but he is no LB. LB has a TON of faults but he is one the top couple of coaches out there.

Lastly, I hate to see people ripping on Mr. D. The guy has owned one of the best/ most consistant franchises in the NBA. He has never been afraid to spend money to make the team better. In fact if I remember correctly the Palace was entirely funded by him. How many other franchises in ANY sport can say the same? At a time when almost every franchise in the NBA was raising ticket prices Mr. D OKd Joe Ds recommendation to lower ticket prices. Sounds like pretty much the perfect owner to me.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And the best part is that he rolls on Shabbos!
  8. Nemo

He doesn't hold a candle to Illitch.........:)
  9. Mike Honcho

I agree Mr. Illitch is a great owner as. Remember when everyone was ripping him for being such an aweful owner of the Tigers??? I think pretty much everyone over-rates the importance an owner plays in producing a winning team. Most owners make zero decisions on personel and very little on coaching staff. There are very few Jerry Jones' or Cubans out there.
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    If only Fords would sell Lions... :stirthepot:
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep. That's the owner who deserves our criticism.
  12. Mike Honcho

He deserves our critisism because he has placed so much faith blindly in Millen. I firmly believe you can't fire a GM after only 2 years because it really takes 3-4 but I'd say Millen has made his ineptitude very evident.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I believe that Fords do try, however they don't pick right personnel and they stick with their hires as if to prove the world wrong. The fans are suffering though.
  14. Darth Tater

He's messed up with his GM's all the way back to Russ Thomas. He lets his personal feelings get in the way of sound business judgment, and has admitted it.
  15. Nemo

I cannot like Ford because he refuses to sell the team. He realizes that his ownership has been less than satisfactory. He is unwilling to sell the team to better owners (anybody else). This makes him lower than pond scum.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Completely agree. The Fords have no passion for the franchise, yet gladly suck money from dolts that attend every Sunday. I refuse to attend another Lions game until the Fords no longer own them.
  17. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

I don't even support the team anymore, since I left the State Of Michigan a few years back. Now, I'll watch football games, and check in on the Detroit Lions, but if they win, great. If they lose, I'd expected that anyway.

I'd rather have Owners like Bill Davidson or Mike Ilitch any day of the week over that moron William Clay Ford Senior. They try, and when they screw up, admit it, and get people to fix the mistakes that they made. Ford, on the other hand, will let the same nitwit stay in the job that he's previously proved that he's incapable of doing, and compounds the mistake by giving that nitwit (from Russ Thomas to Matt Millen) more power over the team, and even to give them a bigger Contract with more $$$. Idiot!!!

:-(
  18. Darth Tater

Word!! Good post.