Bill Laimbeer: will he make a good coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

As everyone knows, I am not drinking the kool-aid that says Laimbeer is the fix all for the Pistons coaching needs.

Let me begin by saying I am a Piston fan, born and raised in Detroit. I went to games at Cobo, The Silverdome and the Palace. I witnessed Bing, Lanier, Isiah, Laimbeer, and Rodman. I know where the Pistons have been and where they are now.

I loved those two ships the "Bad Boys" won. The personality of the team was beautiful, the style of play intimidating. Laimbs was right there in the thick of it all, he was hated by coaches, players and fans of opposing teams, however, I remember Daly would say that every summer the orginization always recieved offers for his services.

After experiencing overwhelming success in the WNBA, his name has always been mentioned as a possible coach for the Pistons. His fiery in your face personality as a player has become his trademark as a coach.

Will that personality work in the NBA?

It has for some. Look at Popovich for the SA Spurs. Dude looks at some of his players as if they killed his dog, and isn`t shy about telling them about it either. It doesn`t matter if he is a veteran or rookie. Pop has earned that respect as a coach. As far as I know he hasn`t won jack playing in the NBA. (I may be wrong on that, if I am someone will let me know I`m sure).

Will Laimbs get the respect from players that most seem to think he will? Being an "in your face guy" does not guarantee success.

Will his team tune him out? Or, will they bust their asses for him because he won two championships as a player?

In the NBA as well as any other organized team sport, if the players don`t produce usually it`s the coach that must go.

I would love to see Laimbeer get a chance as a coach and be a success. I just feel he needs some kind of experience in the league before accepting a head coaching position.

We all love Laimbeer, I just think some of us are letting emotion get the best of us when thinking he can actually take the Pistons and be an instant winner.

Well, it`s up to Joe D and Mr Davidson.

Just my 2 cents............

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

First of all Dlev, lets all not just assume that Laimbeer is the exact same guy that was busting chops in the NBA. Relatively speaking, he was a youngster then, and I at least would have expected some personal growth during the years he has spent as a businessman and a coach of the Detroit Shock.

I have to believe that as a WNBA coach he has found a way to deal with his players that doesn't mirror him and Barkley going toe to toe under the basket until their eyes are black and blue. :)

This is the kinder, gentler Bill Laimbeer we are talking about, not the player that took bows while the crowd booed and didn't give a crap.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

cases in point:

1.) Mahorn has NBA coaching experience, and yet he is Bills assistant.

2) Dumars has stated just today that "experience" means jack to him. He is looking for principles and the capacity to adhere to them no matter what. Sounds like he is setting us up for an inexperienced guy. That guy is likely Curry, but Laimbeer fits the profile nevertheless, or irregardless if you will.

4. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Does a principled guy mean cheap on the budget? I don't get the Curry candidacy push. Why not Laimbs, he is more qualified than Curry but I don't his name being mentioned in presses.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Can you clarify what do you mean by "more qualified"? :stirthepot:

:pound:

Seriously though, Laimbeer was never touted as having the same in-game knowledge that Michael Curry has. Curry was the NBA equivalent of genius when it came to pure B-ball knowledge and due diligence. He translated that into work with the players union and has far surpassed Bill in the "networking" department.

Depending on what Joe is looking for Curry may be more than qualified for the job. He is the closest thing to hiring another teams GM to be your coach than just about anyone else, and don't doubt that one day thats where he will be, as he really knows his stuff.

6. Dlev59

That`s funny.

In the thread Curry will be our next coach, you had Laimbeer as his assistant hit man!

Now, he is a kindler gentler Bill?

Or, that`s just him as an assistant?

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think he's experienced enough to know how to temper his rage, instead of just being a general arse.

I speak from experience here. :pound:

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

In other words, I think Bill has learned when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

In your scenario I think he knows when to walk away, in mine I feel that he knows when to run...... after players that are screwing up. :pound:

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He won't make a good coach because he'll never get the chance to try...at least with Detroit. :(

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I assume that Laimbs' hardline personality is what makes him a popular choice to lead a team known for its lack of focus at times, but would he have that much more credibility with the players than Curry? I doubt that NBA players would consider his record with the Shock to be of any real significance.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

But as a player he was a major piece of the championship puzzle. Not a Rick Fox or a John Salley type, he was a crucial guy, and one of the leaders.

This has to carry some weight, considering he defended his 'Ship, something not many "core" players have done.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Has anyone considered that Laimbeer might be in the mix to be the Pistons NEXT coach, and I don't mean in 2008?

As Pass99 would say,

The organization has to think geometrically across all plains of temporal existence.

13. Dlev59

So was Isiah, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson..............Should I go on?

Then you have the Rick Fox types, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson...........etc.....

14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Who has Rick Fox coached to a Championship lately? Put him in the same sentence as Riley and Jackson....

What are you even talking about?

Might I remind you that all of the players you have listed as on par with Bill Laimbeer (before you got to the rest) have been given head coaching stints?

You are strengthening my position with that last post of yours. Considering that Laimbeer is a separate entity, he should at least be given a shot, same as his peers.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I was thinking about that 3 years ago. "NEXT!"

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I have.

Thats why I put him on the assistant coach roster.

Thanks for clarifying my position good man.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am still not sure where Curry's experience comes into play here on the bench. He sat with Flip a whole season and if he was Joe's boy, why couldn't he whisper to Flip " you better play Amir" or else..:confused:

I am OK with Curry, I guess, but if Bill is in the same building and got his team to the finals three times, he should at least be given a chance to get some NBA experience by naming him a Piston assistant>>:sssh: Unless Mr. D wants to leave him in charge of the ladies..

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Someone needs to bend Stoney and Wojo's ears and find out why they feel that asking Joe about Laimbeer is an "insult"

19. Dlev59

Nobody.

And that`s just what NBA players will say about Laimbeer.

As D4E said, I don`t think the ships with the Shock will carry much weight with NBA players.

The other three players that were significant pieces to their respective teams championships did get head coaching stints, they too didn`t coach anyone to a championship. However, the two coaches that were "Rick Fox" type players on their championship teams (Riley & Jackson) has won is it 15 championships, with a chance at another in a couple of weeks.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Nice try Dlev.

For starters, I asked what championships Rick Fox has won as a coach, that is an all inclusive statement. Your Lack of respect for female basketball is once again rearing its head I see, since you lumped Bill and Rick in the same category despite Bills obvious advantage in championship coaching experience, regardless of venue.

Pat Riley and Phil Jackson won Championships as players. Bill Laimbeer has won two. The similarities are there, plus Bill has coaching experience. Noone thought Pat and Phil (if you were there to remember) were the best things since sliced bread when they received their first jobs either. The only reason you are seeing differences between Bill and them is because you want to. There are far more similarities than differences, less than a little research will tell you that.