Bill Laimbeer: will he make a good coach?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Jun 3, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I might do that. I have Bob's email address somewhere around here...

He did promise to give Stoney a noogie for me once.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Cloud I am done with this discussion with you my friend. I guess you take my opinion differently than someone else.

I disrespect womens basketball, yet someone else basically says the same thing, yet they don`t get that response from you.

Maybe I didn`t articulate it well enough, my bad.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Lets get this straight.
    Anyone that disrespects womens basketball will draw my full ire once I am made aware of it.

I have dealt directly with far too many professional female athletes to not champion their cause. Your insinuation that I have or will not is once again representation that you have a penchant for making statements without doing your due diligence.

I hold WNBA season tickets in two states. I also make trips overseas in their offseason when time permits to provide support to their trade.

Please refrain from casting false aspersions.
  4. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

This post will not be too popular but I would seriously think about making Zeke the coach and Bill Laimbeer the assistant. I still think Zeke did all right as the coach at Indiana. Zeke is obviously not a very good GM and that is why he struggled so poorly in New York. I don't think you can fairlyy judge his coaching abilities in NY. Look what happened to LB there. Right now trying to win coaching the Knicks is kind of like trying to win coaching the Lions. Ok, maybe not that bad, but at least close. I think the guys would also respect Zeke. I just want a coach who has had some experience. NBA experience. That's my main knock against Bill.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That last post should have said, you said I disrespect womens basketball! Not, I disrespect womens basketball. Again, when I repeated what someone else said you assumed I disrespect womens basketball.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

When you say and insinuate that Bills coaching experience and championships in the realm of womens basketball don't matter, then you disrespect womens basketball. When you make statements that (in your mind) require the usage of the term "no disrespect" you disrespect womens basketball.

These aren't posts in which you "quoted" anyone. These are your own thoughts on the matter for everyone else to see, so don't play semantics games with a second degree psychology major, you won't come out on top.

Don't play revisionist history games with posts that are readily available and only days old DLev. I posted my opinion and you posted yours. End of discussion. Best to let it drop like you said you would just a few posts prior.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Regardless of what any of us thinks about it, do you think NBA players will respect Laimbs' coaching achievements in the WNBA as being relevant experience for coaching NBA players? My question is not should they respect those achievements...will they?
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hey guys, I like both of you, so please...

Remember I can kick both of your butts in an argument. :D

Seriously though, seeing two guys I like beef constantly is a downer.

Team :hug: ?
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I strongly feel that in conjunction with his experience as a player it is highly relevant and worth at the very least an honorable mention.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

For you Roscoe....I drop anything on the spot.

Thanks for saying you like me. I really try. :)
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, I think it's more relevant to discuss how the actual NBA players will feel about it. I agree that his playing experience would likely bring him some credibility with them. But I have pretty serious doubts about his WNBA coaching experience doing the same.

Sorry to say this, as it doesn't reflect my own opinion on the matter, but I strongly suspect that most NBA veterans would laugh at the idea that a coach who's won titles in the WNBA derives any meaningful credibility as a potential NBA coach from that.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I respectfully disagree.

I feel that a great deal of NBA players view the WNBA in much the same way as I do, due to their close proximity to their female counterparts.

Reggie has said on more than one occasion that Cheryl has kicked his butt on the court. I think everyone should go to WNBA games, and give them the same shake that they gave the NBA when they first got "hooked" as it were.

The WNBA, IMO, is in the same place right now that the NBA was in when players played for a pittance, yet remained diligent due to their intense love for the game. This is when alot of us first got hooked on basketball, I would like to think that most of us could relate to those times and find that love again as a fan when watching the women play.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you have something there. A lot of people claim that they want to see a game where the athletes are playing hard and want to win, but don't actually give those leagues a chance often enough. After watching the Shock beat the Fever last weekend, I think the WNBA is one of those leagues. I hope to find the time to continue to watch these great athletes.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here's a question: Does it compromise Curry's effectiveness as a coach when he played with 3 of the Piston's current starters (Billups, Rip, Tay) and one of their former starters (Ben), and in his last season with the Pistons, was replaced after an injury by Tayshaun Prince, who as far as I understand, outperformed him enough to earn his starting spot?
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

All the more reason Joe should trade Tay..............?

:pound:

Tays got a problem with Curry? Well I've got a problem with Tay...he's a houdini disappearing "posey stole the ball" punk...give him the boot Joe!
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I was in the crowd for that game, and it was spectacular.

I see some IN in your location. I hope you can find the time to attend a home game in conseco. They really go all out for their fans, esp their season ticket holders.
  17. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Are there currently any coaching candidates who have won a championship? I'm asking because I think the answer is no but am not totally certain.

In fact, of the coaches given in the poll in another thread I don't think a single one has gotten any further in the NBA playoffs than Flip. JVG never made it to the Finals, right?

What I have to wonder is what the new coach must have in absence of a ring in order to command the respect of these guys?

I wonder how NBA players view the achievement of a coach who's won a WNBA ring versus, say, an NCAA title or FIBA medal.
  18. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Avery made it to the Finals. So that is a positive.
  19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

off the top of my head... only championship coaches out there that are not under contract atm would be the coach for houston in there back to backs... chuck daley.... then back to bostons coach from the 80's and that will get us all the way back to what 1982 and phili?
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Avery made it to the Finals with Dallas, as anakin said, and JVG went to the Finals with the Knicks in '99. You're right about there being no coaching candidates who have won an NBA title. The only active one out there until very recently was...um...LB...

I think NBA players would see an NCAA/FIBA winning coach as worthy of respect. Certainly Coach K from Duke would have commanded automatic respect if he had ever decided to make the jump to the NBA.