Bill Laimbeer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by CloudWalker, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

This is just my personal feeling. But at this point in the season, the only thing that will make me think one positive thought concerning our Detroit Pistons.......is if after the sale of the team they hire Bill Laimbeer.......and I'll leave the position he fills to be up to you. ( though I'm personally voting for promoting Joe and getting the wheel to this bus out of his hands...please)

Please feel free to discuss :hoops:
    :)

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What about the roster packed with young up and coming players?

The right new owner would give me a positive feeling also.

After this season they'll be one year closer to Gordon's and CCG's deals expiring.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...how about starting Center.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just posted this comment in the Clueless Coach thread, but I thought it fits better here, so I moved it.

Myth: Bill Laimbeer should coach the Detroit Pistons – PistonPowered

Just wow. Atrocious reasoning. The guy just invents opinions that he calls facts, and then uses those "facts" to support his tenuous position. Here are the main points of his article:

--------------
    Intro: People in Detroit only like Laimbeer because they think he was just a thug.

X's and O's: Bill Laimbeer is not a good X's and O's coach.
    -Yeah, he won 3 WNBA titles, but his Shock teams would have won with any coach out there (after all, the players he coached went on to other teams, and they were good there!)
    -It was the players' leadership and strict team discipline that won them titles. After all, when they moved to Tulsa, they had a new coach who had a defensive oriented system just like Laimbeer did, but the team sucks there. But two of the players left the team when the move happened - this proves it was the PLAYERS who were responsible for the championships in Detroit! [seriously, he argues this to be true]
    -I read this online forum where some armchair coaches were criticizing his playcalling and second-guessing his rotations during their multiple championship run, so he must not be a very good coach.
    -In between winning their 2nd and 3rd championship, there was this one game that they lost, and they didn't play very well. PROOF that Bill is a BAD COACH!!!

Player Management
    -Bill Laimbeer won titles with the Shock as coach and also had say over the personnel. Therefore, Bill can only be a successful coach if he also has say over personnel.
    -Laimbeer's personality is too abrasive and he can't handle NBA players' egos.

Franchise Representative
    -Laimbeer was the face of the Shock franchise. But the Shock failed in Detroit and moved to Tulsa because Laimbeer wasn't friendly enough with the media/public. Therefore Bill Laimbeer would not be a good NBA coach because he's not friendly enough with the media/public.

Conclusion:
    -Bill Laimbeer would not be a good coach in the NBA because he needs players who will buy into his system and that just doesn't work.
    -Everyone just assumes that Bill Laimbeer would be a good coach because he knocked people around a lot when he played in the NBA.
    -He won three championships in the WNBA but that doesn't mean he is a good coach.
    -----------------

Am I way off-base, or is this pretty much what this guy is trying to say?

5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He's just jealous! Bring in Bill!

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Laimbeer is a popular guy in Detroit but he isn't the answer to the Piston's problems.

Someone needs to untie Joe's hands and get this mess of a roster straightened out. Anything short of that is just feel-good window dressing.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Once the new owner takes over, bring Larry Brown back!
    LB hasn't switched jobs in two seasons. He's due!

8. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

A rookie head coach is definitely what this team needs if recent history has been any indicator. Is he the best fit for coach of this team? It doesn't matter, he used to play here!

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

CJ, that article is written by a guy who doesn't have more than a casual interest in WNBA. Laimbs was a terrific coach in the WNBA. Shock would not have won that many titles with someone else at the helm. He drove those ladies hard and squeezed a lot more production out of them then they had. One of the key players mentioned in the article, Cheryl Ford, was injured during one of their title runs and didn't play a single playoff game. Sure the Shock had talented players, but it's Bill's coaching that got the most out of the complementary players. That was key in all championship runs.

A lot of people also dismiss his WNBA coaching experience when talking about his qualifications, but that's a mistake. During his tenure with the Shock, he faced various difficulties, and made the necessary adjustments to get the wins. He can read the game and make adjustments on the fly. That's not something you can teach.

I think, if given the opportunity, Laimbeer would make one hell of an NBA coach one day.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Bringing Laimbeer to Detroit before this mess is cleaned up could actually hurt his status with the Pistons.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bill is sitting on the T-Wolves bench right now wishing ultimate Piston failure in hopes that the new owners give him the opportunity to resurrect the franchise.

I think he sent Illitch one his Shock championship rings to butter him up.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually like Rambis's zen 2.0 vibe a lot and think that Wolves have it pretty good from a coaching standpoint at the moment. Perfect coach for a team like that in that he has the patience to let guys make mistakes and the confidence and demeanor to get respect while doing it. Laimbeer might also be in a better role right now without the pressure... he can learn from Rambis that he doesn't need to get fiery for show all of the time. He'll be more well rounded after his internship.

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great post!

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Not going to happen...

Rambis had the ability to change from Superman into Clark Kent:

[​IMG]

Laimbeer couldn't change. He was always this guy:

[​IMG]

15. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would Laimbeer run a triangle offense? Interesting thought. If he stays there more than another season I'm thinking he just might.

Triangle might work for us, we have lots of interchangeable parts and it would help minimise the need for a true PG. Though we are missing that one superstar...

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Laims is a year or 2 away from a being a legit head coaching candidate and if he's smart he'll stay away from this org if he wants a chance at having a long career.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm all for that...but only if they bring back Darko too :stirthepot:

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Still don't think Joe would Hire Bill Laimbeer. They're on opposite sides of the Bad Boy fence. Bill is probably waiting for Joe to hire another knucklehead after this season. Then in 2 years after the hire, he'll be ready for the Pistons because he'll be seasoned enough, and JOE will be talkin to Tay about luggage. :gun1:

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

End the end, Bill will have the last laugh as he will be sitting on the Piston bench running things and Joe will be in the NBA TV studio sitting next to Kevin McHale:MusicBigGrin::stirthepot:

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'll vote for this!