Bill Laimbeer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Don't really have the time to hit on all of Low's points but to quickly respond, I don't have a problem with Laimbeer. Just think the love is disproportionate to his talent and more importantly to this team's needs. He's tough. I get that. It's great to assign an identity that sells tickets so people come watch a mediocre team. But that doesn't make a great coach. Nor does playing under other great coaches. There are a bunch of coaches out there with those qualifications. The answer isn't toughness. The answer is talent. The problem with this team the last 5 or so years has been the front office.

I personally don't care much for tradition for tradition's sake. If I thought Karl Malone was the best guy to lead the Pistons back to relevance, I'd cheer him on with all my might then wake up every morning for a year and watch him elbow Zeke in the face. I really just want the team to do some combination of win, show the potential to be a winning team, or at the least be entertaining. I don't care much about the Pistons "bloodline". That Dumars won a championship as a player and then built a championship team as a GM is cool. All the continuance I need.
  2. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

That's basically my point.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know anything about his coaching style, but I liked his game as a player.

Should he be a candidate? Maybe. It's not a straight up comparison to Laimbeer though, who has already won 5 titles in Detroit, just as Laimbeer wouldn't be a straight up comparison for the Lakers head coaching job.

Look, you don't connect with the Bad Boy era, I get it. But I think you're committing the opposite kind of bias, discriminating against Laimbeer because you don't want to accept his past with the city and the franchise into account. You probably have not seen Laimbeer play. I feel pretty confident saying that he may have been the most mentally tough player in this history of this franchise. He's always been a leader, he's always been someone who expects everyone, starting with himself, to be accountable.

Maybe his Xs and Os will be lacking. Maybe he will hurt some feelings, but it is, in my mind, impossible to conceive of someone being a better fit to coach in Detroit than Bill Laimbeer.

The only argument you've presented is that people are being nostalgic. Nothing substantive. Maybe the substance validates the nostalgia.
    Walter and The Low like this.
  4. roscoe36

As I said before, this is why no one will ever follow you into a foxhole. You don't appreciate culture, history or sentiment.

That's fine in an autistic world where you're the only person who matters, but in a social world with other people, winning with an identity is as important as winning itself. Winning by compromising whatever values you hold (rational or not) is empty. It means nothing.
    Mossberg and The Panda like this.
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I get that Jayborne, and I don't disagree with you about results being the true determining factor. But, just saying that we don't know if Laimbeer is a good coach or not is NOT enough to not give him an opportunity considering A) the other stiffs this franchise has decided to 'take a chance' on and B) the other items I touched on that give him a lot more credibility as far as players and fans are concerned. ESPECIALLY since we've had a recent history of players who seem to think they know it all. All of the 'bloodline' talk is simply an added bonus (and a potential boost for the franchise) for a guy who has a tie to the Pistons and has shown himself to at least be a decent coach who deserves a shot.

NO coach save LB or Pop is going to come in with people already assuming that our coaching issues have been solved for all-time and most, if not all, of the coaches that are on the list of coaches people assume would get this job are A) a retreads or B) someone who is a question mark as to whether or not they can get the job done also. If you (referring to anyone) are in the camp of those who think someone like Phil Jackson would never take this job, Laimbeer is a logical candidate. I think the fervor comes into play because Dumars has been adamantly against hiring the guy despite making obviously worse choices.
    jayborne likes this.
  6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Winning with an identity doesn't mean you have to recycle the same identity.

You and these ground warfare cliches. I'm much more interested in spaceships.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Roscoe, I'd follow you into a foxhole if you brought the white castle hamburgers. I'll even share my extra Dr. Pepper.

I doubt that he will be the next coach, but I can still pontificate the merits of it. :burgereater:
    roscoe36 and The Low like this.
  8. roscoe36

Toughness and accountability never goes out of style.

I am a BAUSS at Eve Online.
    The Low likes this.
  9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I don't disagree with anything you've said here, especially about him getting a shot. Just not sold on the golden goose view, or that his imprint is what the team needs to right the ship. I'd rather hire him than an also-ran like Nate McMillan.
    roscoe36 and The Low like this.
  10. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Laimbeer was awesome like a player,awesome,he not lookoed like kareem or parish but was one leader,inteligent and had very strong character to opossite legend celtics and lakers like bird,magic,parish or mchale.Laimbeer with zeke is my favorite piston,dumars,rodman,big ben or billups were great but laimbeer on the floor was very important with points,rebounds,intimidation and liberating pressure from joe and isiah.
    I think that laimbeer with very good and experienced assistants would be great for the organization,to restore winning culture,hard working,respect and renoved rivalry.
    We need one respected coach who works hard and have pistons culture(badboys culture).
    Targets this summer need to be iguolada,brewer or josh smith if available, if we can get pau gasol+ lakers 2014 first round x jerebko+stuckey+money would be nice to attract big free agents and to be in hte winning mode next seasson,i think it would be great and cheap,gasol is expiring contract and have a lot of experience lo teach moose and drummond. Very dificult but is joe Dumars job....
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm on a work server and can't post YouTube vids.
    There's a video floating around from Laimbeer's coaching days with the shock where a player on the opposing team is shooting a corner three. Laimbeer and Mahorn happened to be standing in front of their bench just when this chick is teeing up her shot.
    Laimbeer and Morhorn proceed to SCREAM right in this player's ear and it must have scared the crap out of her.

...this is a hilarious peek into the competitive nature of Bill Laimbeer.

(someone please post this if you know what I'm talking about.)
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This appears to be it.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I can't find the article but there was one where the Shock was up big and he threw in the bench and they went ahead and played half assed to not embarass the other team. Laimbeer called time-out, sat those players down and told them that this was their time to play; go all out - its the opponents responsibility not to embarass themselves not yours.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Laimbeer himself say he couldn't coach in the NBA "because he'd get punched in the face."?
  15. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'll wash Roscoe's car if Laimbeer gets hired by JD.
    P.S...........I'll be up in Vancouver in August. :)
  16. roscoe36

I don't own a car.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Probably worth renting one for that offer.
    brofmfa, copper and linwood like this.
  18. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I get the NBA ticket every year and watch every Detroit game. Husband watches zero games with me. Even he said he would watch the games with me again if Bill Laimbeer was hired.
    The Low likes this.
  19. max

max All-Star

What does he make in the WNBA 100, 200k.yr? Head coach of the Pistons would start at around 4mil/yr

I don't know why he is not taken as a serious candidate. He put in his time as an assistant on the bench and he would certainly help sell some seats next year in the nearly half empty palace.

But they probably will pull some old recycled hack out of the pile instead.

Sloan does kind of intrigue me and I don't know why his name is coming up. He must be around 70 by now so I don't know if he would want the pressure. LB is even older - 72,73 I think. We may need someone a little younger.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

(Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News tweet)

He must have really screwed up that interview.