Bill Laimbeer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

What is your defination of creditable? The Bad Boys were not contenders till 87 really.... 2 years of no playoffs and 3 years of 1 and outs basically.

I can see this group of players being in Championship contender talks in 2 years from now with the right moves this summer. Who outside of Miami really scares anybody? That team is a team held together by tape and bubblegum and there going to go from titles to nothing in a matter of a year.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

My mistake...players like Dwight Howard suck too.

You seem to have confused "team" with "player." Everyone knew Isiah was a great player. NO ONE assumed DET would be a title contender when he was drafted. NO ONE. This isn't like Magic getting drafted and showing up on the Lakers and things just rolling from there....far from it. But, knock yourself out. Everyone sucks. Clearly scoring is what does it for you. OK fine. Grant Hill scored 20 points all the time...we sucked. Stackhouse constantly 20 points in a game. Hell, he even hit the fabled NBA 50 pt mark....we sucked. Wayman Tisdale 20pts all night long....SAC sucked. Iverson...carried 20pts around in his wallet....NO RINGS. Barkley...20/10 on a Tuesday...no rings. Reggie Miller...could score 20 from half court shots alone...no rings...good team even. Carmello....oh, carmello...why hath we not drafted thee....still no rings. Stuckey used to be a 20PPG machine...we were never worse.

So, the standard for potential winners in DET apparently goes like this:

C Bill Laimbeer: 12.9PPG / 9.7RPG (Career) - Clearly the makings of a champion
    C Ben Wallace: 5.7PPG / 9.6RPG (Career) - Heart and soul of the team. Not to be questioned
    C Greg Monroe: 16.0PPG / 9.6RPG (2012-13) - Sucks

OK, Got it.

Let me introduce you to Greg Monroe: 16.0 PPG / 9.60 RPG / 3.5 APG ...Top 5 in the NBA for centers in pts/rebs...Top 10 in the NBA for ALL big men in pts/rebs...have you guys met?

Ah...the old sepia colored "everything was better in the past" glasses. Sorry, I don't own a pair.

Sure, you can believe that the GM made all of the teams viable with the best talent in the game that no one could question, but you'd be the only person on PLANET EARTH who thought that the players we had on either championship team were the best in the game. They were STILL writing news articles about how Magic and the Lakers were going to dismantle us AGAIN and 3-peat as champions. You clearly have also forgotten the myriad ways that people were describing how badly the Laker's 4 HOFers were going to humiliate us in the Finals and how the Eastern Conference playoffs should be cancelled. So, knock yourself out with that.

We had good players and even better coaching. We were NOT a threat to win a title with Carlisle coaching. We looked good, but weren't going to beat anyone meaningful. It's the same reason we knew our run was over when Flip Saunders got hired. It's not just about the players and not just any stiff in a suit can coach a team to success 'as long as you have all the talent on the floor.' It's the same reason Mike Brown is out of work.

Yes, sir...I'm now able to see the future and we will be competitive in less than 8 years. You know what? Sure....let's toss a championship banner in there while we're at it. The ether is also telling me that the Pistons will move downtown and Hooper will be turned into paste. Get your season tickets, NOW!

max, The Panda and OLD SKOOL HQ like this.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Two years will pass away ...and this thread will come alive again...."khm, X coach got an axe, howbout Bill Laimbeer this time? " Mark my words! :conspiracyalert:

OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  4. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

The idea of hiring a disciplinarian and who holds players "accountable" without much regard for his/her ability to maintain player relationships, X's and O's, and player development ability seems antiquated. This is less to do with Laimbeer than the desirable traits that seems to be ascribed to him. Because I'm looking at the list of coaches that won't be returning next year and seeing a Scott Skiles, a Paul Westphal, a Doug Collins, and not seeing much of a difference in those traits. This team doesn't need a 3 & Out coach.*

*This is ignoring the fact that the Pistons having any coach for 3 complete seasons would be a modern miracle.

OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

OLD SKOOL..........I'm afraid The Low has got you on the ropes.
    I'm afraid he was on you like a wolverine on a cupcake. :)

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Ill put a $5 charity bet down that the Pistons make the playoffs next year.

I win, $5 to a charity of my choice. I lose, $5 to a charity of your choice. That protected pick means we either dismantle the talent within the team/get hooper to coach, or start winning.

The Low and linwood like this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder what he did during the interview that was so bad? You think he used Joe's tie as a napkin during lunch?

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Joe: How do feel about developing youth?

Laimbeer: F--- youth. If they aren't good enough to beat out Prince and Stuckey, they can sit and watch until they can.

Joe: Thanks.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Laimbeer will play young players. His big thing is accountability.

The Panda likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At the very least, it would be nice to see a reporter ask Dumars or Gores point blank why Laimbeer is not a candidate.

Nemo, LA Dre, Susie914 and 1 other person like this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons have been co-opting the local media into a "circle of trust" since the "white tower" (iirc)McCosky article back in 2001.

That's the last time I have seen the local media be critical of JD.

pass99 and coynejeremy like this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rumor is that he head butted somebody.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roscoe is so right on this one. What a shrewd post. Post of the year material! Do I hear a second?

14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Someone's been hanging out here...LOL: Hey, Joe: Bad Boys could lend hand in turning Pistons around | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Nemo and LA Dre like this.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If those guys want to be part of the inner circle it has to be more than at the broadcast table. Dumars is a stubborn SOB and I still have never heard him say why Laims is not a candidate....If I was owner of the team, I would bring in all of those Bad boys and ask them what they wanted do...I mean I wouldn't hand the head coaching job to Rodman, but if he could have taught Maxiel how to rebound his first year when Big Ben was astray, it may have helped. I am sure Buddha could have given Moose some tips in the art of posting up, and John Long could work with Drummond on his FT shooting this summer.

Come on Dumars there are starving ex pistons out there...give them a scouting or coaching job!!

...Funny we at the forum and the other Pistons fans pine for Laimbeer the way the Faker fans pine for Phil Jackson...the difference is Phil has rings a plenty and we still don't know if Laims can deliver or not.

The Low likes this.
  16. max

max All-Star

Reading the discussions here on if things were better in the past. I think right now is the best time I have seen in the NBA. Main reason being is how they have cleaned up the calls. They have made a serious attempt ever since that ref scandle to make the game as honest as possible. Anyone who can remember all the phantom calls and bailouts Jordan, Bird and co used to get has to appreciate this.

Plus Jordan and Bird were a couple of arrogant jerks. I know LBJ has his moments but at least he is nice. I actually hope LBJ surpasses Jordan as the best player ever. Seriously, what was there to like about Jordan if you were not a Bulls fan? They guy came in got all the calls, if you did manage to stop him the refs bailed him out. He kept Isiah off the Olympic team out of spite. Just because or whatever.

Its a more honest fair game now and LBJ, Durant, even Kobe and Wade are a lot nicer too. Think about this - would small market teams like San Antonio and OKC have had the same chances back in the 80's? Would they have gotten a fair whistle against LA?

Mogilny, coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Well, Detroit won two championships...

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I disagree max.
    I think that "superstars" still get superstar calls.
    Every time the national networks force a Miami Heat game down my throat, I freaking gag at the number of phantom foul calls that LBJ and D-Wade get. Those games are FILLED with late whistles favoring those two clowns.

Susie914 likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

But you agree they are nicer guys, though?

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

MJ's a nasty guy even on the golf course at age 50.

Nemo likes this.