bill simmons accuses dumars of lsd use

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by HarryFWong, Aug 3, 2009.

1. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Bill Simmons recaps the NBA offseason so far, using quotes from his favorite movie of the decade, "Almost Famous." - ESPN
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I DO like Bill Simmons: he has brains, but in this case he obviously misses the point.
  3. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

He's not seeing the big picture?
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I seriously questioned Bill Simmons judgement when I read in #49:

5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I have projected 31 wins for the Pistons. There are reasons I feel this way. I've tried not to be critical of Joe cause I just plain like him, but Simmons makes many valid points in his lengthy cirtique of the NBA situation.
  6. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

39. I once hit a man in Dearborn, Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and kept going. I don't know if he's alive or dead, but I'm sorry. Not a day goes by when I don't see his face.

LOL
  7. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

The big picture is LeBron 2010? :pound::pound::pound:
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

somehow he's right. Unless the Pistons aren't competitive next season or at least the one after that, JoeD really messed things up. He's made alot of bad decisions recently and we still don't know if signing Ben Gordon wasn't the last of a series of bad choices. Hopefully, BG scores 20+ppg and the Pistons have more than 40 wins. If not, JoeD obviously was lucky once and will never be a great GM.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this team misses the playoffs in 2010 and 2011, joe will do the smart thing (unlike Matt Millen) and resign. Bill Laimbeer still jobless will be named GM....

One thing I have to give Bill Simmons credit for is that Almost Famous was one of the best movies of 2000 and the probably the best written (won Academy Award for screenplay) . I watch it whenever it comes on.

I would go on but don't want to hijack this thread.....:sssh:
  10. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

"5. What, are you like the star of your school?
    They hate me.
    You'll meet them all again on their long journey to the middle.

To Houston GM Daryl Morey for landing Ariza (the quintessential athletic swingman who can play defense and hit 3s in the playoffs) for the full midlevel exception before he even hits his mid-20s. Total steal. The Rockets continue to assemble value assets to package for the inevitable "New Orleans needs to dump an unhappy Chris Paul" or "Toronto is having a Chris Bosh fire sale" trades,"

Joe has gone all in for his career, betting on a Rip, Stuckey and Maxiell for Chris Paul trade.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

When is the last time Bill Simmons said something positive about the Pistons? That guy is an epic tool.
  12. HarryFWong

was that comment meant to be followed by :pound:?
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound:
  14. HarryFWong

i dont think he's a pistons hater. i enjoy reading his nba columns. he is fairly perceptive IMO. he's not a genius, but he makes some intriguing points at times. he usually saves most of his hating for Isiah Thomas, Mike Dunleavy, memphis GM Chris Wallace,ex GM'S Elgin Baylor, Bernard King. his old Thomas and Dunleavy comments are quite funny. He is also a big fan of RC Buford and Daryl Morey. Hard to argue those opinions.

i'm not a dumars hater, not even close. but i agree that this current roster is built around perimeter guys. i'm a defense and rebounding kinda guy.

irregardless, i like Simmons' NBA stuff. at times, over the years, my opinion of him has wavered. he can be a little annoying, as can his cult followers who copy his sarcastic analogies in the mailbags..

so who is YOUR favorite NBA sports writer? (this question is directed to everyone)
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Simmons. No brainer for me. The guy is hilarious.

I don't really care if he criticizes teams, he does it in such a funny way. Also, he really seems to like the NBA above all other sports, which is a rarity.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Hard to say something positive about any of the decisions Joe has made over the past year.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm not talking about just the past year. This guy has been trashing the Pistons for years. He's a lifelong Celtic fan, so I understand the the resentment towards Detroit.
  18. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I don't think he is being very objective. I read his whole crappy list, and a couple things kept coming out. He absolutely loves Ariza. He also throws out fun stuff like, "Ariza shot 45% from 3-point range this spring" ....and omits that he shot only 31% in the regular season from downtown. Yes he can play D and be a hustle man, but he actually praises Ariza getting the full mid-level exception, which I thought was far too much for the guy.

I didn't see him once mention anything about Varajeo's contract, maybe I missed it.

But let's breakdown the meat of what brings me to even bother reading this guy...

Fair enough. I think we all agree with this.

Amir sure, Kwame seems to be about the right price.

Pure speculation. What if Denver was out of it, or another team was and didn't want to do that? Plus the amount we got, and Dyess back. That freed the cap room up quite a bit. The funny thing I find, is how Simmons DEFENDS Iverson in his little bonus section while ripping on how poorly Rasheed played.

Wait who should have been extended? I agree Hamilton shouldn't have gotten it.

Wait wait what? I'm sick of this "not a PG" garbage, I mean if you put Stuckey's stats against Rondo's two years ago, they are very close. Two years ago would be Rondo's first year starting, and last year was Stuckey's. Of course while Simmons is defending Iverson and pointing out the bad coaching, now of the same circumstances could have affected Stuckey right? He can still improve, christ it was one year. Of course if Stuckey was on the bench and Billups still here, he would be saying how Dumars is "crippling .the growth of a young stud". People talk like he was supposed to start his career like Iverson and is playing like Telfair. Give it a rest.

Right forgive me, I'd forgotten how Billups would have fixed our interior defense, or how we would have beaten the Magic. Or even the Lakers. I don't get it. I guess the East was more open last year, but does anyone think we could have beaten Cleveland and Orlando, even with Billups? The team looked old two years ago.

Hmmmm. Really, never make an All-Star team....and that is the benchmark I guess? Last time I checked Ariza never made an All-Star and most likely won't, yet isn't his deal around a million less a year than Villanueva? (Simmons was jizzing all over Ariza earlier, and I quote, "To Houston GM Daryl Morey for landing Ariza (the quintessential athletic swingman who can play defense and hit 3s in the playoffs) for the full midlevel exception before he even hits his mid-20s. Total steal.") It isn't like Gordon is the only rookie ever to win 6th man award or anything. I mean come on, to say "never" on something like that is pretty silly. Christ, Hamilton got to be on the All-Star team what, three times now, and please tell me how he is miles better than Gordon. I despise stupid statements like that.

Yes and no. This is a valid point, but at the same time, we also lost Rasheed who was SUPPOSED to rebound and didn't, and we have added rebounding help. I don't think of Stuckey as a perimeter guy, and Villanueva can rebound when he wants, which is more than can be said for Prince who gets abused a bit too much for my liking.

I just think this article took the worst case scenario at the situation, and didn't even analyse some of the stuff that he counted elsewhere. Hey can Rasheed play when he mentioned him going to Boston? (Well isn't it good the Pistons are moving on then?) Wow that Amir Johnson sucked (Wait did the Pistons somehow get rid of him?) Not one mentioning of how the team was ancient, couldn't defend anymore, got out hustled, and the only life they showed was when the bench players were in. We are a lot younger now, and I think that is a drastic improvement already.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I agree about Ariza. He is overpaid.

Ariza is a good player on a championship team like LA. But on a team like Houston (who may struggle to even win 30 games with their injuries), he isn't a first, second or even third option. And I think he will struggle to get the same wide open looks he was getting in LA. Defenses will force him to create his own offense... which he simply can't do very well.
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    agreed.