Billups and Hamilton

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, May 9, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It will take a hell of a lot more than 5 field goals per game between them in Cleveland for the Pistons to win there.
  2. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Yea, but Rip scored 15 points on the Free throw line, plus his 2 points from FG. But you have to remember that Rip and Chauncey is not the only scorers on the team. They have many options; they are not a one or two man show. When Rip and Chauncey is having a bad night, Sheed (who scored 29 and Tay (who scored 20) stepped up. Not to add that Chauncey did score 15 and Ben 10. So, we can beat Cleveland in Cleveland but the other players will have to step up as well.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

It seems like a big part of the Cav's "adjustments" were to foul Rip everytime he touched the ball.
  4. max

max All-Star

Did not seem like they had much of a game plan.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

billups will come through when he needs to. instead of running plays for rip for jumpshots, rip did a great job getting to the line and making free throws. something's been off with sheed's FTs in the playoffs though. maybe he's exerting so much more energy on the court that he's having trouble concentrating on FT attempts.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Let's hope Billups gets the lead out of his shorts. His one-man stall took the team out of its rhythm and ended up giving Cleveland way more confidence than they deserve. Watching him shuffle upcourt like Fred Sanford and make the first pass with :10 or less on the shot clock had me screaming at the TV.

I think Rip looked okay. When Chauncey farts around and lets himself get pinned on one side of the court, there's no way to hit Rip with a pass unless it's pretty much punted all the way cross-court. Ditto Prince when they double-team him. Get rid of the ball, dammit.

Oh well. Gives Flip some material to beat them over the heads with going into Cleveland.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I heard the Cadavers had players only meeting. Some were saying Brown had conceded the game by hacking BBen early.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Sadly, it seems like this is Flip's gameplan. He seems to believe in the play "not to lose" method of winding the clock all the way down and firing up a shot. This is why we have blown so many leads in the 4th quarter.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I do not agree with this.

Flip has said repeatedly that the team has to execute and stay aggressive. The passive behaviour starts with the MVP candidate Billups trying to "get his" and breaking from the offensive gameplan late in games. Flip's gotten on the team plenty in the latter part of the season, bemoaning the lack of discipline and settling for the easy jumpers.

You've got to understand that he had to build credibility early. He couldn't come out of the gate and demand better from his players. And while I started out as a doubter, you can count me as an advocate of his philosphy and style now. No coach is perfect. Flip is really damn good. And Joe Dumars is no ones fool.

Momentum is a tricky thing. Again, to quote from the Book of Flip (paraphrase actually), "One play can change a game, and one game can change a series."

Sadly, CBill has a lot of room to be better, and freequently doesn't accept the mantle of greatness settling for his Big Shot personality over the Smooth alias. He's like Two Face from the Batman comics. You see it almost every fast break. Do I pass, do I shoot. Flip a coin.

You can't prop these guys up as All-Stars for playing well and then turn around and say that bad play is all on the coach. That's illogical.

The players have to be accountable for the lows if they want acclimades (sic) for the highs. And it starts with the guy who thought he should be the MVP.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Another reason for the free fall in game two. Flip went away from the regular rotation, the starters esentially played the entire 4th.

Notice all the air balls by the pistons, a true sign of either boredom or fatigue. I was wondering what was Flip thinking after noticing the way he kept the starters in the game.

Flip must learn to trust his bench who by the way are pretty good in their own right. Also, Flip needs to seriously chill out a bit, you talking about uptight.

Maybe his wife needs to take a mini vacation to Detroit or Cleveland, give him a little medicine. (That wasn't right), but it appears that Flip is a bundle of nerves.
  11. Dakid_11

Dakid_11 Second Round Draft Pick

Of course he's a bundle of nerves.

Nothing less than a championship is expected of him.

That's some major pressure!
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Very good points Micro. Cb is an all-star, and the leader of our team on offense, however, sometimes his decisions in crunch time and while leading fast breaks are horendous.

It seems if he is not passing to Rip coming off screens he is not passing at all. I hate to see CB leading a fast break because many times it ends in a bad shot or turnover.

If not for CB`s game lacking in this area the MVP vote may have swung more in his favor.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I thought his O was predicated on getting easy jumpers.
    I think Bup-Bup stops passing so much in the 4th q because the opponent is desperate and is willing to gamble to steal the pass.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The reason Flip stayed with the atarters in the 4th was because as he said he wanted to "put cleveland away" so the starters could sit a lot. Yet, the King had something to say and the starters had to stay in and hold on.
  15. max

max All-Star

armygirl - I respect your opinion but our bench usually gives up leads when they come in. In Game 2 they gave up around 10 points in the 4th. And why do the Pistons get tagged with fatigue when they usually play less minutes than the other teams 2 or 3 core starters. Flip trusts McDyess, Hunter and Evans. Thats pretty much our bench.

I would not read much into this just had a big lead and relaxed a bit. Still made the big play at the end to seal it. Like Billups said the team simply relaxed too much. Now perhaps Clev will relax thinking they have accomplished something.

FreshPrince22 - Pistons give up 4th quarter leads? One of those things where if someone writes it then someone else may believe it.

Man we are expecting a lot. Team wins by 6 or whatever takes a 2-0 lead. Actually 6-1 so far in the post-season and its just not good enough. Those slackers folding in the 4th like that.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think he means our leads get dented. Not completely usurped.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

to his credit he admitted this was a mistake and said the bench was playing well and that he should have put them in to start the 4th. plus if the bench started giving up the lead the starters would have had the motivation to come in and put the game away.
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:amen: What other team wouldn't be itching to have our problems?