1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Billups finally talks about future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like Chauncey has started to talk about his future after this season as an article appeared on a Memphis website. I've always been skeptical about Billups loyalties versus 'gettin paid' and I think the only way this guy doesn't leave is if he gets a max deal. He doesn't even seem to be concerned about going to the worst team in basketball.

[Memphis Commercial Appeal]
    Memphis Commercial Appeal - Memphis' Source for News and Information: Grizzlies

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think CBill drops tidbits in the Denver press now and again as well. I haven't been very diligent about posting them because it seemed premature to initiate this discussion so early.

3. roscoe36

To be clear, I do not think this discussion is premature now. This is the biggest question facing the team this offseason.

4. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

He's not worth maximum dollars. At his best, he's really, really good, but his energy is only going to decline going forward, and he was never a fiery character to begin with. Sometimes that's an asset (e.g. shooting freethrows late in games), but often I wish he had a little more Isiah in him.

Having said that, we'll be much worse without CB. I don't want him signed for the price I think he'll be looking for, but I know that the offense will have a much harder time of it if he's not here. :(

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

C-Bill is bargaining.

Loyalty.

Man that went out with Bebop, notwithstanding its influence on Rap.

Ferengi rule of acquisition:

21. Never place friendship above profit.
    106. There is no honour in poverty
    214. Never begin a negotiation on an empty stomach.

:hoops:

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I would love to be the fly on the wall during these negotiations.

Here is a link to an interview with Mr. D in todays FREEP entitled:

Bill Davidson's a no-nonsense owner

Bill Davidson's a no-nonsense owner

:hoops:

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Let me get this right:

A) Score 30+ a night on a team that wins 30-35 games = Worth Max Contract

B) Best the best players on a Championship team = Not Worth Max Contract

...Sounds right to me...

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't see the Pistons offering CB more than $13.5M for 4 years...any more than that would be out of character for BillD.

CB hasn't had the greatest of contract years either, so I don't know how much he will get on the open market. His key stats are all down from last year: -1 PPG, -1 APG, and his 3PT% this year is among the lowest in his career.

NBA.com : Chauncey Billups Info Page

Looking at the trend line, his stats seem to have peaked last year and are headed down.

That said, I'd like to keep CB and draft a decent PG with the Orlando pick for him to mentor for 3 years...then trade his expiring contact in year 4. But that's in my perfect world :flypig:

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is close to my utopia. The amount per year and lenght of contract will be increased by someone. This is the reality factor. He will be following in Ben's footsteps.

Look for a S/T.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I said it here first. Chauncey to Denver in a sign and trade for Iverson. The hand writing is on the wall.

11. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

Chauncey is 31 so I see the contract being for 5 years and not 4. Ben was 32 so thats why he recieved a 4 year contract.

I was thinking 12 a year for five years, but 13.5 a year for five years would be better for Billups.

Who has the capspace to offer Billups a better contract than this?

12. roscoe36

Off the top of my head, Charlotte. There are a couple other teams that might be able to offer a decent deal as well.

The issue is, do we want to pay Billups $13.5 million?

Anything over $10 will hinder our short term ability to add free agents.

13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'll say it now, we acquire Iverson and we are over until 3-4 years after he retires.

14. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I'm actually related to Bill Davidson (he's my mother's cousin) and he basically took over Guardian Glass when my grandfather got caught in some kind of stock swindle and ended up in Attica in the 1940s (apparently where white collar criminals did their time). I was reading the family genealogy recently and it spent quite a bit of time on this episode and bad blood still exists today over the way the stocks were divided. My grandfather started Guardian Glass and built it into a solid company but I guess he was hell on wheels to work with and finally a takeover ensued and he got crazy and starting distributing stock to his children to try and stop the takeover. So Mr. Davidson is not going to let pampered athletes try and rule the day over him, it's a business to him so Chauncey should try and work the best deal possible and hopefully he'll be rewarded with a long-term contract in Detroit but don't bet on it. I'm on Chauncey's side he's given his prime time years to Detroit and he's got a great temperment for a basketball player, not letting the lows tear you up and not falling into the trap of believing all the hype when everyone loves you.

15. roscoe36

Actually Low, almost no one is worth a max contract anymore. It's taken 10 years but GMs have figured out that if you have a max player, it is hard to add talent and still stay under the luxury tax threshold, which is for all intents and purposes, a hard cap.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The style of the NBA has changed considerably in the last 2-3 years and looks to ride a permanent wave for those who can adapt.

If CB leaves (and it looks more likely that he will), then it will open up a whole new approach for the Piston direction. This will follow into to JD's strength area of established player talents, but might bode ill for youth development and placement.

Also, I still have reservations on JD's ability to pull the trigger concerning the current roster. If CB leaves, this means everyone is on the table to be traded (as least they should be). This is where it gets sticky for JD and his current administrative staff. The aforementioned NBA style demands depth directions on flexible and strategic thinking. Perhaps this board can help and take care Piston organization, their is considerable and sufficient talent on this board to do just that. JD needs to read and understand where this might be coming from (The Fifth Discipline by Peter M. Stenge (ISBN: 0385260954).

The back room and isolated maneuvering for solid foundational direction no longer holds (and the secrecy that accompanies it) in this day of information exchange. The info flow will fight and win any presented vacuum. One merely has to look at the recent workout time change for NBA Pre-Draft Camp draft rules to understand the underlying fight against isolated environments.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is an interesting scenario... especially if the Nuggs don't advance in the playoffs with the Melo, AI experiment.
    Dude, the more I think about this the more likely it is... sure Chauncey would like to finish his career in his home town... remember C.B. holds the cards and could force this if he wanted to.... of course there would be a significant difference in salary... throw in Evans and it works.
    Nice call Winless

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dang Leap, your family is almost Piston royalty.
    If JD can't keep CB for at least 2 more years. Listen for rumblings from JD about a new job. Not keeping CB comprimizes Piston Org. integrity, making us second rate.
    WW, I didn't hear that. A broken down AI for CB, aint happening.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

From where I sit, having a PG like CB is vitally important. If the Magic had someone like him, they would not be floundering as they have been. A scorer like Carter whom the Magic boards have been pushing for, brings only his own scoring. But a PG like CB brings scoring out from all the rest of the team members.

The Magic has had a terrible record of injuries this season, but a glue factor like CB would have minimized that.

I say this only to go on record about why CB should be kept at almost whatever it takes. Unless Nash is ready to come to Detroit, Chauncey better be kept or bad things are gonna happen.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's happening if Chauncey says so.... the alternative is nada in return.... which brings us to the question... will Joe simply let another prime FA walk for nothing in return?
    It's not like we'd have extra FA money to use if C.B. walks.