Billups finally talks about future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

He keeps playing like this and he'll be lucky to get the MLE (jk)... I do believe his value is inflated around the league... he's lacking defensive footwork & a consistent break em down game.
    If his outside game isn't working then he's an average PG at best.
    Good qualities include protecting the ball... posting up smaller PGs and court awareness.
    Looks like a 10M first year player... but I can definitely see some teams willing to go higher in a S&T.
    Hell yeah I'd take A.I. & Nene for Sheed & Chauncey... A.I. would fetch a huge talent the year his contract is expiring... and Nene gives you a center for the future (the trend for more mobile 5's)... Chauncey and Sheed will be washed up in two years... at 33 you better count on Chauncey as a combo guard cause he ain't defending his shadow.
    It sucks being realistic.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Something to consider about S&Ts.

The teams who can offer more than $10 million aren't desireable to CB. Joe should be able to match.

Trades to capped out teams like Denver would need the blessing of the Pistons. They would have to want the return assets, and at the price CB will come at. You're really getting into fiscal trouble anyways, just changing up the pieces.

Hence, I don't think S&Ts are realistic with a capped out team.

Hope that makes sense.

Billups is probably going to be looking for a $50+ million dollar payday. I'm almost wondering if it is time to move Sheed and front load CB's deal.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

His shooting certainly doesn't reflect that he is playing for a big contract.

Hopefully he will come out his shooting slump on Apr 20th or whenever the playoffs start.

DETROIT 95, DENVER 82: Wallace hits technical limit in win

:hoops:
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You may be right... you may be crazy (Billy Joel :^)...
    Just the threat that Chauncey would sign with Charlotte or the Magic might give Joe enough concern to agree with a S&T to Denver.
    Nuggs S&T or nothing for him (ala Ben)... hmmm
  5. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

I saw something on espn.com an insider article saying something about chanuncey being ok with a denver deal.. anyone read this one?
  6. roscoe36

I wish someone would ask Chauncey were his heart is. :sssh:
  7. roscoe36

From Empty the Bench, link courtesy of DetroitBadBoys.com

Empty the Bench » Blog Archive » Chauncey Billups Talking Free Agency

8. max

max All-Star

Last I heard Billups said he wants to stay but said he wants to be appreciated ( money ) like everyone else.

This is a very different situation from say the Grant Hill deal back in 00 when the question was does he want to stay. We know Billups wants to stay, just a matter of how much money Davison is willing to part with.

If money was an issue then would Dumars have stated that he plans on signing Billups at all costs?

If you are a Billups fan then I do not think there is anything to worry about. On the other hand if you do not think he is worth much then prepare for him to be overpayed.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't think Davidson is cheap like many people say.

I think he is just a man with a great deal of pride and power. I also think he is a man who holds to his principles and values.

If it makes business sense, and if CB doesn't say something stupid, then Davidson will keep him if he wants to be here.

I do strongly believe, however, that we are in big trouble if we don't find a comparable replacement.
  10. roscoe36

1. The Pistons will try not to make a bad business decision.

2. Chauncey's decision is two fold. Money and comfort.

3. The only way this does not get done is if both sides refuse to compromise.

Yes he has been great in the past, but as the Ben Wallace/Jerry Stackhouse negotiations proved, the Pistons do not pay for past performance. They will pay on future returns (Rip, Tay, Sheed).
  11. max

max All-Star

Yes but they also realize that they will have to cut ticket prices and take a slamming in TV revenue if Billups goes. My guess is they would stand to lose a lot more by not re-signing him.

Again, when Dumars addressed that question earlier it was enough for me. A deal is going to get done. That is as Tater pointed out that CB does not do anything stupid between now and then.
  12. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Very nice post Max, your quote above pretty much took the words right off my keyboard, especially the final paragraph (see bold print). I too don't want to overpay for Chauncey and even he (wisely) admits that he isn't a player worth max dollars. However the fact of the matter is some of these desperate clubs are going to throw some crazy dollars at him grossly overpaying him (just as chicago did to ben), therefore Dumars & Mr. D better be prepared to make an at least competitive offer.

Personally I'm not really even comfortable offering Chauncey a 5 year deal, I'd rather give him something $50 million for 4 years w/ a 5th as an option. However I know that may be a deal breaker... Bottom line here is Chauncey may not be worth the money we have to pay him to stay, but is it worth losing him and basically having our team fall apart and likely eventually crumble back down to lottery status as it did after the Bad Boys era... In the long run what costs us more???
  13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Only the loot can make Chauncey HAPPY!!! SO HAPPY!!!!:MusicBigGrin:

As far as losing Chauncey goes, it all depends how far this team goes in the playoffs.
    If we make back to the finals I think win or lose you bring him back. If we don't make it out of the East then I think you have to come to grips that the run is over and not over pay to keep Chauncey.

So I am saying hold on if we are still competitive but if we have been dethrowned then it is time to start looking for a younger alternative like a Mo Williams who is a free agent but is restricted. Not sure about his status. Or a sign and trade for Iverson to get us over the hump the next couple of years until we can find a suitable replacement.
  14. max

max All-Star

Yes there always seems to be someone out there with an unreal offer and all it takes is one.

Winless - Yes it does depend on the post-season. But can't you see Dumars blaming the whole thing on Flip and thinking he can fix it by tweaking the bench?

Hard to say. I really do not want a team that is just good enough to compete either.
  15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Looks like Orlando is pretty unhappy w/ Jameer. Nelson deal no slam dunk - Orlando Sentinel : Top Sports

Which makes me think they will go after CB pretty hard, most likely a sign and trade. Can Joe pull out another Big Ben from Orlando? Jameer would definately fit Flip's system, and if we could also get JJ Reddick or Ariza, the trade wouldn't be that lopsided. or maybe even Darko:pound:
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well, honestly there are a few things wrong with that. I dont' think there's anyway Billups would agree to go to Orlando. Secondly, I don't know if Dumars would really want to replace is Starting PG with a player who's stats read more like Chucky Atkins than Chauncey Billups. Neither Reddick nor Ariza have shown a whole lot to this point so I'm not sure Dumars would be willing to take the risk judging from our issues with so-called "development."
  17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Having watched every Orlando game on league pass, and of course, in person when they came to Detroit, I believe that their main weakness is their point guards. Both of them shoot first and both of them get abused by any point guard who plays opposite them.

For those reasons, I would not like to see Detroit get either one of them. They do not seem to have Piston DNA.

Believe me, it would make my life easier to get Darko back up here so that I could save money by not getting league pass, but if it meant his coming up here to play with Jameer, no thanks. I really feel that Orlando's young players would have progressed much, much further with a Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billips, Steve Nash type PG but there is no way they are going to compete for a title with their two presend PGs.

Darko and Dwight especially would profit by just getting rid of Nelson and starting Travis. Travis, in the few instances he is in there, gets the ball to Darko instead of ignoring the many times he does get his man blocked out and is open. And it would help Dwight because Travis gets him the ball where and when he can score with it. Half of his turnovers, and there and many, are because he gets the ball down in traffic and a shade too late to do anything with it.

I also believe that the only reason they are trying to jam Jameerr into the system is that he is a very good buddy with Dwight and they do not want to lose Dwight.

The reason JJ has not shown up is that they put him in the game so scarcely and when he comes in and drops a trey right away, he is jerked pretty soon after. I don't know why but it happens. And it is very noticible that when Travis comes in, again so scarcely, that the offense picks up and the ball moves.

Of course, Ariza is a gem. He has been out injured for months but he is someone who can make things happen and he has worked on his weaknesses.

The reason I was sucked into making the predictions I made at the start of the year was that I felt that if I could see these things and the forumites down there could see them, that the coaches and GM would be able to see them.

But apparently they cannot --- or WILL not.
  18. roscoe36

You're ok lazy. It will turn around for Orlando. They might need to change coaches first though.
  19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like snaq and penny made him look a whole lot better than he was back in the Magic glory days.

Never really rated him myself. He looks like Skiles lite.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just to be clear, I am not advocating trading CB. I want him to stay. He is the mvp of this team. But if he wants more money than Detroit will pay, we have to get something back in return. Jameer is not a CB replacement or even a backup pg, but he could be a decent backup 2 (a shorter better Flip).

As for CB not wanting to go to Orlando, why not if the cash is right? CB automatically makes Orlando better and Detroit worse. Considering the sorry state of the East, the team would definately be a playoff team next year. And it's Orlando, Fl.