Billups finally talks about future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think that CB already had the proverbial free agent conversation with Joe D.

He probably told Joe that he would like very much to play in his home town of Denver, however, he refuses to go out like Ben therefore, he would consider a sign and trade.

Know one can tell me that Joe and CB hasn't discussed this issue privately, it wouldn't be human especially if no one is privy to the conversation except for the two parties concerned and the four walls.

Billups will try hard this year to win a championship with the pistons, after the season look for a S & T.
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Max-

Yes, I can see Dumars blaming Flip. The bench is what it is. We are no going to get much because we don't want to pay to bring quality players here. The front 5 eat up the cap so unless Davidson lossens the purse strings this is what you get.

I hear you. I don't want to become a team like Washington where they are good enough just to get pumbled in hte 1st round.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I would agree up to a point. We have had some good bench players who have gone on to get more off the bench minutes or even start with other teams.

I think the problem is that because we have 5 starters that can score and Dyess, which makes a total of 6 guys that can give you 20 plus on any given night given the minutes, why let the other guys shoot.

The guys that have come off the bench with the Pistons for the last several years are here for one purpose. That is to keep the other team from scoring while the starters rest.

You never see all five starters off the floor at any one time and often it is RIP and 4 bench people including Dyess. So naturally RIP or Dyess are going to get the shots because they are better at shooting than the other guys out there. How many shooters do you need for these 15 minutes a game?

The only time Delfino, Hunter or JMax shoot when they come off the bench is when they are open or hot. But the game plan is that RIP and Dyess are the first two options. That is how it has been and that is how it will continue until one or more of those six guys leaves.

:hoops:
  4. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

I can't really buy the going back home to Denver possiblity simply because they already acquired A.I. I doubt denver is even able to add on another big salary when they're already footing the bill for melo and iverson... Oh yeah let's not forget they're already overpaying for k-mart as well if my memory serves correct. If denver never made the big trade for a.i. they would indeed be more of a threat to try to pry chauncey away from us...
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

sign and trade after CB requests it. Denver would presumably package AI in the deal.

I hope it don't happen. Until it does, I'm just going to assume that everything CB says is a way of bargaining and that he would be willing to re-sign in the D.
  6. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

.. my take is he wants to come back.. but doesnt want to seem too loyal as to lower his worth.

so he flirts with other teams to make sure he gets his fair share.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yep Maverick. The Art of Negotiation.
  8. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

We've talked about sign and trade scenarios invloving Billups, what about sign and trade options with Weber? Or is his value so much less than Chauncey's that another team won't have to resort to a sign and trade to get him?
  9. roscoe36

We can't pay Webber very much. Normally you would need to be the team in a position to pay the most for a player in order to execute a S&T.

CWebb at this point looks to be very much like a rental player.
  10. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

OK, I guess this is not an ordinary contract situation. We don't have "Bird" rights on Weber due to the buyout and the fact that he hasn't been with us for two years. Is this the gist?
  11. roscoe36

Yep. You got it.

Bird Rights = 3 years
    Early Bird Rights = 2 years
    Non-Bird Rights = 1 year

120% of the minimum salary for a 10+ year veteran.

$1,219,590 * 1.2 = $1,463,508

Of course, we do have our Mid-Level Exception to spend, as will most of the capped out teams.

These are the teams that will possibly be under the cap and have more to spend than the Mid-Level Exception. I've listed the *important* free agents each team has.

Atlanta
    Charlotte (Free Agents: Matt Carroll)
    Memphis (Free Agents: Chucky Atkins)
    Chicago (Free Agents: Nocioni)
    Milwaukee (Free Agents: Rueben Patterson, Maurice Williams, Charlie Bell)
    Orlando (Free Agents: Grant Hill, Darko)
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Could we use the MLE on CWebb? Is this a good idea?
  13. roscoe36

I think it is a good idea if we can address guard depth in the draft.

Yes, we can use the MLE on Webber. I doubt he will sign for much less. It all comes down to which of the teams he would like to play for, and if they have bigger needs to address with their exception than adding CWebb.

I don't want to say it, but it's hard to argue it is not true. CWebb tanked in Philly. The papers there have been whining for months that the guy we have is not the guy who played there to start the season. And they should be mad because Philly is still paying him $18 million a year.
  14. BillLaimbeer

The stats are about the same for this year:

Philly: 11.0 pts, 8.3 reb, 3.4 ass, 1.0 stl, 0.8 blk (30.2 minutes)
    Det: 13.7 pts, 7.4 reb, 3.3 ass, 0.9 stl, 0.7 blk (31.6 minutes)

The scoring and shooting percentage are now higher. Perhaps that has to do with the more balanced offensive attack for Detroit.

CWebb is certainly happier. That is for sure.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let me try to argue it.

stats in Det/Phi
    MPG- 31.6/30.2
    Pts- 13.7/11.0
    FGA- 10.4/12.8
    FG%- .539/.387
    3P%- .333/.400
    FT%- .636/.643
    Rebs- 8.3/7.4
    Ast- 3.3/3.4
    Stl- 0.9/1.0
    Blck- 0.7/0.8
    TO- 1.89/1.83
    PF- 2.8/2.0

Really the only area he improved in Detroit is FG%. He took more shots per game in Philly... and I'm willing to bet that they were much more contested. All the best parts of his game were slightly better in Philly... assists, steals, blocks. Just imagine Iverson dribbling around and around and then kicking the ball to Webber with 3 seconds on the shot clock. Detroit has 4 other players that demand more attention than Webber. That is a recipe to get a better shooting %.

I don't see any tanking in the #'s. Would a player do all of the little things and then choose to intentionally miss shots?

EDIT- sorry Laim, I see you did the same thing.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And he had been a 20 / 9 guy the prior three seasons. Wasn't he playing with some kind of injury earlier this year?
  17. roscoe36

Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/17/2007 | Bob Ford | Webber took Sixers for a ride

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've often felt remarkable better on leaving Philadelphia.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Yes, and I did it much more concisely and eloquently. :pound:
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Extortion and tanking are 2 different things.

LB extorted his way out of Detroit. He never tanked games... unless you count making Tay guard Duncan as a form of tanking.