Billups finally talks about future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We're splitting hairs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled someone screwed a conference rival to join us and give us a shot at the title.

But it is what it is.
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

BUT.....

Don't we have to keep our MLE to retain Acker and Amir? I thought I read that someplace.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

4. roscoe36

We only need to keep it until Acker and Johnson's situations are resolved.

Amir will be a restricted free agent.

Acker will also be a restricted free agent, with an option to continue playing in Greece for one more season.

As soon as Amir is re-signed, or accepts his qualifying offer, and Acker accepts his qualifying offer from Detroit or takes his option in Greece, we will be free to use the MLE on free agents.
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Do you think Amir and Acker will replace Dale Davis and Murray on the roster next year? We could come back with almost the same roster we have this year. I am hoping that Webber is willing to re-sign and finish his career here for minimum dollars.

Is there a minimum amount that Webber has to get or is it open to market value and his decision. Another words; does he have the option to sign with us for whatever $'s he and Joe agree on?
  6. roscoe36

We will have too many players next year. I'm not sure what Joe will do.

We have (probably) 2 first round picks, a second round pick and Cheick Samb and Alex Acker not on the roster. Samb's contract in Europe is for one more season, and Acker has the option for next year.

Davis will probably be gone.

It's seems pretty safe to say that if the Pistons can get a decent point guard in the draft, Will Blalock may be gone.

Also Hunter apparently has the option to move to the front office after this season, which would probably be a wise decision because he isn't available for an entire season anymore. It's hard to carry older rotation players that miss games and need to be rested.

The league has maximum and minimum salary levels based upon years of service. If you are on an active roster for one day, that counts as a season.

Because we are capped out (as are most of the teams), our ability to pay free agents is limited. Frankly, we can't offer more than anyone else to CWebb and some teams can go above what the Pistons can offer.

I think it's unlikely that anyone will throw big money at CWebb, and because of that, everyone will be on a relatively level playing field with him when it comes to money, so it's going to be intangibles like location, minutes, quality of teammates, locker room atmosphere and maybe even endorsement possibilities that will make the difference.

It's really going to come down to Joe's desire to have Chris back, and Chris' desire to be a Piston.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's what I've been thinking too, and what it suggests to me is that CWebb is pretty likely to be back with the Pistons next season. He probably won't get that much more money from anyone else, and how likely is it that some other team will offer him what he thinks would be a better situation for him? So far, it's been working out for him in Detroit about as well as anyone could have hoped for.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And that probably depends a lot on what happens this year. If there is a ring, Webber might even retire. If there is a finals appearance and loss, I'd say he comes back assuming CB does. If there is an early playoff exit he might be gone.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pumped about Acker. From the games I've watched this year, the guy looks very assertive.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

there's about a less-than-0% chance dumars brings darko back to detroit
  12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If it happens, I'll make sure I'll be BANNED FOR LIFE in the NBA and not send to NBDL...:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

Someone got banned n sent to NBDL, was it your doing, scoe?
  13. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Well its been a while but well Mr. Bigshot will go after the max deal since he already have a ring so i really dont know if he will stay in motown..