1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Billups for AI, straight up

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Apr 30, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Before I post this, I have prepared myself for battle because I know that I am going to be lambasted for this.

Please hear me out;

One thing I have come to recognize about CB is he seems to be sleep walking at times, yeah he can hit the big shot, he may be bored and need more of a challenge.

Allen Iverson however, is hungry, very hungry to win a championship. I can see him working real well with our current players. CB has a challenge in philly to get the sixers in contention, showing the young fellas what a playoff caliber team is all about.

The only other change I would make in the off-season, is adding Charlie Bell, Shane Battier or both to our current roster, this will mean letting a few folks go.

Jared Jeffreis would also be a very good pick up especially since he won't be back in washington next year.

Alright let the bashing begin.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I understand ArmyG. It's the tundra up there in Whiskey or So. Dakota whereever you are. You've got too much time to think. Maybe you could rebuild a jeep or something.

3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I can hear Rip and the rest of the Pistons already:

"PASS THE DAMN BALL!"

4. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

:tsk:

For a second I'll pretend like Billups has bad games all the time, doesn't lead the league in assists-to-turnovers, doesn't hit clutch shots, doesn't shoot 90% from the free throw line and doesn't bully other point guards. Also, I'll overlook the fact that your trade proposal doesn't account for Iverson and Billups' contracts not matching up.

What I do understand about your point is that Chauncey can, at times, fail to excite his teammates. Is he steady to a fault maybe? Is his game too dull?

The question I think you're asking, Armygirl, is: Would you rather be entertained with an electrifying PG at the expense of a championship, or would you rather have a steady and efficient PG who's game is sometimes dull, albeit successful?

Arroyo comes to mind. His flashy game quickly wore its welcome out on me. I hated his shot selection and his needless turnovers. Most of all, I hated watching leads dissolve under his shifts. Although his crafty passes were thrilling, I don't miss him at all. He was a bad floor general.

My point is this: if I could wish for one thing for this Piston team, I would wish for an energetic player or two to come off the bench, someone who could really spark the team the way a Jon Barry-type is able to. We don't need an AI to keep the team excited and inspired; it's largely up to Ben to do that. But some exciting reserves who could re-energize the team in the midst of a game would be a big help.

You don't want your point guard to be your "exciting" player, IMO.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What amuses me is that this type of proposal would eventually be rejected by the fans... considering how little anyone knew about Chauncey coming out of Minny.
    Yeah, you have to consider the big contract difference (possibly much closer in a year).
    AI's assists are always good because he has to dominate the ball... typically only two players get to touch the ball when AI brings it up.

Then there the injury situation with the reckless way AI plays... this will only get worse with age (as his contract explodes).

But it's still cool to have this even brought up.

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Armygirl, I'll give you credit for thinking. Probably have a lot of time for that in the Wisconsin wasteland.

I think that would be a great trade. Get a solid team leader who can take over games, run the point, make big shots and play defense...one of the best players in the game today who should be good for several more years.

Yeah that's a great trade for Philly.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Griffin said everything that needs to be said. Great post.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

army, A.I. 5 years ago I would agree with you. I wonder how much Joe is going to offer Chauncey and whether it will become an albatross for Detroit.

Bell is my man, but he's under contract in Milwaukee next year. We were so busy trying to find Darko meaningful minutes, and thinking that Arroyo might work out, that Tony Ronzone obviously slept on a guy that some teams were watching in Europe.

You can be sure there will be a roster shakeup if there is no title in Detroit this year.

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree with you microwave. What I fear the most is how long this group will actually be able to coexist. I for one would like to see them together for many years to come. However, more than likely it will not happen.

Sometimes when a group stays together too long, they kind of develop that halo affect or otherwise thinking that they are invincible and untouchable, or the "I can turn it on and off at will".

In a way I can see the fringes of this happening. I hope I am wrong.

The only reason I threw AI's name in the mix is because he is one tough little dude who is hungry for a title. I think with the pistons mentality, he would become more of a team player. When you look at the salaries, I know it would be very difficult to ge AI. JOE D tried his best to get him a few years back.

10. max

max All-Star

I don't think anyone is right or wrong on this - just differences of opinion.

Age wise the 2 are only a year apart. AI is 31 and Billups is 30. Seperated by 15 months.

Question is would a volume shooter like AI blend in with the team and be able to replace what Billups does for us? And would he become a distraction? AI also has an injury history.

Like Mwave wrote - there will be a shake up if the Pistons do not win it all. Last year we kind of got a free pass since things were so close and we were able to pin the whole thing on LB.

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Yes. I'd even throw Tayshaun in.

They're both low-percentage gunners without conscience, but Iverson might actually be the better passer. Iverson is actually the better rebounder. They're approximately equally clutch. Chauncey's a better pure shooter.

The Pistons would lose a little defensively, but Chauncey is a lazy defender most of the time anyway. Iverson's whininess is probably the lesser of two evils when compared to Chauncey's arrogance. The injuries would probably be the biggest concern.

I think the Pistons would get the better of that trade.

Now, Kirk Hinrich the Pistons could have drafted instead of Darko, and pushed Billups to his best role as Vinnie Johnson-style sixth man I'd definitely trade for.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Actually, there is a right and wrong to this:

The trade doesn't work financially - to put it mildly, since he'll be making about as much as Rip and Sheed together for the next three years.

Iverson hasn't won anything since Georgetown, chasing off any Sixer close to his ability.

He's less selfish now but still relies more on freelancing than running plays. If the Pistons are about "balance," he is the ultimate unbalanced star.

His defense is a net loss.

Effect on team chemistry will be a complete unknown, but it can't be improved.

His style and age almost guarantee lengthy absences due to injury, forcing us to play inexperienced players because we won't be able to afford a quality backup.

The man who made fun of practice clashes with a "Goin' to Work" team.

The idea of replacing Chauncey with a young, promising guard might be worth the gamble. But this isn't even a gamble. It's a Philadelphia Rebuilding Plan.

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I only have this to say....HEYYYY Girrrrrrl...Now recent studies in the military has shown that the lack of constant sex due to living in wisconsin combined with the abundance of gun powder aroma from firing M-16's cause a lack of oxygen to vital body parts, Saying that, as a Gulf War vet, I feel your pain. There are drugs hidden at Area 51 that can cure you from the dimensia you are expiriencing. Get help now! please.And to think, I was falling in love with you, too.:pray:

(the message u just read was sponsored by the sarcastic buttholes of America.)

14. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

ROTFLMAO!!! :laugh:
    Now, that was funny.

15. max

max All-Star

This is not really as far fetched as it sounds. That is depending on how
    the Pistons do in the post-season. Salary wise you can always throw in whoever to balance it out and the new salary matching rules are a bit easier now.

Remember Dumars almost traded for AI in 00.

Lets hope it does not happen since that would mean something is very wrong with the Pistons for Dumars to break up the core like that.

16. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Ammendment: Isiah was pretty exciting. So I shouldn't blanket this comment.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It would be an interesting 1 year experience, and an excellant talent check. I'd say we go from winning 65 games to 59 games. But still get to the finals.
    I'd do a one year experiement: Bup-Bup for Nash

18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons don't win the title this year, I might be up for some sort of trade involving one of our starters. How's that for going out on a limb? :laugh:

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D tried to trade for AI? Whom did he offer? Wasn't that about the time he got Stackhouse to Detroit?
    100% agree- I see this affect in Detroit coming slowly. None of the starters has to fear wether his starting job nor his minutes. Dyess either.
    Sure, it keeps the team balanced but there are also some serious negative effects. In San, for instance, at least the 2 and the 5 spot are always discussable. Miami has 3 role players who battle with the bench guys for minutes. In D, all of our players haven't seen a decrease in their minutes, even when they were in a slump (and, maybe except for CB and BBen, every player has been in slump for a few games this season).

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From Eric Pate @ WDFN in an article he wrote back when Stack was still with the team: