Billups Hamstring Updates

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 9, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Matt Dery said on WDFN, that Chauncey was actually walking today. That it was an improvement over yesterday, when he could barely walk.

Please continue bumping this thread with updates as you have them!
  2. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Chauncey limping 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not sure if this is as recent. but he was on ESPN saying that he never had a hammy pull like this before, and they asked him if it hurt as bad as it looked, and he said yes.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am no personal trainer, and I have never had a pulled hamstring, however, it seems everyone that I can remember that had one during the playoffs were done.

Anyone remember the `89 Finals? Didn`t Scott and Magic go down with pulled hammy`s?
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Very clever, but Diesel actually goes to practices and gets to talk with the players. He's as valid a source as McCoskey (I know, I know, I know) or Blakely.

And I mention him quite a bit because he's pimped the forum on air before, and is humble and generous enough to answer my emails and tolerate my rants.
  7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I was just passing on what my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl told me about Chauncey.
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

This injury from what i read and understand is much easier to recover from because it wasn't an high impact injury, it came from doing the splits and stretching the muscle beyond its normal range of motion.

Most times somebody pulls this muscle its while running and such.... so fingers crossed this will be a faster recovery then others have experienced....
  9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

he should sit out of game 4.
  10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Yes.

If he was was barely able to walk yesterday, it seems like a bad idea to play him at all tomorrow. If the Pistons lose Game 4 without Chauncey they are still ok in the series and can reassess on Tuesday. If Chauncey reaggravates the leg tomorrow we won't be seeing a whole lot of X's this year.
  11. max

max All-Star

I like him. He is a fan too. That station has a few guys that are mainly hockey and you can tell they just talk Pistons because they have to. With Matt, its nice hearing from a true fan.
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Looking at a couple of factors:
    • severity of injury
    • heal time needed for release
    • psychological factor of adaptation
    • the healing of presence
    Taken in a meandering order; it goes without saying that a stretch might be a far way from a pull and it is best left to Arnie...time is working against a percentage of mobility.

I would take an approach that an absence CB would be an advantage for the Pistons. Working class is supreme for adaptability. Flip has astutely combined the bench roles for familiarity and the feeling of comfort: interchangeable parts for the whole are no longer a surprise. There is (and at times more deleterious) a duty of what is expected, right down to the person not dressing.

There is always, with marginals, the feeling of the wall. This is a huge tacit dimension. It is never a physical barrier, but rather the gathering of energy to overcome. The bench will be ready.

CB needs to sit this one out. Their will be introductions for him to be a presence starting with game five. This will be the edge that the team needs. The use (and the correct use) of a wounded warrior can be a distinct advantage.
  13. max

max All-Star

pass99 - thats very true. Most times teams do step it up when a key player is out. Pistons did that a couple of times when Billups and Rip had to miss some games. Point it we only need 1 win in Orlando to make this a short series.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Shouldn't Kander have stressed flexibility with the Pistons players?

He didn't even do the splits and he's injured.
  15. pass99

At this level, there is no short. You take it as it comes. There has been a huge mentoring aspect involved with this team; which has come beyond the aspect of total victories. It involves the presence of hunger and the trashing of the bone gnarled bare.

I have a feeling of maturity with this team ...and it's mission. A combination of aged presence...with a combination of youthful familiarity of job reaching for expectations. Flip is an easy presence of a calmness writ large...comprised of stability.

This is good.
  16. max

max All-Star

In other words all the time spent developing these young guys ( Stucky in this case ) is going to pay off? I agree with that. He was not out there for all those mins for nothing.
  17. pass99

The role playing is a huge mesh. Most think that the irrelevance of the moment is the now: How are you going to tag this team?

The deeper the team, the greater the draw from familiarity and the experience component rising to the moment.

This team has a mission.
  18. jslove1408

jslove1408 Second Round Draft Pick

why don't you try very slowly stretching to your farthest to your toes... now go as fast as you can and tell me how that works out for you. Muscles respond to being stretched slowly, it takes a lot of relaxation to stretch them something CBill had nothing of when he did the split the other night.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Byron Scott suffered his hammy in practice before game 1 as the Lakers who were undefeated coming into the finals, were kind of "rusty" from being off for a few days waiting for the Pistons finish their 6 game series with the up and coming Bulls. I think they went to Hawaii to relax instead of keeping sharp. :) Scott never recovered to play in any of the 4 finals games

In game 2 Magic suffered his hamstring injury in the 3rd qtr. There were two days off between game 2 and 3 just like our current situation now. Magic tried to play in Game 3, but after playing about 5 mins, he could not go any further and he was done for the playoffs. Without Scott and league MVP Magic Johnson, the Pistons swept the lakers in 89.:peace:

I am not sure that CB will give it go or not, but I am all in favor of him sitting it out until game 5.

I am just surprised no one has started a should he play or should he sit it out poll?:noidea:
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

What you are saying is true for cold muscles. Billups was warmed up, and those muscles had already been stretched prior to tipoff.

Arnie himself even stated that Billups simply went slightly past his maximum range of motion.

That being the case, I believe Tayshaun has a valid point. Increased range of motion would have possibly prevented the injury.

Arnie would probably tell us that it isn't really functionally necessary for a basketball player to be able to do the splits. I would have to concede that point as well.