Billups Interview on 1270

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Craig, Sep 1, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What a tease

:mad2: Craig heard it but won't come back in with the details! And when we get it you can erase all the "Well what did he say posts".
  2. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

I got this from Terry Foster's blog:

Billups Blasts Brown

Pistons guard Chauncey Billups is no fan of the way his former coach Larry Brown handled project Darko Milicic.
    His fear is that Brown might have "beaten" Milicic up so badly mentally that he may never become a good NBA player.
    Billups dumped a big load on Brown' lap during Thursday's Sport Inferno Show at Lucky's of Novi. Fans immediately reacted to what Billups' words much of the day.
    “I just think Larry beat him up too much,” Billups said. “He beat him up and tore the kid’s confidence apart too much and it was too tough for him to recover. Maybe having a new face in Flip (Saunders), it is different. Hopefully he didn’t beat him up too much where he can never recover.
    “The kid has unbelievable talent and there’s nothing he can’t do out there on the court.”

Milicic, 20, came to the Pistons as a 7-foot jump shooting small forward. Brown attempted to turn him into a post player, an experiment that has yet to pay dividends.
    Milicic has scored just 115 points in two seasons and is shooting 29 percent from the field.
    Billups said he attempted to talk to Milicic, but said he did not get support from the coaching staff.
    “I have done a lot to help him but when I would try to help him with that I was not getting help from the coaching staff,” Billups said. “I just wanted Larry to play him some minutes in the second quarter or third quarter-minutes where it is not going to hurt the game or affect the game. It would get him thinking he can play or he is one of the good players on the team. And that keeps him from having those self confidence problems.”
    Billups said Milicic deserved more playing time in the second and third quarters, but Brown refused.

** In the same interview Billups picked the Pistons to return to the NBA Finals to face San Antonio. The Miami Heat made significant changes by bringing in point guard Jason Williams and forward Antoine Walker. But neither are strong defensive players.
    “Everybody knows you got to be able to play defense and stop people,” Billups said. “Everybody knows we and San Antonio are the best teams and I think it is going to be the same way.”
  3. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Thanks, Legend

Thanks fo going to the blog and picking up the details. I never think of going to blogs. I guess I had better wrap myself around some of these new-fangled ideas, eh? (Why am I talking like that; I'm not Canadian)
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

LB is just like that as a coach. One of the reasons Joe brought him in was to do what he did. Truthfully the idea was to bring the TYRANT in and see who had the Cajones to perservere in spite of the Tiny Tyrant. That said, it would have been in the interst of the WHOLE TEAM had Larry listened to Chauncey, I can understand not caring about what a teenager says, but when your captain comes to you and says, give him a few mins and ease up, you gotta listen to that a lil bit.
  5. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

This team will be united to play the best basketball for the full season not jus half like last year. CB is the first to come out and let people know what he thought about Brown and Darko. Billups will have an All star year and will lead this team back to the Finals
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is an off the beaten path analogy, but anyone who has read God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert understands the concept of a sacrifice for the long term future.

The premise is that by imposing a harsh reality now to correct deficiencies and sharpen wits/attitudes/motivations the tyrant (aka Brown) becomes reviled and loathed by this generation (current Pistons fans). The fruits of that tyranny and the difficult lessons imparted mature long after the tyrant is gone.

I'm not saying this was a plan of LB or JD's, but it will happen. You will see the benefit this season as the starters, and benchers all have something to prove to the exiled dictator. And that effort and motivation will pay off for us as Pistons fans with a dramatic season from CB. Ben, Tay and Darko. A season charged with the energy we lacked last year.

Good and bad usually balance out. Unless you are a Clippers fan.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Microwave

But the master must not kill his pupil or break his spirit. If that happens, the lesson is wasted as was, perhaps, a most honorable trip to the finals . We shall never know. **holds out open palms** Flip or Larry ... present or future...can you choose wisely, Grasshoppper?

P.S. I'm a big time fantasy & Robert Jordan fan, but I hear Dune Messiah is must reading in the fantasy genre.
  8. Darth Tater

oops

*grasshopper
  9. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

DarthTater. Just for future reference. You can go back and edit your own post, if you want to, after you post it, just click on the edit tab in the bottom corner of any post. Although this option is only available for a short time after your post goes up. There's spell checking available too, in the top right corner of the post window.
  10. Darth Tater

Zoso

Thank you. Will do.
  11. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Not a problem man. You're very welcome.
  12. legend71

Man, Dune was alright, but I prefer my fantasy to be Tolkien-esque! I find Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series to be longwinded and I gave up at book 8 or so. Seemed like there was never a resolution.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I have had the same thoughts after hearing CB's statements. Hopefully, Darko will bear fruit after meditating over LB's apparently harsh criticisms and the support he has from at least one of his teammates.
  14. Darth Tater

legend71

True enough. Jordan does take about ten pages to describe a chair and spends entire chapters talking about shoulder shrugs and stuff. But lemme tell you, book eight has a decent ending and book nine is really really good. Book ten is the absolute worst ever. Nothing happens. Supposedly he will finish the series after twelve books. If so, the last two should be incredible.

Uhhmmm...Go Pistons! (I don't want Micro yelling at me for being off topic).
  15. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

So wait...does anyone have this transcript or live feed or what?

Gahhh I gotta hear it!
  16. aron1231

aron1231 Second Round Draft Pick

Robert Jordan

RJ, in a basketball forum? what's going on here?? i love the WoT series... long-winded, but that's one reason why i love it (much like the long-winded LOTR movies). that, and the characters he creates are extremely vivid and unique. quite enthralling.

oops... basketball, basketball... LB and Darko and CB... go pistons!
  17. legend71

I understand. At any rate, Jordan does much better with his own creation than he ever did writing Conan. It just seemed like every book eneded with some new characters (WOT series) and things didn't resolve. Ha - maybe I don't have enough patience. As far as LOTR goes I am a freak for that stuff. The Father of all good fantasy.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Larry Brown - Okur, Milicic and Delfino

Brown has coached 23 years in the NBA. His first head coaching job in the NBA was with Denver in 1976. He has a very excellent coaching record.

However, it is interesting to note that over the 23 years only 4 European players have played regular minutes for Brown; i.e, Rik Smits 4 years at Indiana, Dikembe Mutumbo 1 year at Philadelphia. Tony Kuckoch a total of 80 games over 2 years in Philadelphia and Memet Okur 1 year with the Pistons.

It is my educated opinion that Brown stongly prefers the American style of play to the European style of play. That means among other things that he prefers his 7 footers to post up. Brown attempted to get Okur and Milicic to change their game to conform to Brown's preferences.

Overall I believe that Brown is just not comfortable with European players. I do not have another explanation for the fact that over the last 23 years only 1 European; i.e., Rik Smits has played over 100 games for Brown.

I suspect that Milicic and Delfino will get more minutes this year playing under Flip Saunders than they did playing under Brown.

Others of course have different opinions but this is mine.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

BF,

I'm not going to look it up because I need a coffee first BUT, Smits went to a U.S. College. He's Danish. I do not believe he played much or at all in Europe.

And Mutombo was a Georgetown Hoya after coming over from the African Congo. Again, not a Euro style player.

The reality is that Brown never had many Euro players to work with because there were so few in the league until recently. Heck, I remember what a big splash Toni Kukoc was when he suited up for the Bulls. And that cat is still playing!

The rest of your post, I think is pretty reasonable, but to be clear, Mutombo was a DPOY and veteran when Brown got him. DM never had a jumper nor was he known for sweet passes. Mutombo's game is heavy metal to the jazz music of Euro style basketball.

Smits was a great center late in his career. A 5 who rebounded, played tough "D" and posted up effectively. Okur will be lucky to have Rik Smits career.
  20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bubububu Billups

I'm glad Billups came to Darko's defence (assuming he really said what has been reported - I still haven't seen the transcripts or heard the audio).

The player's have been quite for too long while Brown caused distraction after distraction all last season.