Billups vs. Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by SmartIversonFan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

All I know is that I'm tired of these spoiled, coddled athletes using cancer as an excuse for their poor play. They should try living in the real world.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Perhaps the debate should be framed in a more pertinent fashion.

Instead of "Billups vs Iverson", try:
    "Doing the SAME THING every year with Billups" vs "Iversons' CAP SPACE"

...I think that's a more applicable argument.
  3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I don't think we are losing becaus AI is here...its cuz Billups is not here. I don't think all of Denvers success is becuz Billups is there...its cuz AI IS NOT THERE. Addition by subtraction
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You're right.

Iverson's CAP space has been really fun to watch this year. It's +/- rating has been outperforming AI most nights, which I wouldn't have expected.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. In the old days they would play through it and not complain.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

CB is not a particularly good one on one defender vs. point guards, as so many point guards have a step or two on him. However, since Rip could guard point guards so well, while Billups did a fine job on the shooting guard, it was not that great of a problem.

What CB does better is to use all that strength of his to fight thru picks well, which means our team defense is better with him in the game.

Meanwhile, AI can't guard shooting guards, and can't guard a small forward on a switch either, again, making our team defense worse.

Meanwhile, the one thing that should be getting better from AI's speed, is our fast breaks. But it ain't happening for the most part. At least so far. However, the starting unit with Stuckey and AI together has only been used twice so far. Lets give that some time.
  7. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

This thread should be locked on account of my dominating the opposition.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I hear ya.

"Doing the SAME THING with Billups" would mos-def be out-performing "Iverson's CAP SPACE" until the playoffs where the Pistons simply would bow-out after their 10th playoff victory.

Hopefully "Iverson's CAP SPACE" can take us further than Game 6 of the ECFs this year!
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you were truly dominant, the thread would lock on it's own.

Something tells me that while you have a lot of game, you're not exactly powerful enough to be in 1st place in the PF.com Fantasy Hockey league.

[​IMG]
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In needs time to get some consistency. I expect it to have a better year in 2010. Hopefully Kander can keep it limber.
  11. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I get so tired of people acting like the Nuggets are a contender this year...there's a few reasons they are winning now besides just Billups

1) Karl emphasized D more this year than he did last year...even the couple games AI played with Den be4 he got traded their d was better than the year be4

2) A healthy Nene....if it weren't for Granger or Harris Nene would win the most improved player award...

3) Camby is OVERRATED...he can't stick ne big 1 on 1 and he leaves his man for uncontest dunks all the time cuz he's always look for the weak side block...and on Offense...he would never go into the paint and he would just shoot 18 jumpers all game...which he NEVER hit...and when he was in the paint he would go for some weak layup and miss instead of dunking it...trust me you'll never hear any Den fans complain about missing camby and thats exactly why..

4) Kenyon Martin is 100% healthy and back to how he was in NJ....

5) Chris Anderson...and top 5 shot blocker in the nba and he comes off the bench...he's crzy athletic and great hustle/garabage man

Billups isn't playing ne better this year then AI played on the Nuggets last year and dont think so look at AI's numbers last year

26ppg...7 apg...2 spg...35% from 3...46% from the field..

and the nuggets only have a couple more wins then the Nuggets did last year and the conference was def tougher last year

i don't think some of you realize how hard it is to shoot 46% from the field when you aren't 6'6+ like most of the other elite scores...AI can't dunk over people like they can..instead he has to make layups in traffic

The problem with AI in Detroit is they're using AI like he's Ray Allen, and maybe even Rip..players that are shooters/scorers...AI's not the type of player that can get 14 shots a game and make 7 or 8 most nights just because AI isn't a pure shooter..he's a streaky shooter..think how many times this year he's started off 2-8 but then went 5 for 6 in the 3rd quarter...you give him enough shots and he'll do that every game.

Some of you can't honestly think he went from shooting 46% to shooting 42% just because "he's lost a step"???? (which is bs he hasn't lost a step)
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, we need to just Iverson's Cap Space be Iverson's Cap Space. Stop holding it back.
  13. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

Again with this .......mah :frusty:
  14. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

We should trade "Iverson's CAP SPACE" and our first round pick to the Knick's for "Marbury's CAP SPACE" and their first round pick. We leave Starbury circling in his own plane and try addition by subtraction.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree with Lee's assessment on their defense (see his post).

The Pistons are hurting by losing Billips three ball ability. No one else on the team except Sheed can step up in that critical category in the current NBA offenses. Tay might but doesn't. The Pistons have lost a few games because of free throw shooting. These areas are important.

Lee is right--so far, the fast break isn't there--should be better with AI.

AI's stats in the past are meaningless. He has not been a consistently good shooter outside 15 feet with the Pistons. Inside 15 feet, he has a nice game as long as the turn overs are at a minimum.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

There's no way in hell Iverson is a better shooter than Billups..... just look at their career EFG%, which is a far better measure since they both shoot a lot of threes (though Iverson shouldn't be shooting a lot of threes)

Career EFG%

Billups: 493
    Iverson: .453

That's a big differerence.
  17. Jewelz0376

I think thats because of 1) He's a streaky shooter and 2) Iverson is a better shooter off the dribble and he gets most of his jumpshots on det off of catch and shot situations
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You're in denial if you actually believe that. He is not the sole reason for their success, but he is a BIG part of it.

The Nuggets have played 12 or so games without Carmelo this year and Denver has posted a winning record in those games. What further proof do you need?
  19. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Indeed. This is the Gandhi of threads. Well done.:confused:
  20. Jewelz0376

I think part of the reason the difference is so big is because Iverson's whole career the opposing teams d #1 goal was to keep AI from scoring....so he was taking much tougher shots then billups..who played along side Rip,sheed, etc..

The only thing I'll say is Billups is a better catch and shoot/stand still jumpshooter....Off the dribble or in traffic AI is better....