Billups vs. Iverson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by SmartIversonFan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pistons have probably dropped 3 or 4 games this year just with poor FT shooting. It's a team wide problem.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess has been really bad. No reason for it from such a good shooter.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Those jump-passes that AI makes when he is driving to the hoop absolutely drive me crazy! It's such a low % pass and very rarely does the ball get to the outside shooters cleanly, if at all.

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Maybe someone could explain to me why Sheed and Tayshaun were shooting technical free throws last night?

5. roscoe36

Curry told those guys to take care of the "technical stuff".

Isn't there a certain poetic asymmetry to Sheed shooting techs?

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That tech that Darko had to shoot cold off the bench was pretty funny. I don't remember how it happened (injury?), but the other team got to pick which Piston would shoot.

7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lol! Totally! &%$#@** Ironic!!!!!

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If a player is injured while fouled and can't continue the other team can choose who shoots the FT.

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Obviously those are extremely rare occurrences, but I don't understand that rule at all. If the other team commits the foul, why do they benefit from picking who shoots the free throws?

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Probably so a bad FT shooter can't fake injury when there's a big FT on the line.

11. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Iverson is the better player, he just doesn't fit Detroit's playing style.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Year over year. Comparing Mr. Cerebral Touch to the $22M Superstar.

Stat: CB (Jan08)/AI (Jan09)/ Difference
    MPG: 35.2/ 37.7/ -2.5
    PPG: 18.7/ 16.9/ +1.8
    APG: 5.8/ 4.6/ +1.2
    SPG: 1.5/ 1.2/ +0.3
    TO: 1.9/ 2.2/ -0.3
    FT%: .900/ .714/ +.186
    eFG%: .600/ .415/ +.185

Last year at this point, CB was rolling. Shot an amazing 60% in Jan when 3's were combined into his shooting %. Total shooting with free throws included, raises that to .807, or 1.6 points per FGA! His minutes were so low because our average winning margin was 9.9 points.

At the end of the month, we were in the middle of a 10 game win streak with wins over PHI, ORL, IND x 2, LAL, DAL, MIA, POR, CHA, and ATL.

Some random poster quotes from a year ago...

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

C'mon, I never said this.........

Quote:
    I'm getting more and more impressed by Billups too. I'm not sure he's ever played better than this season. He looks some much in control, and if that jumpshot ever deserved to be called smooth, it's for the way he's shooting this season. He really ought to be starting over Kidd in the ASG.- Ernie TSA

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

More stupid yahoo fantasy rankings:

Season stat totals:
    9 Chauncey
    109 AI

Stats from the past month:
    15 Chauncey
    200 AI

Per game stat averages:
    8 Chauncey
    131 AI

Cap space comes with a big price this season.

15. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Oy vey. When I originally saw this thread, all I could do was sigh, sigh and sigh some more. I suppose it's a blessing and a curse to be the one that no matter what happens, you are the center of the conversation.

After I finished sighing, I decided to take a little break that turned into a longer break than I intended, but that is also in part to my new obsession with Burnout Paradise. Great game, everyone should have it. Only $20.00.

But, I digress.

My answer to Billups versus Iverson? Depending on who you are speaking to, they will tell you which player led the Pistons to the 2004 Championship. Some will say Richard Hamilton. Some will say Chauncey Billups. Some will say Rasheed Wallace. All will tell you that they were a good team. Some might even say great.

When you ask a person which player led the Sixers to the 2001 Finals, they will say Allen Iverson. Done.

For me, that's the difference between the two. Chauncey had the fortune of being a part of a well put together and balanced team. Allen has not.

Now, to answer the question for this particular season. Well, that leads me to what else I was doing during my break. I have come up with a new posting style. One that will prevent the bulk of my posts being about Allen and also giving anyone the chance to skip whatever I do have to say about Allen as a player and as a Piston.

Truthfully, I have run out of new thoughts about this season. However, I do know that sometimes you have to look at the past, to figure out the future. So, that's what I'm going to do. I am going to look at the words and the beliefs of various men and women to see if their wisdom can make sense of the 2008-2009 Pistons.

Now, for a philosophical moment with Star.

The words for this thread come from Miss Celie of The Color Purple:

So, in the movie, this was about Albert whoopin' up on Miss Celie for 10,000 years and it would seem like it wouldn't apply to the Pistons. Howevah! It does.

The Pistons are crumbling. There are three people that can justifiably give the organization the two finger curse that Miss Celie threw out on Albert.

Chauncey. Richard. Allen.

Most likely they are giving an one finger salute instead, but beyond the "they get paid, so shut up" rationale. They've been done wrong.

Granted, Chauncey did get to go home. He can (and does) feel very slighted and betrayed. Fortunately, for him, the Nuggets are doing right by him and they are succeeding on the surface. He's been allowed to put his imprint on the team without much interference and that should help him lick his wounds.

Allen has not had the same courtesy. He's tried. I suppose Michael Curry has tried. Whatever, it doesn't appear to be working. If Joe knew that the Pistons would stink and traded for him, knowing that he would be the scapegoat, that's cold. Way to jack up the rest of someone's career and chances for their next contract.

If Joe traded for the cap space, but also had a hope that this could work out, then he has still fallen short on carrying out this plan. More things needed to be done and he has yet to do it.

Richard has been given the shaft. He believes that he signed a contract under false pretenses. He lost Chauncey. :rolleyes: He's also lost his starting position. Regardless of what I think will happen with the Pistons in the future or that of the two, I take Allen. I still understand that Richard has been done wrong.

Rodney should be on the bench. Getting him ready to take over the team, did not have to occur in one week or even one month. There should've been a shift in minutes, not in lineups. This "who's going to start" has been an insult to Richard and Allen. It has also diminished both of them for many fans.

It appears that two of the wrongs could be corrected, but it doesn't appear that they will be, so I have to agree with Miss Celie, that this season will most likely crumble.

Sad.

16. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

All I have to say is look at the Pistons now vs. the past

No argument

17. roscoe36

Too many variables.

Changing lineups, different coach, different system, guys are a different age, opponents have gotten better/worse.

It's not easy to make straight line comparison.

18. max

max All-Star

That about sums it up nicely.

AI missed the party. Came a year too late. I don't think Joe traded him just to make him cannon fodder. I do believe that he had a plan to hopefully get the best of both worlds - cap space and winning with AI. So far the winning part has not happened.

Stucky has to stop picking up these quick 1st Q fouls. He starts but has not been getting starter type mins. AI and Rip are still playing more. I do agree that the whole drama of who should start was unfortunate.

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

What a rich post! You, young lady, are not for burning.

The big decision for JD...how do you keep AI?

Typical sneak attack by JD...get the mixture and thrust it out.

This careful circumstance...from his end; is against the herd instinct (mass direction) and say to all that may become.: I have a vision of northern lights:
    • Stable ownership
    • Cultural accessibility (adaptiveness open to all)
    • A huge respect that survivability builds on the shoulders of past giants
    • Coaching awareness as a leaning process
    • Market value personalized as community
    • Results are always messy
    • Individuals do count

20. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

top post :greenapple: