Billups Webber problem

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

The following quote is from DetNews.

"It changes things, man, it does," Billups said. "When Chris is out there, we go through him and let him make plays. When he's not, I'm attacking, I'm aggressive and I am making plays. I am struggling with that a lot -- when to do what."
    It's not a mystery why they haven't established a rhythm. Since the team returned from a 5-0 West Coast trip, the two haven't been healthy at the same time. Billups missed the better part of three games because of an injured groin. When he returned, Webber had the flu.
    "The only thing that's different is Chris," Billups said. "He's the only new guy and he's a big piece. He's a guy that can really make plays. On one hand, it takes a lot of pressure off me. I don't have to make every play. On the other hand, it puts me in too much of a passive mode and sometimes it's hard for me to turn it back on."
    Webber and Billups are confident the issue will resolve itself with a few more games. Webber, in fact, seemed surprised it was even a concern.
    "I don't understand that," he said. "In the second half (Sunday against Miami), Rip (Hamilton) was really cutting hard and moving and he got involved a lot when I had the ball. Both him and Tay (Prince)."
    True. With Webber distributing four assists, Hamilton scored 10 points and Prince five in the third quarter. Billups, meanwhile, had two assists.
    "But Chauncey is the man and he needs to be aggressive at all times," Webber said.

I'd have to agree with Webber. Chauncey needs to be aggressive at all times. They have been together for several months now. They should be on the same page by now. What bothers me most is Webber didn't even know there was a problem till now. Billups should have talked about this sooner. We are on the heals of a playoff run. They need to get on the same page.

2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Wow. Now that explains why he has played so bad. "Damn you, Webber. This is my contract year and you are taking some of my shine. If you thought this was about winning basketball games...you were fooled!"

3. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I guess my main fear is could it be jealously? And if so, could it lead to Billups becoming disgruntled and leaving like Ben Wallace. Although maybe Ben was more about money. I don't really know how much discontentment led to Ben's departure.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

In my opinion this is a bunch of nothing that the press is trying to turn into something.

Webber will always have his share of Michigan press detractors. The history is too long.

It is like Sheffield in N.Y. though with Webber the press problem goes a lot deeper and Webber is a local guy whereas Sheffield was a "Rent a Player" in N.Y. just like he is here.

However, having said that, the press can really mess your head up with some of the stuff they write so I agree that the C boys need to be talking straight and often with one another for the Pistons to get the maximum out their abilities.

:hoops:

5. DirtyMoney

I don't even think it is jealousy. I do believe because of his lack of consistency, he is looking for an answer as to why. My question is, why would this come about this late in the season, after he has come back from injury as opposed to when Webber first came aboard?? there was nothing but praise to be given to Webber and to the team. Why, after Flip was intergrated, pretty well with the starting unit, would he say anything (excuses for the scouts for his production?). The games that I have seen before the injury, CBill would take the ball to the hoop to draw fouls or post up. Lately, it looks like he is putting more effort into beating his man off the dribble to take it to the rack to score. It is good to see him doing what he is doing, but he may hurt himself trying to out do Murray (maybe).

With all that being said, with him coming back into health, why wouldn't he feel good about some of the pressure being taken away??

I make sense to myself.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly correct!!

7. Pistonchickforever

Pistonchickforever First Round Draft Pick

The media is constantly looking for something where nothing exists. They will over analyze every quote by the Pistons and try to create a big story when, in truth, nothing actually exists. Just a bit of hype to keep us focused until playoff time.

8. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

I don't think it will be a huge concern. Maybe the media is just trying to fuel the fire. Anyway it's not jealousy or anything like that but it is about adjusting.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The player/leader of this team needs to communicate his concerns to Webber. Do this during team meetings or in practice with a one on one. It's up to Billups to mesh with Webber. If Billups wants to stay....................he'll make this go away.............:)

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought your stance was that the media knows way more than us casual internet fans? :stirthepot:

11. DirtyMoney

maybe so. I'll calm my azz down.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think the Det News should start calling Webber Mr. Big Pass and see how mad Chauncey gets.

13. BillLaimbeer

No, it was the coaches and GMs know more than the casual Internet fans.

14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

If that is the case then maybe they can start calling Ricky "Mr Big Pants" and see how mad Georgie boy gets. LOL

15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Whatever Chauncey!!! Blaming Webber for your poor shooting. Nice. If you want to leave the team to get paid just say so. You are the point guard Chauncey you control how much you shoot and how much you pass.

16. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Re: Billups Webber problem???

This is an imaginary problem. Has anyone bothered to check how well Chauncey and the Pistons have been playing lately? In their last 4 games, the Pistons are 3-1, since Chauncey came back. And Billups is scoring 23.8 ppg, 4.3 rbg and 8.3 apg, in those 4 games. There is no problem.

I have no idea what McCosky's article is talking about.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This goes without saying, but CB knows how to deal with the press and this just doesn't slip out.

He is clearly frustrated and his play is not inspired. I see very little emotion with this club. To kick it up during the playoffs is foolish arrogance, as if the opportunity follows the normal routine of a clock's second hand. Perhaps this contract year has not gone as hoped and the security of a 4-5 year contract becomes historically significant with this organization's pattern of contract negotiations.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, but this is a lead component coming from your main leader and he needs to set some things straight before playoffs. I am not happy about this.

18. BillLaimbeer

Much todo about nothing, pass99. CB ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. Some reporter asked him a question and he just gave his typical Mr. Big Shot/Head response. The Pistons are actually looking very good heading into the playoffs. CB is fine. CWebb is fine. Enjoy the ride!

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

What a bunch of BS.

This would be noteworthy if the Pistons were losing!

However, they are looking better perhaps, than they have all year.

I do find it somehwhat comical to hear a PG say, he gets confused when he and a PF or Center is on the floor at the same time because the offense goes through that PF or Center instead of him.

Huh?

Sounds like something you should talk to Flip about bro, he is, well I am assuming he is calling the plays, or are you Mr. Big Shot?

Cb is got to be one of the most baffling PG`s in the league. He can`t finish a fast break most of the time, and now it seems as if he can`t make a decision on how to run the offense with a passing big man on the floor with him.

Hey CB how about you move without the ball and be the recipient of some of those passes!!!!!!!!

Duh........

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So last night, Chauncey gets mad. Some people in the locker room raise their voices.

I LOVE IT.

Billups has been inconsistent, Webber has been lousy (one double digit scoring or rebounding game in his last 7) and Sheed hasn't really stepped up much.

It's time for some bonafide, ass whuppin leaders to emerge. Someone to get mad and drive their teammates to a higher level.

And a little friction is always welcome for a team that is too cool, too casual, too much of the time. Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire.

It's not healthy for a team to be so relaxed. The playoffs are high stakes, and unforgiving if a team doesn't seize and maintain momentum.

I'm looking forward to reports of fist fights at practice. It worked for the Bad Boys. :gun1: