1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Blakely's Comments

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 8, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From Sherrod Blakely:

I still like Ben and respect what he stands for as a player. But some of the stuff he has said the last few days, more than anything else, is disappointing to hear. Not because I don't believe it (a lot of what Ben says is true), but the fact that he decides to put it out there at a time when it doesn't serve any purpose other than to be hurtful.That's not the Ben Wallace I knew; and based on some conversations I've had, a lot of folks close to him are feeling as though the guy they knew, somehow, has either changed or had them hood-winked for a long time. Either way you look at it, it sucks.

On Cheick Samb- LOL. I got a chance to watch some film of him on draft night. ... he runs the floor extremely well, and seems to be active defensively. But I don't see him coming over for at least another year or two. He has to get stronger - a lot stronger - before he comes over here.

On Amir- Keep in mind that he should be a sophomore in college right now, so a growth spurt isn't all that unusual. With his athleticism, his height is irrelevant at this point. He can jump out of the gym like you wouldn't believe. But as we've seen, you need to be more than really athletic to be a good basketball player. He has the size to play the four, but his best chance at helping this team might come at the 3. The problem with that is, he's playing behind two guys - tayshaun and delfino - who are going to have to play, basically, all the minutes at that spot this year. I just don't see him seeing much P.T. this year.

Chauncey's payday will be directly tied with how the team does. If they win, he'll make a TON OF $$$$. If they take another step back, and his game shows signs of cracking - or God forbid, he gets hurt - his window of opportunity to get paid in a big way may pass him by. I see this team winning 48-52 games this year.

In the practices thus far, there seems to be a lot more of an emphasis on getting the ball inside, usually to Double-D, Nazr or Sheed. I think you'll see Detroit look to score more inside, because teams aren't going to be able to double-down like they have in the past. I don't think Detroit will become this scoring machine with Ben gone, but I do believe you'll see a lot more balance offensively.

I think it's WAY, WAY too soon to count Nazr and Flip as not being quality players. When Chauncey came here, he was a considered a ball-hog who cared about nothing but getting his own points. Two years later, Detroit had an NBA title and he was Finals MVP. Rip was considered a good scorer, but the thinking was he couldn't have been that good if arguably the greatest player of this generation, MJ, didn't want him on his team. Today, Rip's an all-star who has to be considered one of the league's top shooting guards. Are Nazr and Flip going to be that good? Probably not. But they each will have an opportunity to contribute in a big way, which is something very few of Detroit's newcomers the last couple of years could say (other than McDyess, of course).

On Darko- To me, the real test will be what he does NEXT year, which is when the new contract that he will probably sign with Orlando this summer, kicks in. We've seen plenty of players (Juwan Howard, Maurice Taylor and Kelvin Cato come to mind right away) who play like stars in a contract year, and don't come even remotely close to being that good afterward.Darko's got skills, and the Magic will get his best stuff this year. But after he inks a new deal, will he still bring it? I'm not convinced.

I think they'll have a good month of November, but I don't see them winning their first nine games. I definitely see them losing at least one or two during that west coast trip, probably the one at Sacramento or the one at Utah which, as most of you know, is a place where the Pistons have always had problems. In their first 15 games, I see them going no worst than 8-7, but no better than 11-4.

As far as Sheed slacking off after he got the money, his BIG, BIG payday was in Portland. The deal he has in Detroit is good, but it pales in comparison to the $$$ he got in Portland. As far as him going into the paint, again, I point to the fact that Ben's presence around the basket made it tougher than it should have been for Sheed - or any other big man - to go to work. Think about it. How many times did you see Sheed double-teamed, and the man coming with the help was Ben's guy? It happened a lot more last season than the year before.As far as Darko is concerned, I have maintained all along that I think he'll be a decent pro. But for what he'll give you relative to the kind of money he'll want to start off making (at least $8M, and that might be low in his agent's eyes), I don't know if he'll continue to work at improving once he gets that kind of money.And as far as a pass for Sheed, I think we've all written at some point how his teammates have stepped up in those 'Guaran-Sheed' games and carried the ballclub. With no Ben in the middle, he has no excuse for not being a bigger force down low.

MLive.com: Detroit Pistons Forum
    threads: 89017, 89005, 89002, 89001

2. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Blakely is a nice guy, but he doesn't really know all that much and, for all the people that claim McCoskey is a company man, I'd be shocked if Blakely ever said something that wasn't straight from the company book.

3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Sounds like A 'rod Blake is down on the 'Stons this year, and already making excuses for why they'll do bad and why Darko will do well.

This is a new one for me, from the company line, on why trading Darko wasn't a bad thing. Sure he'll play well this year, but only because it's a contract year, then he'll suck again, so he's not worth the 60+ mil contract he's demanding.

As far as Amir, looks like he's our future 4, bet we'll see JMax in Europe next year.

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

You gleamed this from Blakey's report? Looks to me like Blakey has him pegged as a possible 3. The motivation for JMax slimming down was to get time at the 3. Looks to me like the backup 3 is wide open for job applicants.

I can think of another player or two who might be in Europe long before JMax.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Is it just me or does anybody else think we're a bit slim up front? I like DD as a 5th big. 4th is kinda pushin it. Keep a keen eye on the waiver wires!

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I agree Hat... however with only one more roster spot they may look for a backup PG instead.... Unless Blalock can turn some heads... however if BBalls comment about Tay playing some point pans out it may still keep us in the hunt for another big.

7. max

max All-Star

I can see Mohamed playing around 24-26 MPG, Davis around 10-12. Keep in mind that Sheed can play some center like he has been doing and he will have to if Dyess is to play more.

Center: Mohamed/Davis/Sheed
    PF: Sheed/Dyess/Maxiel.

Its not a bad front court. Sheed is the marque player surrounded by some depth.

Notable thing about our frontcourt is that they are all tradable players. leaves some flexibility going into the future.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

"On Darko- To me, the real test will be what he does NEXT year, which is when the new contract that he will probably sign with Orlando this summer, kicks in. We've seen plenty of players (Juwan Howard, Maurice Taylor and Kelvin Cato come to mind right away) who play like stars in a contract year, and don't come even remotely close to being that good afterward.Darko's got skills, and the Magic will get his best stuff this year. But after he inks a new deal, will he still bring it? I'm not convinced. "

Gee, to me, its borderline insanity to talk about a player dropping off on a non-contract year when said player has not even played a full year ever. Way premature. Absolute non-sense. Really makes me wonder if Blakely really has anything up there in the smarts department to where we should even listen to the guy.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, I agree that comment was strange. If Darko works his tail off and has success this year, I don't see why he would drop off the following year.

10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It's amazing how with Ben and Sheed on the blocks, Flips sees "shoot more jumpers and abandon pts in the paint."

LB saw, "draw the double and drop the ball to cutters like Rip, Tay, Billups, or Ben for the layup/dunk."

It's even more amazing that people like Blakely who seemed to know his stuff agree with Flip. Sad.:tsk:

11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``I think it's WAY, WAY too soon to count Nazr and Flip as not being quality players. When Chauncey came here, he was a considered a ball-hog who cared about nothing but getting his own points. Two years later, Detroit had an NBA title and he was Finals MVP. Rip was considered a good scorer, but the thinking was he couldn't have been that good if arguably the greatest player of this generation, MJ, didn't want him on his team. Today, Rip's an all-star who has to be considered one of the league's top shooting guards. Are Nazr and Flip going to be that good? Probably not. But they each will have an opportunity to contribute in a big way, which is something very few of Detroit's newcomers the last couple of years could say (other than McDyess, of course).''

Flaw in the analysis: Nazr and Flip won't have LB, one of the game's best teachers, drilling them.