Blalock should be inserted into the regular rotation?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Oct 19, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Unfortunately, I haven't ben able to watch the games. Based on the reviews from my fellow forumites, it appears that Will may be the real deal.

We haven't had the luxury to be honored with a PURE point guard in years, this guy could be the answer. Again Joe has found a diamond in the rough.

During the chat last night, those who actually had the luxury to watch the game, had high praise for Will B. Even the Detroit Sports reporters are giving him props.

Do you think he should take Lindsay's place in the lineup while He rests for the playoffs? It's nothing like a true floor general because that person makes everyone around them better. I myself have been waiting for this day for quite some time and can't wait to see him on the tube.

Any thoughts?

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Why not? It couldn't hurt to stick him in there early in the game and see how he does. If he struggles...NBDL...if not, see how it goes. Do it early in the season so if he does go down there, he can maximize games and then we can shake and repeat.

Its worth a shot.

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

hello.AG....I sense that Wil B should play at least 40 games and average 5/6 mpg's this year. We need some young blood in what has become a young man's league. The dominant players in this league are all from the HighSchool dropout era and we need to add a couple to the mix: Wil B and Amir.........and do u feel a coldness in your soul..a conflict?..:starwars: join us...

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

As much as I like the kid I'd have to see him stick some more outside shots... once the scouting report comes in teams will pack the paint and force him to shoot outside (See Delfino)... I'd like to have him start in the D-league with instructions on improving his perimeter game... then bring him back when we need a replacement... I think it's a little optimistic to think he'll get consistent PT right off the start (11 player rotation).... but I hear there's a Blalock club forming already on the West side :^)

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Merc you're right about Will needing to hit the J every now because when the scouting report comes out they are going to pack the lane on the kid fo' sho'.
    However consider this, can his J be any worse or inconsistent than Lindsey's?????? Having Will and Lindsey gives us tremendous flexibility, there are going to be some nights where you want Lindsey's D and vet experience, then there are going to be some nights where you want the AWESOME Point abilities of Blaylock.
    As a pure PG, built in the PG mold he has the best PG-IQ that I've seen in a Piston Uni since Zeke. I can see why Chauncey speaks so highly of Will's potential, he actually reminds me alot of Jamaal Tinsley, hopefully he has a better conditioning regimen.
    To answer Armygirl, The kid should be given serious consideration for regular rotational time by the coaching staff. A lineup of Will, Rip, Tay, J-Max, and Dyess would really get up and down the floor. Awwww man here I go......my Lee Rotation Virus is acting up again.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Just a few more points I may have missed. There are two concerns that one has to think about with Will,
    1) Size, teams may attack him defensively because he's a little short, but he has a solid bulky frame that makes him nobody's push over.
    2) Can he keep his poise in the regular season when the intensity picks up. I'd sure like to see him have a chance to prove that he can.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This was a great question, armygirl, and I have no answer. When you have talent with your 12th, 13th, and 14th players, that is a good problem to have. Joe D, Flip S, and company have some tough decisions to make.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If you look at Raymond Felton's initiation into the NBA, you can kind of see what Will may be expected to do. In the beginning, Felton was inconsistent and it was said that he had to adjust to the pace of the NBA game.
    I am not entirely sure that the pistons are willing to allow him to struggle as much as he will as he adjusts but I think the rewards would be worth it.

9. armygirl

I understand that he may need to be developed, however, a lot of time you don't know what you have until you put him out there with the big boys.

I hear that he have a sweet little tear drop floater like Chris Paul who played in his first year, also look at josh howard and the other Josh who were thrown in with the wolves.

Also, a lot of the scouts can't understand why Blalock dropped to the last spot in the draft. I think we got a steal.

He may develop rather quickly.

10. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

can't he make em pay by kicking it out to our perimeter shooters?

11. armygirl

What I hear is that he is an excellent passer with above average skills in finding the open man.

12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't imagine a '60 pick to be in the rotation in his first season...

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2X, can you imagine a #2 overall pick out of the rotation in his 2nd year? :rolleyes:

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about an undrafted player becoming a 5 time all-star?

Undersized players can easily slip in the draft.

15. max

max All-Star

Yes but its a long road for undrafted players. Most spend a couple of years oversees or glued to the bench for 3 years.

Lets not get too ahead here. As exciting as the young guys have been playing its still against other teams scrubbs for the most part.

It is a lot better than what we have had for the past few seasons though. Before that lead used to shrink pretty fast.

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd love to see Ballock explode like BBen but one should remember it took him quite some time til' he proved he's NBA material (and hell yeah he did).
    I know some of you are high on the late picks to be sleepers, but I highly doubt it in most cases (except for AJ).

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Of course I'm not saying that Blaylock is a Ben Wallace (I haven't even seen him play 1 second yet). My point is that he is possibly better than your typical 60th pick and was overlooked b/c of his size. Maybe he should have been drafted 40th.

We basically picked up a penny stock. If he goes bankrupt, no big deal. But if he explodes, then we are in the money.

18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

This idea deserves some discussion. First off like Merc, I'd like to see Will develope/display an outside shot. On the other hand, he could do some damage accompanied by a bunch of "finishers" in certain situations. Plus I'm wonderin if he can string four or five similar type performances in a row.

Lindsey is supposed to sit the first half out. That's his job. We want this guy fresh come post season. Might as well give Will some (hopefully) well-deserved minutes early this season.

This might be the year to play our hungry youngsters significant minutes early. Get's them some PT even if it means a loss or three. After all.....we got a couple picks this year.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I say the question is not whether Blalock should be put into the regular rotation, but rather should Blalock be given the chance to compete for a regular spot in the rotation. And I believe the answer is yes. Lets all pay attention to whether Blalock does get a shot here, or if the coach buries him on the bench.

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I say give the youngster some minutes early and often in the regular season, because if CB or Lindsey goes down he might be forced into action with 0 experience.

What I have heard and seen he is more of a true point than CB. I don`t buy the talk about not having a "J"; neither did Jason Kidd when he came into the league.