1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Blalock should be inserted into the regular rotation?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The mear fact of being drafted does not entitle anyone gauranteed PT... We tend to jump to conclusions about how someone might perform on a nightly basis... encouraging signs are just that... small data points... Jenkins also looked great in spurts... as did Edgar Jones.

Brahma on the other hand is showing consistency.. he's taking the "Bull by the horn"

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

According to some Darko fans, he is "wearing the Devil's horns"! :rolleyes:

3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Was about to brag about being the first on the Blaylock bandwagon, but I looked at my first post about him, form the Knicks-Pistons TSLVSL and it was:

No Piston highlights, JMax is not looking good, poor boarding, slow, looks tired, horrific free throw shooting, black hole with the ball, but his inside game is looking good.... Samb looks good, I'm serious. He just needs some weight, some strength, and a couple of years overseas developing his game. (Put Samb's effort with DMC's nat skillz, and you have an all NBA player).

Like Ackers game, no point guard, but could be a very good backup 2, Blalock looks ok.

Ok, Ok is ok, but the players that suprised me the most were Samb (cause he didn't suck) and Blaylock, played pretty well compared to everyone else. Can't wait to see some real Pistons games, but Blaylock and Farmer (Lakers) could be the suprise pointguards from last years draft.

Don't blow it Joe.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I believe that he is the only point guard on the roster. All the rest are off (shooting) guards.

5. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Pure point guard. Calls for a screen not to get himself open, but to draw both defenders to himself so he can dish to his open teamate. Very confidant, runs the floor as if he owns it. Pistons would benefit from having him on the floor for 82.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

At least you didn't dog him. And it wasn't like he was dominating. OK is a good rating. So let's get that band wagon rolling into the season.

7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for showing some reality. There are quite a few PG floating around he league (and DL)that can easily fit in with the pistons. None are spectactularly gifted, but will do a solid job and most are battle tested. There were 59 players drafted ahead of him and probably 60 more that were not drafted with undoubtedly equal or better talent. The pistons will have some throw-away draft choices next year and the free agent crowd will be available. The young man will need time and a lot of luck. The club has some serious minutes to deal out this year to test out potential staying power for some marginal players as trade fodder. He will not develop over the next year or two into a 6ft (if that) LeBron PG type, which means that JD will make the call on the future of his development. Most might think that if JD decides to let him travel with the club it will signal a strong role for his future development...I think just the opposite. History as repeating pattern development, shows a strong emphasis in his role as a free-floater...DL or Europe. I wish him well.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm one of the hardest forumites on rookies, and a person who generally feels that a young rook with his mommas milk on his breath has no business getting regular mins on a contending team especially the last player picked. But WILL is NIIIICE with the rock. I can't put my finger on it but he just has had complete control of HIS game, THE game and the whole second unit, that lineup of Will, Flip, Brahma and Dyess just played so well together and Will at the point was the main reason for that. There are some guys who no matter who the competition is, what the situation is, know how to just go out there and play their game. I mean we're not talking about a rookie that got hot and scored a bunch of points in a meaningless pre-season game, we're talking about a PG who looked EXTREMELY comfortable in his role and made the T-wolves look REAL silly by constantly getting into the paint and dishing the rock. Plus THE KID GOT THE ROCK ON A STRING LIKE A YO-YO!!!!!!!!!! And not in the mold of that Dumb as Carlos Arroyo too much unecessary fancy dribbling BS, the boy got BALL CONTROL. I ain't demanding PT for the kid, just SERIOUS UNBIASED CONSIDERATION. The coaching staff needs to make a sincere attempt to find out if Will and Brahma can do in the regular season what they're doing now and not just assume that they can't or won't because they're young.

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I have to go back to what someone here who said that PG's are born not made. Based on comments from others who have seen the guy play; Will is just "wired" to be a point guard.

I guess it is possible for the guy to come out of the gate strong without the extra tutelege that he will receive in the NBDL.

I guess it's Flip's call, after seeing the article this morning regarding the other Flip, just think of two unstoppable penetrating guards.

When was the last time we seen that in the D?

10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

well blaylock hasn't been on the court enough to show consistency. he had 1 good showing that got him more minutes. he didn't mess that oppurtunity up as he played well with the second unit for the most part. i say keep playing him until he consistently messes up. don't just not play him because he might be inconsistent. he's a rookie we don't need him to be consistent. if he is having an off night put lindsey or flip back in. he only needs 5 minutes a game.

11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This was said of Maxiell but the sentiment is the same.

"Why don't you put him out there and see what he gives you?" Dumars said. "I think anytime you're talking about a new guy in a rotation, especially a young guy who hasn't played before, once he gets out there and gets an opportunity, he'll dictate how much more he plays. See how he does once the real thing starts."
    http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPORTS03/610210381/1051

not saying that it goes for will blalock too but as Blalock keeps proving himself and improving himself, the idea of sending him out there is roughly the same.

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Again I say give Blalock some needed experience. We all witnissed CB get burned out last year and what a liabilty Lindsey was trying to be a back up PG.

This is a position (PG) where the Pistons are weak. If CB goes down for a while, Lindsey or Flip is not the answer. Blalock could possibly fill in nicely while gaining much needed NBA experience.

Besides, CB could use the rest during the regular season anyway. The idea of having a quick, slashing PG who looks to pass first excites me.