Blalock

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Blalock has been thrown under the bus, so to speak. The actual problem is Flip Murray can't play, or defend, the point. But the press keeps lumping in Blalocks play with Flips.

Well, here are the facts. You throw out one bad stretch, in one game, and the Pistons have scored almost exactly the same number of points as they have given up this season while Blalock runs the point. And consider this, Blalock has no prior NBA experience.

It gets worse. Remember Blalock, the guy who never scored. Well, guess what, he did put in a a few buckets his last couple of games. And-he gets benched. Benched specifically after one bad stretch for the team, in one game, that had precious little to do with Blalock himself. The worst thing Blalock did was get beat by Jeff McGinnis a couple of times. Plays involving picks-so its not like McGinnis actually just took Blalock off the dribble. Indeed, nobody is managing to take Blalock off the dribble. He is doing pretty darn good as a defender.

Its great that Flip Saunders has finally decided to play Delfino some at point. But his decision to take away Blalock's minutes is flat out wrong.

I know there is a similar thread, about our backup point in general. But hey, I want to separate out the discussion to just Blalock.

Please, everyone, what do you like or dislike from Blalock so far.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Ok. I dislike his jumpshot. And his inexperience. He's got good minutes for a rookie PG in Det...he's ahead of the game in my book but really, he needsto be in the d-league with amir.

Maybe we can sneak in some minutes for blalock...and trade out Flip. I also like the way he pushes the tempo.

3. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I like the kid but he's just not NBA ready right now on a contending team. If he was with one of the bottom feeder teams he would get tons of playing time and his game would become more steady. Just from what I've seen he's not much of a shooter, lacks that point guard mentality of taking your guy off the dribble or shooting the lights out. He handles the ball very well, I like watching him dribble but he lacks lightning speed for his size and I don't see him ever being a starting PG in this league because you have to be an incredible defender/rebounder/passer if you can't get it done by shooting. For a 60th pick he's very functional but he's not a diamond in the rough.

4. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

I think hes ok. Obviously hes a rookie and Detroit cant give him heavy playing time because they are contenders and need to win games. Detroit has given him plenty of time though, but I think that they need to concentrate more on the championship than developing him this year.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think his D is solid, but nothing extraordinary. His ball handling is the best part of his game. And his passing is good when the defense is honest.

However, the more he plays, the more his defender cheats. The assists that he had in his first couple stretches dried up when the other teams realized that his shot is not something to respect.

It was obvious that he didn't want to shoot, and when he did, it looked really bad. Not like he was nervous, but like Jason Kidd on an off night.

I'm not sure if this is something that he can work on or not. Usually little point guards can shoot like crazy, they just have trouble getting it off. He should work with a shooting coach for the next 2 years while playing in Europe and see if he can fix the hole in his game.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that Blalock should be in the NBDL right now. He doesn't look quite ready on either end of the floor. He doesn't wow you into thinking that "this guy is the point guard of the Pistons' future". A month or two with Amir in the minors would be better for Blalock right now than riding the Detroit pine.

I'm not crazy about Hunter or Murray at backup PG either, but both are better options than Blalock at this stage. Perhaps Joe D will address this position before the trade deadline.

7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

There was a good reason he was available in the 60 hole last draft and that reason doesn't bode well for him contributing meaningfully now or in the future?

:hoops:

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wait, they are giving Flip Murray major time, and Flip Murray is not even a point guard. So I disagree about the can't part.

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I love his quickness, and what appears to be a body capable of absorbing contact. He may be the quickest Piston with the basketball which is doubbly important given the way games are now officiated. I like that when slightly beaten off of the dribble, Blalock pushes hard to regain position, unlike some of our backcourt personell. Lastly, he seems to have good court vision.

I'm diasppointed that Will dosen't attempt to use his God given quickness to get all the way to the hoop. His jumper isn't anything to write home about, but that can improve with time & work.

Blalock has officially dipped his beak so IRREGARDLESS how much PT he sees from here on out the fire should be sufficiently stoked for an intense summer program.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will agree that palying in the minors is better than riding the pine here. But I would much rather prefer him getting 12 to 15 minutes for us right now, and continuing after Billups comes back. Nothing beats actual NBA experience. Remember this, for just a fleeting moment, Blalock did beat out Flip Murray for backup point minutes. Then Rip had that foul trouble to get him in the 2nd half of a game where he did not play in the first half. Then Billups got injured and poof, Flip Murray is playing again.

As for his shot, the kid can indeed shoot. Its just a matter of getting comfortable in his role, which can be accomplished the quickest by letting him play for us. Our alternatives are Hunter or Flip Murray getting minutes, and neither of these guys can penetrate and dish like Blalock can.

We do have the option of using Delfino as the backup point, but I believe Delfino should mostly be the backup shooting guard, leaving Flip Murray right out of the picture.

There is one scenario I would accept with Delfino as the point instead. That is JMAX becoming the backup small forward, with Tay then becoming the backup shooting guard.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, how do you know he can shoot? Because he has shown the opposite so far here.

I never saw a single game of his at Iowa State. Did he have a shot in college?

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like him, seems like a nice guy.
    He is quite a competent ball-handler and passer. He is quick at bringing the ball up, but due to his lack of experience doesnt seem to be running many plays. It looks like he just gets it up court and dishes off to someone on the wing and the other guys just get into a play themselves.

He is not really doing anything wrong, few turnovers, which is good. He is not forcing it or trying to do too much which is exactly the right thing for him to be doing. But I agree that time in the D-league is just what he needs.

13. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

First of all, Flip Murray is not a rookie and has experience and plays well at point. Against Boston, he was a major reason for the win. While Billups doesnt come back, Flip is their best option at pg for starting not Blalock.

14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I like Delfino at the point. He has shown he can handle the ball, pass and has great court vision.

15. BillLaimbeer

Sure, Blalock may be shooting 27% from the field, but a lot of those misses have looked very good coming off his hand. Plus, he consistently drains shots in pre-game warmups.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Love the kid. If you can't respect his game then you don't understand the PG's true position. I can understand if you don't like his game but as former PG, I respect his game big time. Some of y'all like a pg that is going to drop 20&10, I'd rather see a PG that has 10&6. The assist total in Flips offense is so misleading that it ain't even funy. In our system high assist numbers usually come from passing the ball to Rip when he's hot, so misleading, hell I could get 10+asst in a game when Rip goes off for 35+. In LB4LB's system this pass first, get the BLEEPIN ball out of your hands before the clock gets to 12, mad handles, move your feet on D PURE POINT would indeed flourish; assuming he could make it through the training camp of the senial old goat who's a tyrant.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Blalock was a 10 and 6 point guard, I would be on his side. To me, he looks he would have a season high of 10 points if we started him every game.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The old saying, don't throw out the baby with the bath water applies here. Except for one game where Blalock was heavily minus, Blalock is dead even for the year in his plus minus. In other words, as a backup point, he was doing his job. He was playing D. He was bringing the ball up well. He was driving inside their defense and dishing. He was playing as a point guard.

Meanwhile, another point guard, actually a so called point guard, just got booted out of the rotation again. Flip Murray won't play D. Flip Murray is not a point guard. We keep hearing how our backup point guard play is not good enough, lumping Blalock in with Flip Murray.

Before Billups was injured, Blalock was just getting established as the backup point, moving ahead of Murray. Now that Billups is back, Flip Saunders should certainly go back to using Blalock as his main backup point guard.

This leaves Delfino as the main backup shooting guard. Yes, I like Delfino at point, but I like two guys with point guard skills playing as a tandem a whole lot more.

Here is a bench for you: Blalock, Delfino, JMAX at small forward, Amir Johnson at power forward, and Dyess and Dale Davis sharing the center duties. Hunter would come in for defensive plays, or a quick 2 minutes at the end of quarters in most games. About once a week, Hunter plays as the primary backup point. Thats a 7 man bench.

Just to be complete, our starters would be Billups, Rip, Tay, Sheed, and Webber. I would love to go into this upcoming playoffs seeing a well rested, deep team. Blalock can be a big part of getting us there.

19. BillLaimbeer

Lee, you never answered the question: "How do you know Blalock can shoot?".