Blockbuster Trade Will Happen After The Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

When did this unselfishness come though. At UK he was reigning SEC player of the year and was THE MAN. We have all seen the video of him launching 5 consecutive threes to start the game against UNC. The last one was a 27 footer and had "heat check" written all over it. I can see in the beginning of his career since he is a humble man by nature, but the guy has experienced being Big Dog and was successful at it. To me it seems he should have found it again by now - especially in light of the recent shortcomings by the team.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If Tay can't score on this team against single coverage, what makes you think he can on a bad team when teams can focus on him? It is almost impossible for him to score in less than 15-18 seconds.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The title of this thread might imply that a blockbuster trade will be made involving one of the Pistons' core for another player that is participating in the Olympics.

...perhaps a deal involving Tay for Vladimir Jeronimo of Angola is in the works.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's so much more fun to read your posts and then ignore them myself than to have the Internet block them. :lol: (joking, det)

I just think that we are so starved for news that we have started cannibalizing the players on our team. If we are winning next season, I expect many to forget why they were so down on the guys as they are now. I can understand some of the criticism, but we have been going all out on these guys. We're not the Grizzlies, guys. Don't worry, be happy!!:MusicBigGrin:
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Everybody's right. Tay is a really GOOD player, but to win the EC and advance to the finals you have to go through a really GREAT player at that position. Tay is not a player you give away for a bag of marbles, but if he (+1 more) can get you T-Mac, J.Smith or Melo than pull the trigger. I personally wish Tay was as good as Josh Howard, somebody who can book for 17 & 6 everynight.
  6. max

max All-Star

I know. Its been 3 straight ECF's now that he has vanished. Unless Curry can keep him motivated but a coach should not have to do that at that level.

Other than that, yea he is a nice SF. Scores around 14 PPG, gets some boards, great passer, takes care of the ball, solid defender.

But if he can't play well in the later stages of the playoffs then I don't know. Which is odd since he made a name for himself in the 04 Finals.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tay doesn't vanish in the ECF's. He's simply not good enough to deliver at that stage of the game. Big difference between Andre Iggy and Lebron James and Paul Pierce. When we get to the ECF's Tay gets put in a position against guys that are heads and shoulders above him. Tay's a good player, He just ain't that good.
  8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

The problem is we expect too much from Tay.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tay was our 3rd highest scoring player in the regular season and in the playoffs. He was also our 4th highest rebounder. Also 3rd in assists.

And with his defensive reputation, it is amazing to me that he was our 13th highest fouler. 1.1 per game guarding the other team's SF? That is awesome.

Also, I'm not sure it is fair to say that Tay chokes in the ECF. I think it is more likely that he doesn't match up as well against Boston. If you look at the regular season games, he did worse against Boston than any other team in the league. He only averaged 5.3 ppg and shot 23%.

In the first 2 rounds of the playoffs last year, Tay went for 16 & 6. That is pretty close to what you are looking for, plus he plays great D and doesn't ballhog. Tay shot 50% in the first 2 rounds and only took 7 shots per game.

Meanwhile, we only have 1 round of data from Josh Howard, who went for 12.6 & 7 and who shot a devestatingly bad 29% from the field and had more turnovers than assists. He shot 10% from 3-point range.

How'd he do defensively? Well, Peja lit him up big time. He shot .607 from deep, averaged 15 ppg and somehow increased his rebounding by 30% over his regular season average (pulled down 10 boards in game 3).

I'll stick with my man Tay, who is now working on a 566 consecutive NBA games played streak.

10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

One of the games against the hawks, i believe he scored in 12 seconds. I have the tape.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:smoke06::smoke06::smoke06::smoke06::smoke06:

Hell yeah brah!
    I'm down with [STRIKE]that stoner[/STRIKE] Josh Howard!

...not to mention that Joe could pay him in WEED so his salary wouldn't count against the cap!
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for basing your opinion off of actual events, not off of rehashed memories and emotionally-charged oversimplifications of reality. I feel better already.:MusicBigGrin:
  13. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I don't even think its that complicated. Lebron and Pierce are just a lot better than Prince/Iggy/Hedo. Not really about not matching up well, but just simply not being good enough.

Everybody knew CB would beat Rondo. Everybody knew that KG would beat Sheed. Rip and Ray are very evenly matched. We needed Tayshaun to absorb some of the assault that Pierce would unleash but Tayshaun never even looked close.

Maybe it would be different if we didn't have to deal with either Boston, Cleveland, or maybe both of them next year. Since we're going to need to, we going have to do a little better than Tayshaun.
    And to be honest I could care less about Tay's iron-man streak, especially when he could be getting rest
    , since its visibly obvious that the top-notch SF's exhaust him.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Team USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski called Prince a “glue guy” at last month’s news conference announcing a roster that includes Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Prince is “a champion,” Krzyzewski told the Detroit Free Press. “He’s probably played as many big games as any of the guys we selected. He’s a star at playing with stars, whether he scores four points or goes for 20.”

Prince, a 6-foot-9 forward, averaged 13.2 points per game this past season with the Pistons — the second-fewest for any Team USA member — and likely will be used at the Olympics as a defensive stopper rather than a scorer. But he might be the unsung hero.

“You have to have guys that are willing to sacrifice and do some other things, and I definitely feel that I am that guy,” he said.

But what did he tell the New York Times........
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, Pierce did score 41 points in the game 7 against the Cavs to advance to the ECF. Maybe he is just impossible to guard.

It does make sense sometimes to shape your team based on your primary competition. Our primary competition does seem to include some great 3's in Lebron and Pierce. But who can do a better job on those guys than Tay? Maybe Artest? That is sort of why I was in favor of getting Ron. He's the only great defender who is better than Tay both defensively and offensively. But outside of him, who could do a better job at a price that wouldn't break the team?

What about just sticking with Tay (since he's very good and reasonably priced) and trying to exploit a mismatch against those teams at another position that they are weak at? We didn't beat the Lakers by having a Center better than Shaq or a player better than Kobe.

If it's not possible to acquire such a player, then make the bench a weapon and punish them for ever resting their starters. I guess what I'm saying is that Tay is not as good as Lebron or Pierce, but he is the best value that we can get at that position.

By the way, KG had a field day against Sheed and Perkins shot 67% against Dyess/ Maxiell. We got our asses handed to us in the paint. There are a few holes in the dyke.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks TaShaun. I'm not saying that Prince doesn't have flaws, but dude is really being thrown under the bus around here. He's paid like the number 5 player, and performs in most categories like the number 3 player on the team.

Was it the Orlando series where he went some ridiculous FG%, hitting 18 of 19 shots (or something like that) over 2 games. Maybe the Celtics watched some tape and planned on shutting him down.

Who stops Paul Pierce or LeBron James? I can't really think of anyone that could do it over a 7 game series. Maybe one game, or two, they could slow those cats down. But not over 6 or 7 games. Tayshaun held Pierce for 2 games. Then the Truth got loose. What can you do?
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries

Not really linwood.

Tayshaun is only 1.5 million away from being the 2nd highest paid guy on the team. Currently he is 4th.

Elsewhere his salary would demand results in accordance with what some are expecting of him.

For example:

400,000 away from being the #2 guy in Jersey.

200,000 away from being the #3 guy in overpaying New York.

#3 guy in Toronto

500,000 away from being #2 in Chicago

600,000 away from being #1 in Indiana

#3 in Milwaukee

#3 in Charlotte

#3 in Miami

#3 in Orlando

#3 in Washington

450,000 away from #3 in Dallas

#3 in Houston

#1 in Memphis

363,000 away from #3 in New Orleans

400,000 shy of #3 in San Antonio

#2 in Minnesota

#3 in Portland

#1 in Seattle

#3 in Utah (roughly 1 million more than Okur)

#2 on the Clippers

#2 in Sacramento

We're hardly talking about the overachieving pauper playing for a pittance and giving us the world.

He makes more, just as much, or only slightly less than guys that are doing more than he really does for his team IMO.

At the very least I meet you halfway and concede your claim that he performs like the #3 guy on most teams. Unfortunately he is in fact getting #3 guy or better pay on average. So his output is also average, and nothing worth writing home about.

He's barely doing his job, and thats about it. I have a feeling fans around here would rather have an overachiever.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

My concern about Tay is that his self-development seems to be moving at a snail's pace since his first season. I expected him to be better at this point in his career. Maybe I expected too much.
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The question becomes does Tay defer by request of the coaching staff/teammates or on his own from fear of failure???
  20. MrKent

MrKent First Round Draft Pick

I think Prince was expected to be more consistent at this stage of his career. No, he shouldn't be able to completely stop Lebron and Pierce, but he shouldn't disappear either.

Against other teams, I think he was expected to develop into a player that had the kind of impact like Jamal Wilkes, Dennis Johnson or Marcus Johnson. Or at least a poor man's version. Instead, you don't even notice him half the time ... which isn't bad, bit a little more was expected.