Blockbuster Trade Will Happen After The Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jeez Cloud, nice research!

So, who is a better SF, who is paid less than Tay and is not under a rookie contract?
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Caron Butler. Gerald Wallace. Ron Artest.

Mehmet Okur, not that he's a small forward but I'd rather have him instead and be forced to deal with the problem.

That's just without looking, IMO there are sufficiently more. And don't forget guys signing contracts that start them at about $10 mil this year, which is right in Tayshaun's neighborhood.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can agree that Artest is better, especially for the price. But it is totally reasonable to discount his contract based on the associated risk.

Butler and Wallace are certainly better scorers. Not sure about their D. But still, I will accept that they may be better overall deals. We would save $200K with Butler and about $1M with Wallace.

So, the next question is, could we get those guys if we wanted to? How do we go about upgrading this position without downgrading somewhere else?
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Packaging Prince with picks or a young unproven (and unplayed) player. That would have changed our known dynamic and only touched our theoretical "potential" that may or may not ever be realized in the form of a player currently on our roster.
    We could have gotten Josh Smith for 500,000 more.

According to Joe the price was too high.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Wallace's D sucks, and Caron's while inconsistent can be good at times.
    We still don't exactly know what the price was.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I just can't believe that a guy that can put up his rebounds, blocks, and steals numbers from the three spot can really simultaneously "suck" on D.

:noidea:
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's hard to tell how good or bad his D is without watching him a lot, which I haven't done. When you are on a crappy team, you get no help defense and it really makes everyone look bad. Conversely, some of the Pistons probably look better on D because of the collective group effort.

Prince really has established a defensive reputation. I think some of it is deserved in that he bothers a lot of scorers with his length and his ability to back off shooters. On the other hand, he is known for some spectacular blocks, but he doesn't really block a lot of shots. He doesn't get many steals. In general, he doesn't gamble a lot, so he doesn't pick up many fouls.

On offense, he does some things that those other guys don't. We probably couldn't rely on Wallace to run the offense for us in a pinch (although I'm not sure how much we need that anyway with all of our guards).

It is interesting to think about.
  8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Gerald Wallace's D hardly sucks, he was in the race for DPOY like 2-3 years ago. Butlers is pretty good if hes healthy, which is basically like praying that the sun doesn't set today. However both are infinitely better offensive players.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Same can be said of Melo...people say his D sucks, yet his stats in those cats are all better than Tay's.
  10. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Wallace and Melo are night and day. There is a reason why they call him Crash; he plays all out and hustles on both ends of the floor. Hes the anti-Tayshaun Prince safe guy, for better or for worse (injury history).
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Pistons' Prince digs a chance to assume role as spectator
  12. max

max All-Star

You can make a good case for each Piston individually but not the team dynamic as a whole.

If we lose our 4th straight ECF this year we are going to have no one to blame but ourselfs.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I've watched him play alot. He's not anything special. CHA fans will tell you the same thing. In fact they were speculating that there might be potential problems b/w him and LB b/c of that. Sucks might be a strong word, but his defense is really not anything noteworthy.

This is a great point to bring up. Do you know how many other teams fan's think Chauncey Billups is a great defender? It's scary.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's a unique defender. His strength is also his weakness.
  15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He is a mediocre defender on a great defensive team.
  16. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

After the U.S. basketball team gets the gold, the rumors will begin flying all over the place.

My prediction; either McGrady or Melo will be wearing Pistons blue this upcoming season.

Somehow Joe D will throw in AJ or JMax in the deal sorry to say, but it's gonna happen.

No way these guys load up in the East and the Pistons get thrown out with the bath water.

Cleveland for all practical purposes have gotten better with the addition of Mo Williams and now their is speculation that Cleveland could get Zack.

We have to get better and Kwame Brown ain't just gettin er done.
  17. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

I agree,after olympics pistons must do a great trade,i don´t like Melo,but with the denver moves and rockets moves,Houston go to the championship and McGrady stay in texas to aid rockets this year.
    Denver has traded his center for nothing,has no team to try to win play offs,rebuild is most posible,in this context,we can trade to melo for CB(or Tay)and young player as armygirl said.
    I don´t like Carmelo attitude,i prefer a rebuid project this year trading CB,Sheed or Dyess for young people losing in the trades but Joe D wants to win another year,and Melo is the only all star player we can hire.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we should just lay low until 2020 when Lebron will start to fade. No point in rebuilding now, it is too soon.
  19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I would love to see one of those moves happen AG, but I just don`t think it will.

And you are right, the Cavs got better, the 76er`s got better, Boston are the world champs, hell the Bucks even got better.

We are the same ol, same ol, with Kwame.........

The rest of the east must be busting a gut laughing.

Unless our youngens play their arses off, and/or Curry pulls off a "Coach of the Year" season, we may not even be a top four seed in the playoffs.
  20. max

max All-Star

Amen Brother. Thats what I have been trying to tell everyone this summer.

The East is getting better. Time to roll or get rolled.