Blockbuster Trade Will Happen After The Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There are more than 2 outcomes. Making a bad trade and getting rolled for years to come is something to avoid.

What's the hurry at this point? Why not let Curry take the team for a little test drive so that we can see how Kwame and the young'ns fit it?
  2. max

max All-Star

Yes but Dumars built this team by taking chances.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Putting Curry at the helm with the youngsters, Kwame Brown, and the supposedly disposable vets isn't taking chances?
  4. max

max All-Star

If thats his idea of all these sweeping changes after watching what he called the "microcosicm of the past 3 years" during that 4th quarter from hell. Then its pretty friggen pathetic if you ask me.

But its not over with yet.
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

if we could do that without lowering the value of the core guys, but thats not possible. first it'll be test-drive, and the next thing you know we will be riding with our guys until they are worthless.

we'll be getting rid of everyone for pennies on the dollar if we wait much longer. even Kobe Bryant only sat one year. give the young'ns the wheel.

i bet the rest of the NBA is laughing at that statement, to be honest.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Exactly.

And this whole East is so much better is really not true. The only team that got significantly better was Philly.

ORL - Has anyone been watching DH play in the Olympics? He's still so raw it's ridiculous.

CLE - got MW, and lost Smith and potentially West. Unless JJ Hickson is really good, expect to see the Wallace/AV combo which they struggle tremendously with.

WAS - has shown to be better w/o Arenas

The only team ahead of us is BOS, and even that's negotiable now that they've lost Posey.

There's enough talented youth that we can afford to keep the core if there isn't a better move to be made.

Who knows, maybe the microcosm's name was Flip Saunders in Joe's mind.
  7. The Palace Artest

Boston still isn't better than us? Cleveland still isn't better build for the playoffs? How many years are we going to put up with just being right there, hoping for the stars to align in the right time? That plan hasn't worked in 3 years.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but this is the only way i can get this point across. We are only going as far as our starters take us.
  8. coynejeremy

She just said Boston is ahead of us. I agree that Cleveland MIGHT be better. I think it's funny how much we tend to overvalue other teams' moves and underrate our own. Probably fans of every team are like that, though.
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Or those that play "starters minutes". It's not necessarily who starts the game but who finishes. I think that is the philosophy that Curry is bringing with him that will change the whole dynamic of this team.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I seem to remember that we had an awesome record when Darko finished games.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is pretty safe to say that CLE is better than the Pistons. DET made the ECF via the luck of the draw. A series against CLE would have turned out much like the one against BOS did.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Yet it would have seemed so much worse for me when Posey stole the ball from Tayshaun in your scenario.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Huh? (It won't let me post just huh)
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This plan hasn't worked for 3 years with soft playoff choker Flip Saunders at the helm. I think i value getting rid of him way more than alot of people, and base my rankings on a team where 1/ the players playing the best will play 2/ different players will be able to finish the game 3/the team plays defense 4/ the team is consistent 5/etc.

With the bench getting put on ice in the PO's (and specific players during the reg season), it's now almost like we have a whole new team to play. The coach makes a huge difference. I think the LB/Flip stark contrast proves that. I'm not proclaiming Curry to be the next LB, but things he has talked about focusing on are the things that help you succeed in the PO's and the players (Sheed specifically) respect him so he's already about a 1000 steps ahead of Flip.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

A Joe D interview about the off-season inactivity; some good quotes; the whole thing is a really great read . . .

PISTONS: Joe Dumars Q&A - Part I

Part 1

Keith Langlois: Let’s start with this, because I’m sure you haven’t been able to get a haircut or fill up your tank this summer without someone asking you when the trade’s coming or what’s going on, so where are we with that? Are you at all disappointed or frustrated that nothing has happened when you went into the summer pretty emphatically saying you wanted to get something done?
    . KL: We’re a little more than a month out from when training camp will open. I know the Rip Hamilton-Jerry Stackhouse trade happened late, but are we getting kind of close to the window closing and you say we’re going to training camp with who we’ve got or are we already at that point?

KL:Michael Curry said about a week after he was hired that it was your call on the roster, but he would be perfectly happy if it came back just the way it was. He was kind of looking forward to working with those guys. Has the fact he said that and the fact you guys are of like mind and have had a whole summer to talk about it, has he influenced you at all to maybe not be so anxious to trade as you seemed to be in June?

KL: I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I think it bears asking anyway. You’ve got to be really tough to make it to this level of basketball and to compete in six straight Eastern Conference finals, so I think you’re comfortable with the psyche of your team, but are you at all concerned that because you basically told these guys that we’ve gone to war with you the last three or four times and now haven’t gotten it done and I want to change the mix, that you’ve planted the seed with them that maybe he doesn’t think we’re good enough to get it done?

KL: What’s been the tenor of the conversations you have had with guys like Chauncey and Rip? Have they done any lobbying to stay?

KL: What can those guys tell you, or beyond words even, what can they do to convince you that that won’t be an issue going forward?

16. The Palace Artest

that reads as closure to me.

blah. no one else has done what we've done in the ECF, blah. and he gave that same complacency piece last year.

i'm as disappointed as ever but it's time for me to realize that we don't have that wheeling dealer we had when the Pistons were truly under the radar.
  17. coynejeremy

Thanks for the post, lpgrl. Thank goodness Joe isn't jumping the gun.
  18. hanzosword

hanzosword Second Round Draft Pick

i don't know if houston will trade mcgrady for a PG now that artest there...
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

If it's all Flip's blame, then we should easily make the finals this year. All players should play better with Flip out of the way. Attitude change should result in more victories and tangible steps towards playoff success. I just don't think it's as simple as this. I wish it was though.
    I like a winner as much as anybody.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think it's that simple either, but if we lose i expect us to lose while playing defense, playing (i hate to use the word) the "right" way and laying it all out on the floor. And i can't find fault in that just like i couldn't find fault in losing in 2005.

We may not be clearly better than everybody else, but at least this time we'll have a real shot in the PO's instead of being handicapped by a coach who's scared of taking risks, the players don't respect, and who generally hasn't shown the ability to coach when it matters most; in fact he's shown the propensity to fail repeatedly.