Blockbuster Trade Will Happen After The Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I felt we were the second best team in the east going into the playoffs. That's where we finished. [STRIKE]So I was satisfied with our finish[/STRIKE]. [STRIKE]So I figured Flip would be retained[/STRIKE]. But when we got to Boston in the playoffs, I thought we were ready to win. My take is that the players quit on the coach after 10 wins, just like they did 3 seasons in a row.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought you liked Flip?

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Why did they choose that point to quit? They seemed to be playing hard in G5 of the ECF when they were going for win 11. They were poorly led, (see qtr 2 and that's an understatement) but played hard if not stupidly.

To a post you made a while back, how did Flip hold the team together the last few years?

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is a perfect characterization.

5. Nemo

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

I really do like Flip.

6. Nemo

Game 5, Series tied 2 games each. Team has enough wins. Now it's time to plan the Dump Flip Strategy. Players look stupid in game 5. Players quit in game 6, 4th quarter. Mission accomplished.

Players played well during the regular season to insure good salaries maintained and raises paid.

Players stop at win #10 each playoffs to plan Flip's goodbye.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

But that's the players doing stuff (Hatching a 3 year plan to get rid of Flip?). To refresh, you said something along the line of, 'this is the year we figure out Joe held on to the core for 1 year too long and that Flip had held them together all this time'. I am trying to figure out what you think he did to galvanize them? He was a strong leader, creative, that sort of thing. I say this not to attack or belittle you, but because I can't really think of one thing he brought to the table.

I guess I do think the players quit to an extent, but that was from a realization that Flip couldn't help them and not as a result of a character flaw(s) that they all(?) have.

8. Nemo

I think the players were glad to get rid of LB to an extent. They wanted to prove that they could do it without Larry. In walks Flip. His contribution is more psychological than tactical at first. His offensive sets were very good, but the team seemed to turn on him. I think this happens more and more with the modern athlete. The closeness of the players suggest many were in on wanting him out. Chuck Daly stated that Flip was a good coach and was doing the best he could with what he had. I think his lack of strong-arming his players is a good answer for veterans during the regular season, but the players have to bring it during the playoffs. I hope this helps...:)

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you either need a brown style coach... or a hard nosed player leader aka isiah/beer during the bad boys era. we never really had that, Ben was close but not enough... and when he left, there was nothing in player or coach to be that task master or force that pushed the team.

10. Nemo

Well stated...thanks:)

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Wouldn't that be a prime reason to get rid of Flip? (Since it's it's his job to lead), and if you have weak internal leadership (which i'm not saying we do), then you would need an external leadership force?

You can't trade every player, and nor should you for a coach that's proved he can't lead/get it done, and a group that's proven when someone pushes them they respond (and have gotten it done)
    I'm not opposed to conspiracy theories, but that's too much of a stretch for me. The players looked crushed, angry, frustrated, and who's to say they wouldn't have been traded before Flip was fired? I doubt they're all such good actors.

edited to add;

You know the off season is boring when this is all we have to talks about LOL

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Someone made a good point today over on Det News saying that in Flip's time here he never had a player he just played because he was his type of guy, a guy who would show Flip's way via example. In his 3 years Flip could never make it his.

13. Nemo

I was just so upset at the continued playoff miss that I sometimes let my emotions speak. It's not that I wasn't thinking, but Flip really gets ripped around here. It's hard to put all of this on the coach. Sometimes I just see too much negativity towards Flip and I just want the players to get their share of the blame. I have much less knowledge about basketball than you. I enjoy the game but don't see all of the nuiances that many here can spot. It just seemed to me that they quit on the coach. As much it was my gut reaction to watching them play as knowing all the ins and outs of the game.

14. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

At least now we have motivational firepower against Boston and Cleveland. Just hope we don't meet Orlando, 'cause we've done well against them the past two seasons in the playoffs.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't think they quit on him...I don't think they ever played for him. Flip was more of a figurehead coach and the guys pretty much did what they wanted. With the possible exception of CB, I don't think any of the core respected Flip from the very beginning. JMHO

16. Nemo

Yea, Chauncey's the one who gushed over the new offense, and the new found freedom he'd get. Just curious...If he was not liked so much by the players, I wonder why Joe liked him so much ??? What did Joe see in him ???

17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just let us fans have our voodoo idol to stick pins in, now that he's gone. It's healthier than doing it to the players that are still here...

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You and me both. We're just on opposite sides of what we think went wrong.

I truly don't think it had anything to do with Joe and alot more to do w/ Bill D, money, the fact that he had to pay both RC and LB, and maybe that it would be a bad PR for the organization that they basically had a revolving door going. Flip was just caught in all that; otherwise he would've been gone a long time ago.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I think if it hadn't been for the fact that the door had revolved so much in the Dumars era that flip would be gone after the 1st season. As long as Flip has been a coach he wasn't going to change who he was after the first year of playoffs.... we knew what we had and it wasn't going to get the job done. But if we had fired him after the regular season he gave the NBA we would have been ripped by everything and everybody.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Flip was the coaching equivalent of Nazr Mohammed, a panic move.