BLOWING OFF DETROIT

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Jul 9, 2010.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

WHAT Detroit Sports athlete do u most reville for leaving (or quitting on- ) or hurt you most when they were traded from our lovely city/area for greener pastures?? (kinda like what me and LA Dre did for leaving our beloved city for NC and LA?:pound:)

I have a list but I believe the questionaire should concede to the respondents, so I will reveal ONE for the Oldskool guys:

I remember when Willie Horton ended up in Seattle. Ugh!

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Barry Sanders was a quitter.

Grant Hill left for greener pastures. Even Ben Wallace left for more dough.

3. max

max All-Star

I would say Hill because it was sort of like this without the tv show. He has lead the team in points, assists and rebounds.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Sergei Fedorov for some reason is the ex Detroiter I rooted the most against when he left.

Any Lion that left I understood because well they are the lions lol.

I can't even remember how he left.... I just remember rooting against him.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As HQ indicated, I escaped Detroit back in 1980, but 30 years later my loyalty still is in Motown Sports even though I have lived here in Cali longer...with that being said Barry Sanders quitting left a pit in my stomach and I wasn't to happy when G Hill or Federov left for what they thought were greening pastures.

Going real old school, I recall when my childhood hero Dave Bing ~left the Pistons for the Washington Bullets back in 1975 as that was also a real downer for me too...

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't have issue with players who leave DET. They don't owe me anything for being a fan. It's not often that anyone questions ownership for dumping players. There's no reason I should be all up in arms at a player's decision to leave and play elsewhere.

I know people get attached to their favs, but if it's that important to me, I'll just follow said player on his new team.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How is the West Bloomfield "Barry Sander's Couch" doing? :MusicBigGrin:

8. max

max All-Star

True. I think its all in how its done. There have been some slap in the face trades just like there has been some slap in the face FA moves. Just show some respect I think is all anyone asks for in ending a business relationship of any kind.

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Barry Sanders did it for me, it made me ill. Close second, Dave Bing and Willie Horton (I had a crush on him big time).

As for as the Lebron show. It is his right to look for a new job and obtain that new job if it fits the criteria for what is looking to accomplish.

However, in real life, we always give our boss at least a two week notice that we are leaving, sometimes we even give them a heads up that we are unhappy with the direction, as a result we are choosing to look for something else.

To call a circus show to make an announcement that you are leaving is just sick, self-serving and unprofessional on Le'freak's part.

Playing for your hometown doesn't happen to often in any sport. Then to announce on National TV what you already knew and realizing that you are gonna break the hearts of many. Probably a lot of these folks don't have jobs and the economic climate of Cleveland is devastating. I just don't get it at all.

If you are gonna go, at least go out with dignity and a little style.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Drew Henson leaving U of M football to play baseball for the Yankees. How'd that work out for ya Drew baby...That giant turd Stienbrenner was from Ohio.

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, but how did you feel when Larry Brown cheated on you? :stirthepot:

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound:

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's the real issue. It's not the leaving that is wrong, it's the "all about me" spectacle that he called to dump his home town.

It's like dumping your girlfriend with the webcam on so that all your friends can watch.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Kirk Kibson was a Tiger mistake.
    Allan Houston didn't even say goodbye.
    -
    Amir, Chaunc, Darko, B.Cardinal, Spellcheck all cut a little deep.
    Hate, et. all.

15. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

I definitely don't hate any of the guys that were traded away - that's not even their decision. Chauncey and Afflalo are a great reason to watch the Nuggets now...

I miss Granderson :(

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Look at the Low acting like he's never spent time reading this forum.

Bro....that's ALL we do.

17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'd have to say Hill just because I didn't expect it. Joe was fresh off of battling with him every day on the court. They supposedly had a relationship, one in which Joe was going to give Grant whatever he wanted to stay.

Instead we got some homage in the paper while Joe got a Fedex envelope with a Manhattans tape inside to pop into his tape player so he could hear "Kiss and say Goodbye" while he read the paper in his office.

18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if Detroit has ever experienced the feeling of complete betrayal that Cleveland fans felt with the Lebron Decision. Sanders leaving was rough, but not really a betrayal because he just didn't want to play anymore. Probably Nick Saban going to LSU, I suppose.

I think the closest thing I could imagine to Lebron is if Izzo or Dumars left, honestly.

And I have to agree with TL - sports players owe us nothing. We fans are loyal to the team, not the players, and only root for the players because they're on the team. For all those fans crying about loyalty, what about guys like Hamilton and Prince who have become what they are here and dedicated themselves to the franchise, only to have fans routinely discuss them in trade speculation and bemoan them for their lack of greatness. And what about people that move to a new town or go to college and become fans of the teams of that town or college, turning their backs on their former loves? Lack of loyalty goes both ways and its hypocritical to pretend that it doesn't.

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

This guy didn't blow off Detroit, he was traded. Actually, I don't miss this guy, but I met him the other day and didn't want to start a new thread: Jerome "Junk Yard Dog" Williams.

Yeah, I met him Vegas a few days ago. He runs a non-profit and one of my students works for him as an intern. Really nice guy. I talked to him for about an hour. Got his degree from Georgetown and has a great understanding of what ex-NBA players can do with their name after they finish their careers.

Since Mahorn gave him his nickname, I joked with him and said, "I hope you're giving Rick a little money on the side." He laughed and said the two text all the time.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great story gazoo, thanks for sharing.