1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Bonzi Wells

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by justise32, May 5, 2006.

1. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Now I checked the threads for the past month and I didn't see this questions, so please, don't yell at me if this is a repeat question. I'm a newbie.:)

Didn't Bonzi use to play for the Pistons? If so, what happened/why did we trade him? What's the scoop on him? How much money is he worth/or asking for?

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Bonzi was drafted by Detroit, but never played here. They traded him to Portland for another first-rounder who eventually got traded away for Christian Laettner. I don't recall hearing anything but ordinary business reasons for the trade. Maybe the team doubted a 6' 5" forward would be more than a role player. Ever since, Bonzi has lit us up.

He's got a pretty bad reputation and there are folks back in Indiana who've said that Bonzi doesn't get along real well with white people. But he doesn't shy away from dirty work. Loves to post up and pound the glass. Hot headed and not the most consistent player, though. Kind of a Latrell Sprewell type who is respected for his skills and hard work, but someone you don't want to give a big long-term deal.

If I was a GM, I'd look at him and Tim Thomas as guys trying to turn a good two-week playoff run into multi-year contracts. No deal.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Pardon my manners. Welcome to the forum!

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well the whole piston team is black basically except for Delfino now, and he's European.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Actually, Delfino is Argentinean. And then there are coaches. It might not be the reason, but Bonzi hasn't had the best relations with his coaches. But to be fair, he might also have given Mo Cheeks a bad time. I stopped paying attention to all the Trailblazer controversies long ago.

6. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Did he play with Sheed at Portland?
    So, Bonzi will be a free agent this summer? There are quite a few players on the market this summer. It's going to be interesting to see where these players end up.
    They (the NBA world) wouldn't want me be a GM. I'll be signing guys to a one- or two-year contract. I couldn't do these long-multi-year contracts. What happens if the player decides he doesn't want to produce next year or the following year (like a lot of NBA players)? What happens if the player gets injured and don't get healthy again (like a few other players). We'll be stuck-like-Chuck.

And, LanierFan, thanks for the welcome.:)

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yes, Bonzi's first six seasons in the NBA were in Portland, and Sheed was his teammate for the first 5 1/2 of those years, until Sheed was traded to the Pistons.

I didn't know that Bonzi's real name is "[SIZE=-1]Gawen DeAngelo." Gawen? Sounds Welsh or something...weird name for a brother. :)[/SIZE]

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

back then, he played extremely well in the Summer League and I got very angry that he actually never played in a Pistons Uniform- maybe it was because he'd have had to ride the bench back then since there where Joe D and Hill in front of him?