Boston at Detroit... January 16th

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by mercury, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Finally got a Delfino coming out party!:nod: I'll really get excited if he can do this consistently. Looks like Flip has found a combo that might work. I just loved the way our guys put the petal to the metal...led by Sheed and Delfino. Great contribution from Evans as well. Now if Arroyo can just hit a half-way contested layup....:mad:

Monster rebounds from Ben, great D from Rip, and late game heroics from Tay sealed the deal. Also GREAT job by Chauncy finding the open man.:nod: However, he can kill those dam-near half court 3pt shot attempts!:doh:

On the Boston side of the ball, I liked what I saw from K. Perkins. He looks to be developing nicely (future FA target?). Also thought M. Blount did a decent job. Say....he's on the market ain't he? Ainge DID say they want to go with younsters didn't he? I really like Ainge....he makes a great trading partner!:eyebrows:
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Delfino's two handed block

Thats twice he has done that this season. The first time resulted in a bogus superstar call against Delfino. (Some guy named Labron.) Delfino is really showing he can play D. Lets list the list. Wade. Labron. Pierce. Ginobili. I am sure I am missing one. Basically, we got our backup small forward. And no matter if you like Evans or not, I say we got our backup shooting guard right here too. As well as he guarded Wade, not to mention Ginobili, you bet he can play shooting guard.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: Delfino's two handed block

[​IMG]
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Delfino defense was eye-opening. Sheed's recent performances makes you wonder why he hasn't been more of a go-to guy with the Pistons. Micro, I thought he had lost some of it from Portland days. I saw a lot of him vs. the Lakers back then. But he still has the whole package plus his defense is better. He must be one of the top 5 power forwards in the league--don't know exactly where.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Congradulations for Delfino coming up big today... hopefully this is a confidence builder for him... he really can shoot the outside shot... hopefully he'll get better at finishing inside and defending (much better today).

More importantly I think Sheed is starting to understand that he needs to be a primary scorer down low... it must be nice to have the size and skills to finish when ever you want to.
    The inside/out game we've been lacking may have finally arrived.... DON'T STOP FEEDING THE SHEED!
  6. max

max All-Star

I don't know guys. Sheeds lack of offense has had me scratching my head ever since we got him. I don't think he has lost anything and actually is probably better than he was in Portland given his experience.

We have one of the best low post scorers in the league and more often than not fail to utilize him. No reason Sheed could not be averaging 20 ppg. And thats not being selfish or a non team player its simply using your best option.

At least we are not starting the 1st quarter with Ben Wallace taking 90% of the post shots anymore.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Realistically, we should be able to post Sheed at-will against anyone. Why it's not done, especially in scoring droughts, I don't know :confused:

With Sheed's 3 potential, he is one of the hardest guards in the league.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

he did good down low yesterday, and then at the end of the quarter he shot 3's.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Just further proof that the phrase, "inside-outside" still carries weight. and that the order of operations is an important factor in that.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

maurice evans did good against charlotte, delfino was the bench star against boston, who do you think will be the star against the hawks?...how about darko.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sorry himat...what I meant to say is "...why it's not done more...". Yesterday showed how strong Sheed's game is when he feels the need to be Sheed.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i don't really understand it either. the only thing i could make out of it is that he might want to save energy to gaurd the lowpost, and not lose energy on offense, but i don't think thats it.:noidea:
  13. max

max All-Star

Concerning Sheed thats just the way its been. He can score 23 at ease and the next game maybe only takes 6 shots.

It was kind of strange how Evans still ended up playing more mins that Delfino with how good Delfino was playing.
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

maurica and delfino played great defense and, but delfin had some O too. i think it was because evans got in earlier.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game review

I particularly looked at Evans defense. What I find is that he more often was guarding Greene vs. Ricky Davis. Thats right, Evans was put on their absolute lowest scoring threat. When Evans did guard Davis, Davis continually lost Evans, but either got stopped from doing damage by another Piston, chose not to shoot, or someone missing free throws. Evans did manage to bother a shot by Davis once. Thats about it for Evans good defensive game. And no, he really could not stay with Greene either.

Laugh of the day. I saw someone post a trade involving sending Evans to Memphis and us getting Battier. This poster suggested Evans could replace Battier as a defensive minded small forward. That poster clearly is just ignoring completely the fact that the experiment of using Evans at small forward is long over. No height at all for the job. Yes, Evans played small forward a bit for us a couple of games back, but that was against an underhanded team forced to play 4 guards.

That drive by Delfino was better than it first appeared. That should have been two points for us. Dyess was right there to put the ball back in, but got hip checked out of the play, no call. I don't even think that was a shot at all. (The more I look at it, the more I see Delfino never really shot the ball at all, just flipped it off the glass toward Evans.) Now the next question is why did Delfino not try a little harder to just put that shot in himself? There was a lot of pressure against that shot.

Anyone notice that after Delfino hit that shot to put us up 11, neither side was scoring any for the next several minutes? Boston was going inside to their bigs for the most part, and Dyess for one was shutting them down. Now, I say Boston was going into their bigs, but that was not really what they wanted. They wanted to get the ball to Pierce a few times, but Delfino was keeping himself draped all over Pierce, playing ball denial defense. Us, we probably should have scored a couple of times save some non-calls by the officials. (That Delfino play and the Sheed triple try where he gets hit on the arm.) Anyway, that triple of Delfino's ended up being pretty big.

That 18 point run by Sheed took place mostly in the last few minutes of the quarter, much of it with Delfino and Dyess in with the starters. Sheed's last two triples were in the last 40 seconds of the quarter for instance. For the game, the only runs going on for us were with Delfino in the game.
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: game review

Lee, no offense, but your posts are usually good for a "laugh of the day" everyday. I have never seen someone with so much bias towards one player, and away from another. You try to twist every single missed shot by Delfino into something good. For example...

So it's Mo's fault that he didn't tip in that bad shot that Delfino missed? That is at best laughable, and at worst sad.

And you never give Evans props when he plays well. Everything is always, "well, he had a scrub on him", or "it was wide open, so he had to hit it", or "His opponent wasn't looking to shoot", and so forth. Yet you don't knock Delfino for pulling up and taking 3 off-balance fadeaways and a three pointer 5 feet behind the line with a man in his face.

I am not biased between the two. I may like Delfino more than Evans personally, but they both have their faults. Delfino is very streaky with his jumpshot, and still takes way too many bad shots. I like him being aggressive, but I'd rather he take it to the hole. Evans almost never takes bad shots. He's usually always wide open. But he isn't the best defender, and he can't handle the ball. I can see the positives for both.

As for your "laugh of the day". That's me you're trying to cheapshot without presenting the facts. First, I never said "Evans could replace Battier as a defensive minded small forward". I said "Evans could help fill Battier's void". Do you see the words replace, defensive minded, or small forward there? No. And you also don't mention that we're also giving them Arroyo (they are desperately looking for a PG with Damon out) and a pick in the deal as well. Evans would just be included to help fill a swingman spot. As much as you hate him, he is solid. Plenty of teams would love to have him. On top of that, I followed it up by saying the deal was a strech. So take your insults elsewhere.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed. I believe lee356 owes you an apology.

FP22, he's normally much better behaved on this board, but he copied his own post from another forum back here, and neglected to proof read and adjust it for a more civil and intelligent audience.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are correct, I did not mean to post that here when I wrote it

Sorry.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

One, Dyess got hip checked out of the play, and the refs missed the call, or Dyess would have been right there to put that shot /pass back in. (Nothing to do with Evans.)

Two. Evans has proved to be no swingman. Keep watching. Flip was using Evans at small forward some earlier in the year, but has quit doing that. Evans no way has the height to play small forward. So no, Evans is in no way going to replace Battier, who plays small forward for Memphis. (Yes, he can play a bit of shooting guard, but they don't use him for that.)

I was high on Evans from what I heard of him. And I really like the 3's he was hitting. But, game after game, I like him less cause he ain't playing defense. Guess what, if Delfino was playing bad defense, I would not be so high on him either. Defense first and formost is what I expect from a Piston.