Boston Celtics Jan. 30th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We did have a lot of great defensive possessions this game. And the effort level was playoff caliber.

The biggest difference is just that they stole our schtick. Their D is suffocating. I can respect that.

I was pretty disappointed when we didn't respond better to the Perkins flagrant. Flagrant 2 and we only came out of that with 1 point net. Then got smoked on the next 4-5 possessions. Besides Max, I don't think our guys took it personally enough. That was a disrespectful foul.

One other thing that I couldn't help thinking during the game watching Stuck on a couple different defensive stands- he has the tools to be a spectacular defender... like Jason Kidd-esque. He's tall, strong, quick, and has a workman-like attitude. Why can't he be a top 3 defensive PG in 3 years?
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Now this is just weird. This article was from after tonight's game.

Johnson will remain Pistons starter, Brown to sit | detnews.com | The Detroit News

So, it sounds like MC pulled AJ because he thought we needed to spread the floor more to loosen up Boston's defense. But 2 at ALL times? That would mean Sheed + Dyess for 48 minutes, would it not? The only other option would be Tay at the PF spot guarding KG?

MC's comment "this is a fine time to increase Dyess's minutes and still allow him to be fresh down the stretch"??? There are almost 40 games left. How is he going to be fresh after 40 games of heavy minutes?

Also, MC's comment "we don't play well enough to wait for the 2nd and 4th quarters for Dyess"??? The 1st and 3rd quarters are our best 2 quarters this season and the 2nd and 4th have been horrendous... like almost last in the league. What stats is this guy looking at?

Oy.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He's clueless
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just don't know why he uses the opportunity after a loss to our biggest rival to announce that a player that didn't even play in the game will not start for the rest of the year.

On top of that, the "Kwame Experiment" happened to be used for our greatest achievements this season: beating the Lakers, Cavs, Spurs, and Nuggets.

Not many other quality wins besides those games.

He's officially the whipping boy.
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

for whatever reason, this game encouraged me for NEXT season. Without the minutes crunch at guard, a possible Curry demotion/firing, and pending any future big man acquisitions, I am kind of excited.

this year though? Hell no. All three guards are hurt by the position they are put in. AI in with other scorers? Ugly. I can't stress how much the ball movement improved when Rip came in for AI. His (AI) ideal position is the position that Rip's in right now, but politics/ballslessness won't allow the correct move to happen... Stuckey's touches are decreased, and it seems like he tries to hold off attacking until a certian point in the half... nobody's trying to call him the next GREAT ONE, but I love what he brings for us: a budding scorer with a vastly improving jumpshot and improving defense.

And look Curry... if you're not gonna play Amir with starters minutes, then don't play him at all. I'm getting sick of the Amir debate. I've been on both sides of it multiple times...

I know it had to happen eventually, but that really hurts to look at.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Curry is right. The pistons couldn't score early against Boston. Post Billips we do not have a three ball threat. So he put Dice in early. Trouble is that Dice's shot has been way off...The good teams like Boston pack the lane. At some point, you have to hit shots in the NBA to loosen a defense. The Pistons didn't hit enough shots...
  7. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

and one more note:

WHY WONT THIS TEAM FIGHT BACK? We only have Maxiell and Rip (who frankly, at 117 pounds, doesn't count) who will do so. Tayshaun and Rasheed are as soft as charmin. Especially Rasheed, who saw KG try to shove Max right in front of his nose. But because it was his BFFFF Garnett, its all cool. When Shaq destroyed Stuckey and (last year) Amir, nothing... nobody stands up for their teammates on this team.

It might not matter in the stat sheet or in the standing, but I would love to see that camraderie again. this team is mortifingly disjointed and disconnected.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed did give KG a light push. Then they resumed their prior conversation.

I'm not sure if MC's plan to use big men shooters is the greatest idea as a way to solve Boston. Sheed and Dyess took 3 shots in the paint and 21 jump shots in 76 minutes. In the paint, 2-3, 67%. Out of the paint, 4 for 21, 19%.

Max and Amir took 5 shots in the paint in only 19 minutes. 3-5, 60%.

So, overall, our bigs were .625 in the paint and they drew 7 FT's. Out of the paint, they were shooting the same % that one of us would if we were punting the ball toward the hoop.

Tired leg syndrome maybe? The same problem Tay has when he's trying to stop Pierce? It could really be a factor.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

See what I mean? This jackassed, disingenuous idea of benching someone WHO'S ALREADY BENCHED is the single stupidest coaching move of all time. What the hell is he going to do next? Promote Tay to the starting 3 spot?

Motown Pride was right. Joe crap canned this season from day one by hiring They Good to coach this team.

I thought a coach who valued a return to defense and PIP would help us regain our strength. Talk is cheap and this coach should be getting paid in pesos. This middle eastern spice has done exactly the opposite without even providing the fools gold of looking good during the regular season. Joe could have hired a knowledgeable coach. He could have hired a coach who at least has shown in some capacity that he has a clue how to coach. But, no...they want a coach who won't talk back. They wanted a clay coach they could mold...a Gumby per se.

I recommend that going forward this be referred to as the "Knock Knock" year, because it's been exactly that.....a joke.

This team has become a parody of itself and the team Doc Rivers falls over himself to compliment is A) non-existent and B) a ghost from his basketball history of commentating.

This team has no will, no determination, no fight, no balls, no direction, no leadership, and no chance. I can understand being not talented enough, I can understand playing your guts out and coming up short. This team suffers from neither. If they aren't careful they are toying with becoming the Barry Sanders' Lions of the NBA; just good enough to look competitive, but in no danger of winning anything meaningful.

I pray we get the most incredible draft pick/FA signing/trade deal ever at some point in the next year or so, or we're going back to the Teal Era in a 1st class cabin with pre-flight boarding.
  10. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Was it me or did Rip play some point guard while AI and Stuckey were on court? There is no reason for Prince or Rip to be bringing the ball up while Stuckey or AI are in the game.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Prince should NEVER run the point, but yet Curry has had him run it fairly often this year... and they very rarely come away with good shots out of those possessions.

I know the "Kwame experiment" is apparently over, but I'm more than ready for the "Curry experiment" to be over.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't sleep either Low? We are still up late and on the same frustrated page...This is the third time in the last 20 mins I have tried to write this and the two prior times my words disappeared as if Joe had the hex over my lapto trying to dispute the info I was about spew out..

Like Old HQ. I paid $140 for League Pass too, and would like a refund not from DirectTv, but from the Pistons.....

MC:frusty: is starting to make Michigan's Rich Rodriguez look good with his methods of madness, even stopping a streak of 26 straight winning months dating back to the championship season. A 6-9 record due to not knowing who to start, who to sit, or when to play 'em.

The dude had not started since Jan 10th, and had not played since last Sunday's loss to the Rockets.

Curry does not know what to say before a game, after and certainly not during an in game interview. You have to wonder what is being said in the locker room at halftime. He pretty much played 7 guys tonight and 5 mins of AJ:confused:.. No Kwame to body up to Perkins and KG, and no Alflollo to provide the D and maybe a key 3 pointer. (we were 1-10?)

As everyone stated, tonights game was competitive, not the blowout that was expected, but in the end they folded just like most of figured they would in the end. We all figure that this Pistons team would not beat the Celtics in a 7 game series, but we are on the verge of getting swept in the regular season by the C's.

Where is our pride? This is the second game this season that one of our players has been slammed to the floor, (remember Shaq vs Stuc) and the opposing teams' player was thrown out and they still beat us....

I know it would be unpopular to fire the coach this late in the season, but if we roll into the all star break at .500, I would say cut him loose:ohwell:
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Man, I hope not. I'll be in Boston on March 1st for the final game against the Celtics. :ohwell:

Who would become the interim head coach if he gets canned? Do you think Joe would come down and coach?
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well he couldn't do any worse than Curry at this point and betcha they listen to Joe...
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I really think there aren't 3 guards that fit together any worse than Rodney, Rip, and Iverson. Each of them had OK games tonight individually, but I really think that the 24 minutes of game time the Pistons waste per game waiting for Iverson and Rip to come off screens is what kills this offense.

If the offense were more about Stuckey and Iverson attacking off pick and rolls early in the clock, we'd have a much better offensive team. I lost count trying to track how many times I saw Rodney dribble up, wait for AI/Rip to come around screens, pass to them, just to end up with AI/Rip in the same exact position Rodney was in 10 seconds prior. Just way too much clock killing for the sake of clock killing.

On top of that, we have no lights-out perimeter shooters for our penetrating guards to kick too, and with Dice/Sheed out there, there aren't any bigs to dish off to in the paint.

Joe's got a lot of work to do the next couple years.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Curry sure does not seem to listen to Curry much.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I was thinking the same thing last night. Stuckey got slammed to the floor by Shaq and the rest of the Pistons just stood around looking at him crumpled on the floor. The same thing happened last night with Max. Atleast Max stood up for himself but what about the rest of the Pistons? It would have been nice to see the other guy's on the floor get in Shaq and Perkins face and let them know that crap is not going to be tollerated. No one huddled the team together and said these guy's are trying to punk us lets kick their butts or nothing. Instead we just folded and gave up a 10-2 run.

As far as Curry goes he is clearly in over his head.
  18. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Although it was a loss it was encouraging to actually see them put up a fight. We played with heart and our D was actually pretty damn good. Max played like a man. It's nice to see someone actually play with fire and not take any crap. The NBA needs more of this. Stuckey showed he can play big against tough opponents. AI played like AI even with his back hurting. Amir played 5 minutes..I'm not sure why he seemed to be playing fine and was actually open alot, but did not get the ball. I thought I saw Curry chewing him out for leaving KG open, but did anyone notice KG was open on EVERY 15-20ft jumper he took? No matter who was guarding him, so I'm not sure why Curry benched him. Our front court killed us on this one. Dyess, Sheed, Tay all shot horribly.

Curry needs to work on his offensive scheme, that garbage he rolled out tonight will not beat any teams come playoff time. Dyess playing basically the whole second half won't work either. That article about increasing Dyess' minutes is a joke. Please don't kill the guy before playoff time.

Finally, what is with this article with Curry saying the Kwame Brown experiment is over? Really it's over? I think we could have figured that since the dude has been benched in 9 of the last 10 games. Is it just me or is this year full of stupid quotes from Curry about who is starting, who is coming off the bench, how many minutes each player is playing. Who cares man? What other team in the league makes this much fuss about who plays what minutes, who comes in what quarter? I can't think of any. Just play the damn game.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tay's turn now in grieving over not being selected to the All Star game. Instead of proving all the coaches wrong for not picking him, he sucks more. He thought he would be a better choice over Rashard Lewis.

Hate it when Tay pump fake shooting when the closes defender is about 5 feet away. Just shoot it, Tay. Just Shoot The GOD DAMN BALL! You were a better shooter when you shoot right away instead of pump fake. Tay actually shoot better standing still instead of that pump fake over the summer (which he develope at the olympics).

Note to MC:-
    Practice for the rest of the season: Shooting drills for our bigs if they refuse to get inside the paint and FT shooting drills for the entire squad.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The thing about Tay's pump fake is, it never, ever draws a foul. It's more like a nervous twitch than a scoring move.

Sorta like, dum-dee-dum I haven't done anything with the ball in 5 seconds, better buy some more time *PUMP FAKE*, we good.