Home Boston Celtics Sunday Jan 20 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. max

max All-Star

I am starting to think we should dump all 3 and set out to find a real PG who can actually run the team. I would be open to keeping Bynum as a backup though. I dont know about Knight - I am just not seeing it. And all I can say about Stuckey is he only has this year and next left on his contract. I don't know if the guy has mental issues or what - get him off the team.

Anyway, it was a very good game overall. At least our frontcourt is starting to click.

2. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Given the struggles that Bynum is having while paired with Stuckey, and the struggles that Knight had when paired with Stuckey, is it unreasonable to think that the reason the starting unit got more effective with the addition of Singler had less to do with Kyle's play and more to do with the loss of Stuckey?

alexa032, del and copper like this.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with this to an extent.
    I look at Stuckey as an addition by subtraction player this year.
    I still think that Kyle does good things when he's in there though and he helps the offense. It sounds cliche but what Singler does doesn't show up on a stat sheet. He might be the only Piston that keeps the ball moving on the offensive end. That probably leads to a few more FGs for someone during the course of a game.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Hasn't Bynum been suggesting that Stuckey should go back to starting? It's like he wants him away from him.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His nickname should be Hot Potato.

alexa032, del and copper like this.
  6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Stuckey and Singler are quite opposite and I totally agree that Singler even though he is a rookie and makes his share of mistakes, he does keep the ball moving unlike Tay and Stuckey whome seem to slow and drag the offence to a halt. Singler has shown the ability to Take and hit the open jumper ( Tay barely ever takes the open jumper,and Stuck rarely ever makes it)I am hopeful that we can sort out the pg / sg mess and eventually get Singler over to the 3

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum just doesn't need another dribbler on the floor with him. No matter who is guarding him, he's able to get into the lane.

Bynum
    L. Frank
    Kander
    Abdenour
    Drummond

would even hold their own.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since having his career best game on 9-11 shooting, Daye has 14 points on 11 shots in 5 games.

We need to get him some attempts if he's going to be on the floor.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is why Frank needs to go. He's tinkered with every part of that vaunted 2nd unit except Drummond's PT. These guys play better when they're loose and not afraid to make mistakes.

10. copper

copper Bench Warmer

What other team would be so worried about their second unit? Shouldnt we be more concerned with our starters? Only our coach will continue to cycle the same players through the same positions and hope they do better the 3rd or 4th time....why not try a different piece?

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that potato is a good nick name for Stuckey.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max, I think your opinion is a legitimate one. I would modify it a bit saying, whether or not knight pans out, the Pistons need to go after a point guard for next year. It is too risky to the team and the organization to bet the progress of the team (so heavily influenced by the point guard these days) solely on Knight's development.

13. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm not going to keep going in to bat for Knight, but I will do this one more time at least. In this game it was his energy that really got us going and kept us out in front. It was his active defence on Rondo that made him purely a passing threat instead of scoring too and helped get him into foul trouble. Sure, it's not great when Rondo is passing well, but you can hardly blame Knight for an assist if one of his team mates misses an assignment and their player scores.

Knight has another season on his rookie contract yes? Watch him in the lineup with Drummond and Monroe with another outside shooter (Singler) next season and I am pretty sure all this discussion on him will fall by the wayside.

As for Stuckey.... I have been relatively happy to keep him on for a long time as we had no other identity to run with, but I think it is clear he does not fit anywhere in our system now. He either needs to be a lock down defender and/or a knock down shooter to spread the floor. He is neither and he should be trade bait if we could somehow justify his salary.

I would LOVE to see English get an extended run at his minutes, but unfortunately I don't see this happening unless we are mathematically out of playoffs. And even then Stuckey may get extended minutes to try and increase his trade value, because as much as people believe Dumars has his favourite, he would see the ill fit of Stuckey and he wouldn't stand on principle at risk of his job. BoT, Gordon and now HotP are/were not non-traders because of principle - they are/were non-traders because of no trade value.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

You missed an 'o' in pootato.

BallDon'tLie and alexa032 like this.