Home Boston Celtics Sunday, November 03, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Boston Celtics

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"It starts with a dream, add faith and it becomes a belief. Add action and it becomes a part of life. Add perseverance and it becomes a goal in sight. Add patience and time, and it ends wit a dream come true." - Charlie Villanueva.

Tonight we continue the journey. Remember, Boston is a disgruntled team with nothing to lose. It would be remiss of us to assume they're going to play fair. They want a battle and we're going to bring it. We fear no team.

GO PISTONS!!!
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Charlie may have finally found his role on this team.
    BallDon'tLie and KGREG like this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am not going to bother posting it, but Pistons.com does have a preview of the game worth reading. The main thing from it, again, it hints that Jennings may play today. It does not give any hint if it would be a start vs. coming off the bench.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

My preview of the game.

First, we may have everyone back today. So who will not dress will matter. So far, CV, Siva, Mitchell, Datome, Jennings, and Harrellson have not played meaningful minutes in the first two games of the season.

The list of who has played significant minutes is Billups, Stuckey, Bynum, Pope, Singler, JJ, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

CV had some back issues, and I have not heard if they might have cleared up. He and Jennings were the only two not dressed last game.

I can't imagine Harrellson not playing, our only emergency center. Especially if CV is still injured - who himself could be used as an emergency center actually.

Siva could be the odd man out, with 4 other point guards dressing, Billups, Bynum, Stuckey, Jennings. But he is the only one fully healthy in this group besides Bynum, so I do not think that is wise.

Maybe although Datome dressed last game, he is not really ready to play any real minutes. So maybe its him and CV who do not dress.

Is the coach waiting for garbage time to occur before he gets Mitchell out there? Mitchell is way capable of guarding opposing bigs down to shooting guards if need be. I would much rather see him out there vs. either JJ or Singler. Can't say the same for Datome yet, as obviously nobody among us has actually seen Datome play.

Note, when I watched Milwaukee come back to beat Boston after being down 22, one of the most entertaining aspects of this was listening to Boston's announcers basically cry crocodile tears. I am imaging the river they will be crying shortly when they see how much better our front line is then theirs. Though, they do have an undrafted rook who may surprise a bit this evening. (game at 6)

Biggest news for me. Who will start along side Jennings, if Jennings starts, or who will play by Jennings side if he comes off the bench. My guess, Jennings will start, Stuckey will come off the bench at point, and Billups will sit this one out. Just a guess. Now, the other item, just don't know. I sure believe it should be primarily Pope at shooting guard in this game, but the coach may go with Bynum.

Next thing of interest is will Mitchell get to play, and the fourth is will Datome get a shot at playing time.

And finally, I will be watching if a trend that seemed to start last game will continue, that of using JJ at small forward instead of Singler. (and maybe opening some time for Mitchell at power forward as JJ has been put out of position there.)
  6. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

The Celtics have lost against the Raptors and the Bucks. The Celtics have poor outside shooters, and they have only knocked down 23% of their attempts so far. This will lead to Smith being able to help a lot more in the paint, something he thrives at.

I predict:
    We'll win by 10+ and hold the Celtics below 90 points. Zaza Pachulia scored 20 off the bench last game. Monroe is a lock for 20+ points tonight!
    TheeTFD likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

[​IMG]
  8. Nemo

Must win...
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

According to Vince.Goodwill Jennings will play but won't start.

@vgoodwill: Jennings will play tonight. He won't start though #Pistons

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Keith Langlois ‏@Keith_Langlois
    Mo Cheeks reiterates he doesn't see realistic way to play 5 guards. So somebody sits. KCP, despite playing well, likeliest guy out.

:cold:
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's some ol' BULL-JIVE!
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If KCP was 50% as good as Stuckey, I'd still recommend playing him over him. I'm in the win within 5 years club.
  13. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Justin White is reporting that Brandon Jennings will make his Piston debut tonight!
    linwood likes this.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Deeetroit Basketball!! At turns exciting and hair-pulling. Chat was fun until jack showed up with some overwhelming negativity. I had to leave to enjoy the rest of the game. Stuckey turned on the intensity in the 4th and it was great watching him fight through screens. CB is so much more of a point guard than Jennings but you can't turn back the clock. Jennings threaded the needle several time but also threw some head scratching lobs that resulted in -2 points.

Movement was good. rebounding was good but seemed complacent midway through the 2nd. I like Josh doing his thing even though the turnovers are sort of high.

The announcers kept bringing up the rebounding dominance but it was the perimeter D in the last 4 minutes that did the trick.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Lee356 and roscoe36 like this.
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Pistons finished with energy. Nice to see. This team needs to get tighter and play with a little more discipline. I saw some ill-advised shots being launched. I like those "Motor City" jerseys. Gotta get me one.
    Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We just beat a very bad team. But still, a win none the less. Our front line is that good despite horrid coaching. I doubt this coach will last longer than the last one. Either that, or he will begin to coach for wins.

The bad. Again, we see JJ out of position at power forward, Singler out of position at small forward.

More bad. Again, the entirety of the game, save for two minutes, we did not have a good, not even acceptable, backcourt. The last two minutes of the first half, Billups was out there as a shooting guard with Jennings at point. Other than that, you had Billups trying to run the point with Bynum who by no means is a shooting guard as the shooting guard, or even worse, Jennings out there with Stuckey, who is by no means a shooting guard.

More bad. Now the coach is not using any of our draft picks. None of them. And he thinks he is doing ok because he just beat a cellar dweller. He is not.

Now the good. Jennings stole the ball several times, and knocked it away here and there to disrupt their defense. And did not get burnt much at all doing all these attempted steals. Looks good. He hit a three too, got to the basket some. With him, Stuckey, and Billups all in the game, you know there is no room for a 4th string point guard like Bynum. At least he played less in this one. And by the way, if a guy tries to shoot on him, Jennings has plenty enough height to bother the shot. Cat quick getting out to the shooter.

More good. Smith had a great game. Yes, it was against Boston, got to remember that. But in any case, Smith drove inside all night and scored. He even hit a shot off a classic post move, and hit another from in front immediately when getting the ball. (I still count that as a post move, getting in excellent position, shooting as soon as you get the ball, hey, that is not just posting up, its the best way to post up.)

Drummond was all over the boards for slam backs. Monroe looked awesome at times. But again, it was just Boston.

Now, Jennings is suppose to be a pick and roll guy. But although he has a great front line, he has no shooting guard in with him save for 2 minutes of the game. Yeah, how are you going to run any kind of play with the floor not spread. No plays were run, nor will they ever be if our coach keeps this type of coaching up.

We did get the ball inside. Our bigs are all very willing passers, and good at it. (Though Smith looked just a bit off in the ball handling department tonight for a stretch there.)

Jennings is wearing a mask to protect his dental work. Looks like he could have started this one.

Maybe next game, with Jennings finally starting, Billups will start at shooting guard and we will at least get some good play to watch. The only question will be, can any lead be safe enough with Bynum coming in off the bench with Stuckey as his shooting guard?
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    brofmfa likes this.
  17. Nemo

Stuckey was +- 0...Bynum was a +14
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons win by 10, but it appeared closer than that.....especially when they only led by 2 with 2 and change to go.

With Jennings making his Piston debut, he seem to have struggled out of the gate...obviously the pain of missing the preseason was showing. At one point in the third he was sitting at a -14 as Mo made the mistake of paring Drummond with Jennings, Stuckey, JJ and Singler. Each time it erased a lead in both the second and end of the third quarter. Looks like Mo thought he could experiment playing the undermanned Celtics team and it almost cost us.

Jennings /Josh/Monroe/Stuckey and Singler took care of biz in the end to secure the victory.

The unmasked Jennings was the guy we needed out there and once he tossed the head gear he took over and Mo never looked Billups way. Celtics had one shot at hack-a-dre, which Drummond dropped a FT, but Mo replaced him with Singler who responded with a key block and twi clutch free throws. Singler was the only Piston perfect at the line (3-3), but the rest of the team missed 12 FT.

Mo didn't even know that Jennings took the mask off....he must have fell asleep during crunch time

The bigs combined for 45-29 and 5 assists, 5 steals, & 5 blocks, but also had 11 of the Pistons 21 turnovers...Josh had 6 of them himself... For those keeping count, he only took 4 three ball shots tonight.....missed them all. Pistons took 13 with only Billups and Jennings connecting on one each in the second half.

.Good pull out in the end, but as most of us felt in chat, this game should have been over once the Pistons got it to 15 in the beginning of the third. Instead we were down 2 a couple of minutes into the 4th. Too many turnovers and mistakes that hopefully they can over come over the coming weeks.
    BallDon'tLie, brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Very good writeup. Yes, nothing could be concocted worse than the unit we lost all that lead with. Thanks for putting in the specific detail. I'll add, we came out of the tail spin when Monroe came in the game to give that unit finally a way to score the ball, not to mention an actual power forward vs. a false one in JJ.
    LA Dre likes this.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Most of your predictions were spot on! Nice!
    TheeTFD and brofmfa like this.