Boston February 6th, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by Dlev59, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We came out with no purpose to start the game. Well, maybe the first play we had a purpose. Sheed posted up Scalabrini and scored easily. But then the next five minutes we forget the word post. Nothing but outside shots, quick shots in transition, and more outside shots. We managed to stay even at least.

Then, hey, some coaching kicked in. The ball started going into Webber, and Sheed sometimes, and we beat Boston handily. Webber has that outside shot going great, especially off glass. He scored 17 while only missing 4 shots, got 6 assists, five of those out of his post play. Post play, both scoring directly from the guy posting up, and outside shots 100% open from the post player getting a double team, and from cuts to the basket for easy scores off the post play, was the dominant theme for the Pistons tonight. Webber was simply brilliant. Sheed was not the star tonight, but he helped set the tone by fighting for post position along with Webber. Sheed sure appreciates the help.

Tay missed some of those outside shots I mentioned earlier, but he also hit some. He got another of those assists for a dunk from Rip that is becoming a regular feature in Pistons games.

Billups just facilitated for the most part, but he knocked down a key shot here and there.

Rip racked up 11 assists, something about Webber passing the ball is just contagious. Rip also scored about 12 points or so, mostly layups, maybe two outside shots made.
    Dyess only missed one of his 10 shots. Pretty impressive, mostly his long range stuff, but some was out of the post-still fadeback shots, but from the post. His only miss was a blocked shot. In retrospect, the commish fundamentally changed the nature of the game with that new ball he tried to intoduce. Thank goodness common sense prevailed and they brought the old ball back quickly.

Delfino played his usual fine D, knocked down a couple of triples, scored on fast break. He helped with the ball handling chores with some success in the first half, but little success in the 2nd half. Still good to see him out there for both halves though.

Maxiell did not do well on offense, and teamed with Dyess both halves could not do a bit of good on the boards. Or a bit of good on interior D for the most part. He had some blocks and bothered shots, and thats about it. Missed all his shots. But still, it was great to see him play in both halves. He won't improve without getting to play. But should Flip go back to that unit, Hunter, Rip, Delfino, JMAX, Dyess ever again? Probably not. Here is what we could have done: Delfino at point, Tay at shooting guard, JMAX at small forward, Dyess at power forward, and Dale Davis at center to clear the glass. Just like Corliss, JMAX belongs at small forward due to lack of height.

Good win. A slight adjustment to eliminate Hunter from the rotation and moving Maxiell to small forward and it would have been over a lot quicker. Hunter did hit a triple, but supposedly he is a point guard. He did nothing as a point guard. Worse, despite all Hunter's minutes at guard tonight, Billups and Rip still end up with long minutes. This should have been close to an off nite for those two. Overall though, I thought things went pretty well in the coaching department. Both Maxiell and Delfino were kept in the entire 2nd quarter, and both played in the 4th quarter. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Rip is going to sacrificing some point stats, because we are going away from the constant plays to get Rip free, and now concentrating on getting whoever gets open with a nice easy shot off post play. Its Rip sometimes, sometimes Sheed. What a pass from Webber to Sheed for the dunk off Webber's drive in from the left post. Webber drew all the defenders with that completely under control drive and setup Sheed for the two easiest points of the night-not that there was not a lot of competition. Lots of easy shots. And now Rip expects those passes and is actually ready to lay the ball in. Must have been doing some practice.

The team has a lot of weopons out there on offense. Rip still as steady as ever on the midranger. Tay steadying out his shot. CB always dangerous. Sheed pretty deadly from the post. And CWEBB, great inside shots and range out to 18 feet or so. Then Dyess comes off the bench and can't miss. Delfino hits two straight triples-hope that keeps up. Just got that rotation fixed up a bit and this team is going to rock. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  2. max

max All-Star

It was the bench guys who let in most of the damage, not the starters. Nothing to freak out over.

Stupid plays - allyoop dunk attempts and such. Maxiel and Hunter played real bad. Blame it all on Hunter. Actually has some truth to it. For the past couple of games the offense has died with Hunter running the point, he wastes so much time trying to set up a play only to dish it off to the guy next to him to find someone open. Problem is there usuallly less that 10 secs left at that point.

Looking at the time when the main guys were in there - they played pretty good. Great games from McDyess and Webber.

44 Piston points in the paint I believe.
  3. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

seriously guys our bench sucks period. first we complain that the starters play too many minutes and then in the beginning of the fourth when we are up by 24, flip plays the bench and you guys are complaining. I wasnt surprised that they gave up a 13-0 run, but a win is still a win regardless. Flip could have played the starters for entire 4th quarter and we would have won by like 25, but he actually rested them because of the huge lead. Just take the win and stop complaining. We have won 4 straight now and the team is playing great basketball. Whats wrong with chilling out in the fourth if ur up by 24? Winning by 24 and overplaying the starters would have made you guys upset over the minutes. Now you guys find a way to complain on the win margin. Just take it and now time to meet Kobe and the Lakers for our 5th straight win.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It seems like Flip has a new toy. He's gone from running Chauncey into the ground to Rip. 42 min.

We need another back-up guard badly preferable someone who could play the 1 & the 2
  5. max

max All-Star

Good points.

We do need a backup guard though. The rest of the bench is fine except for that. In this game, the bench mainly played like the starters do when they are up by a ton so they have had a bad example to follow on many occasions.

Have to pull a deal for a backup guard and we will be fine. Hunter, Murry and Blaylock are not cutting it - have to pull that deal.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons extreme= best two starting guards to the worst three back-up guards:nerd2:
  7. max

max All-Star

Thing that I don't get. As much as Flip thought Ben bogged down his offense he seems to have no problem with Hunter.

Oh well, a win is a win.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hunter didn't want a max deal. And Hunter is Joe's buddy.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee,

Yes, when the ball goes to Webber, good things usually happen. We are not as likely to go into the drought with him in the flow and yes, the players are feeding off of his play. Better than the old playbook.

Yes, the Piston announcer got it right. Tay is open as he drives. With Chris, it is a lot harder to jam up our offense. Before, you could get up on Rip and Chauncey and hope that Sheed did not go down low and that was it. That one extra guy really matters expecially with someone of Chris's skills. And yes, the ball did wind up back now and again in the hands of our best long-ball shooter, Mr. Chauncey Billips.

On the second unit, no comment--I don't have a remedy.

I would still go for a lock-down perimeter guy and suffer with that unit's basic lack of offense. If we shore up the defense for the big run, we should now have enough offense overall.
  10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

DD DNP
    WB DNP
    AJ DNP
    NAZ DNP
    FLIP JR DNP
    SUPER DUPE DNP

What I think this boils down to is Flip's inability to come up with a rotation and stick with it. Why was Rip in with Jmax Delfino Hunter and Dyess when he could have been resting like the other starters? Why do we not take the timeouts when our 20 something lead starts to shrink and guys are playing like there is 20 seconds left instead of 6 minutes? Why don't we play DD and Nazr and Flip Jr when the other bench guys lose the lead instead of going right back to the starters who were already getting iced down? PISS POOR COACHING!

Flip needs to get it together. He needs to learn how to sub in and out regardless of the score or whatever match up he thinks he is taking advantage of. He needs to come to grips with the fact he is going to run our guys into the ground again why so he can prove a point to DD to not miss a shoot around (not even a practice but a shoot around)
    I am hoping he leaves on his own after this year and takes that job at his alma freakin mater
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joes's buddy Hunter should be sitting up there next to him and Jon Hammond in the comfy seats every game and not taking up space down on the bench :behindsof or floor!!
  12. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

If you want perfection in a game then break out the Hoops Playstation game because in a real game no one is perfect. I thought the Pistons played with lots of defensive intensity and all the offense looked really great with all the passing and high assists. This game was over by the half and the score looked close but the Celtics had quite a few threes and buckets with a foul. The Celtics did go on a run but it wasn't panic time or anything so I'm really happy the Pistons have their longest winning streak of the season. First time in a long time Delfino got in double digits in scoring and if he could have finished a few of his close in shots he would have been smoking. I did notice that no Celtic player made a basket when Delfino was defending him so give him his due for playing really good D. Chris Webber is so impressive with his on court savvy, he's like a fine wine, just gets better with age. Do you think he wakes up every morning pretty happy he signed with the Pistons?
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't see what you guys are complaining about. we dominated boston, and they had 0 chance of winning. people were laughing at them at the palace, like when scalabrine hit a few shots.

simply put, it was no contest. flip tried a new lineup in the 4th and it didn't work because rip and dice were deferring to maxiell, delfino, and hunter. delfino and hunter threw some terrible lob attempts to maxiell, and maxiell had one of his worst games ever, missing easy shots and being unable to box out.

but there's nothing to get upset over from this game. let's be encouraged by how well we played when the game actually mattered in the 1st 3 quarters. 4th quarter was cruise control.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will agree with some of this. However, just one little substition, rather than sitting all these bench guys, was all that was needed. Remember, Delfino and Maxiell still need the work. Dyess was our hottest shooter tonight. Yeah, I would prefer Rip on the bench, but if we could have held the lead for just 3 minutes, he could have sat the rest out.

Considering we stopped them not at all to begin the 4th quarter, why not just bring in Dale Davis, and moving everyone else down one step. Dyess goes from our center to power forward, a position much more natural for him. JMAX goes to small forward, where he can dominate. Delfino goes to shooting guard on defense, point on offense. Rip goes to point defense. As Rip is about our best point defender, how can that not work? Defensively, this is a far far stronger unit than what we ran. Offensively, you trade Dale Davis for Hunter. A wash, no. Dale Davis will take a player or two to keep off the offensive boards, freeing things up more than Hunter does. (Ok, so Hunter frees up nobody and bogs down the offense by not knowing what to do with the ball-trying to be a little kind though.)
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is just a hunch I have, but what we are seeing with Webber is not in the playbook. It's just 5 great players ballin'. Much like a lot of last year, when the Pistons thrived, they were asserting their talent. In the playoffs when things locked down and everyone turned to the playbook for inspiration, it was found lacking.

3 players with 6 or more assists. This is how the game is supposed to be played.

I don't think a "lock down" guard exists anymore in this NBA. Defensively, without Davis, the second unit is massively overrated.

We could use a sharp shooting or slick passing energy guy off the bench. Heck, we could use Earl Boykins.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think that kid Rondo had a lot to do with the C's run... he's really been coming on lately.
    I had no problem with the rotations... other than Lindsey obviously didn't have it tonight... this is the same guy we were praising last game for impacting the defense.... if Delfino & Brahma are allowed to stink then so is LH (not that Carlos played bad tonight)... I don't think Hunter is willing to just defer the ball... it's got to be made painfully clear that Delfino needs to be the distributor when they are matched up together.

But you can't always have your bench and eat it too... they played badly and forced the coach to bring the starters back in.... if they played better then they would have saved some of Rips minutes... the other starters were all below their minutes average tonight.
  17. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I am pissed the starters had to come back in.
    I am pissed Rip got over played when we had 3 guys in flip jr wb or super dupe who could have easily subbed in for him.
    I am pissed guys were playing like the game was over and it was garbage time when there was way to much time left for that kind of stuff. Big difference when it’s the last minute and you are trying to send the fans home on a high note and 6 minutes left.
    Yes it was a good win. Webber is looking like he fits in more and more. Guys are sharing the ball. It just got way to sloppy plain and simple.
  18. max

max All-Star

Merc - not to get too off topic from the game thread.

We go through this every year with Hunter. Every year whatever coach we have uses him as the backup point and every year Dumars goes out searching for a new player.

I love his defensive plays every now and then but he is not enough as the main backup. It is a priority to move Mohammed for a backup guard so we will have to wait and see.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Here is what we could have done: Delfino at point, Tay at shooting guard, JMAX at small forward, Dyess at power forward, and Dale Davis at center to clear the glass.
    ------------
    I like it.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As in Rondo, the Celts +/- leader on the season? Are you feeling it? You really have to watch a player for an extended period of time to see why they are effective when they aren't doing with pure scoring ability.

At this point, I don't really care if the Pistons play sloppy. As long as they get the win, I'm happy.

This is the first year since 2002 that I don't feel like we can win it all. So I'm just trying to enjoy each game. I still think Dale Davis will be the answer to our lack of backbone if he ever gets utilized. But I don't think he will.

Webber is looking great now... but I feel that there will be a week of reckoning in the playoffs when another team makes everything that he does irrelevant.

And I'm in no way in love with any part of Nazr's game, but throw him a bone too when you're up 20. I don't know how a guy goes from starting every freakin game to pure garbage overnight.