Boston Jan. 5th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by Dlev59, Jan 3, 2008.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Big Baby would have eaten Amir alive.

Dice had no business being in the game in the 4th.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I wouldn't have a problem with the loss if it didn't give me flashbacks of the ECF the last 2 years. Chauncey gets pressured by a bigger player (Ray Allen, Tony Allen in this one), and he is completely taken out of the game. With him out of the equation, the offense dies. Prince takes a year to create offense (and it's usually a 20 foot step back jumper), and Rip struggles to create off the dribble. Sheed gets fronted in the post, which instantly removes him from the play and that's the ball game.

What happend to Tayshaun's post game? Seriously. The only thing he does anymore is face up, and shoot step backs. He used to get solid post position, drive middle and hit the baby hook. Or he would spin baseline for the layup. He hasn't had good post position once this year, and when he does post he shoots some ugly turnaround jumpshot that NEVER goes in. His offensive game has completely regressed. I won't bring up his D on Pierce in the 4th quarter, but I will say this he has been a no show in most big games this year. Not going to jump the gun and say trade him/bench him/etc, but if the Pistons want a title he's got to show up in big games.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I never said we didn`t need another big, I said it is not reasonable at this time to say the Pistons winning a championship depends on AJ playing.

This is just one game, however, the Pistons were exposed. Rebounding and mental mistakes by our Mr. Big Shot did us in, not to mention Boston is better than I thought defensively.

I agree with whomever said Max should have been in the game instead of Dyess. I wasn`t able to watch the game like I wanted too, but the Pistons are 1-1 against the best team in the league.

I will say AJ would definitely help our rebounding woes, along with Max, they would clean the glass with youth, energy and hustle.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is why i'm so negative about this team sometimes. Nothing's changed. When the pressure's on, all the mistakes/problems of previous years are exposed. Such a disappointing game.

Afflalo 3 min after the performance he had in BOS. No Max in the 4th. Flip will never learn.

edited to add; It seriously boggled the mind how Flip can't put 2 and 2 together. We were getting killed on dribble penetration; taking jumpshot after jumpshot. He is not a playoff coach plain and simple.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree; tay has been very strange this year; the offense become stagnant when he handles the ball too much; i think he has regressed offensively and defensively

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great post.

I'll add another point to that list of ECF memories.Glen Davis "Gibsoned" the Pistons today. I am sure I can think of more soon.

As for Tayshaun I thought he was going to be a stud this season after out rebounding guys like Dwight on Team USA and after that great game in Miami to open the season. He has slowed down for a while now though.

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Um, JMax played the first 7 1/2 minutes of the 4th quarter before Dice came in for the final stretch. One could maybe argue that Dice shouldn't have come back into the game at all, but "no Max in the 4th" is not factual.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Bad phrasing on my part. I meant crunch time.

9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Flip said in his post game press conference that max was tired that is why he took him out.

rosenberg said that he heard sheed left the arena in full uniform...lol
    sheed's wife must be overjoyed at that situation...lol

10. CHS Ace 12

CHS Ace 12 First Round Draft Pick

we gave boston too many second chance points that was the difference

and missed freethrows

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

We can't rebound to save our life. 50-36. :eek:

::::develop Amir::::

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree Fresh Prince and others. Too reminiscent of ECF finals. Get into Billips and Rip and hurt the Piston offense. Why doesn't our staff anticipate this? My only excuse for the game is that we didn't have our hop (tired?).

Observations:

1) Maxiel needs to start. He got fouls on Garnett. He needs to get way more touches in general.

2)Dice was a liability today. We are thin at the center position. Brezec did not play well. We need someone.

Joe may have to deal. Obviously the staff is not confident in AJ but he would have played better than Brezec and Dice today. Joe may have to deal.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This was a dis-spiriting loss. I would have been upset even if they won. It was in one of the papers today that the coaches were talking about how open all their players seemed to be lately. When that is the case DET is a good offensive team.

It is hard to figure out what their game plan was tonight on O. They got nothing out of screen & roll but ran it 95% of the time. It's hard to believe that the man with the ball can have 2 guys on him yet no one else is open. That left them to go 1 on 1 with little time on the shot clock aka the playoff offense. They didn't look to run at all.

I think this team may need to go get a legit PG, not to back up CB, but to pair with him for these types of games. Not turning the ball over is great. Not running anything so you won't turn the ball over is not.

That being said, if they rebounded they could have won by 10 aka what I'll probably be saying after they are eliminated from the playoffs.

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Not much to add on this one that hasn't already been said. I was wrong on them trapping Note, but I was right that the Pistons would be chuckers tonight. They were. Flip's offense: The vomit offense. Throw it up and see if it makes it in the toilet. Too many projectiles hit the floor instead. Pistons shot 39.2 percent from the floor. The only bright spot for me was Max. What a stud. I loved how he took on Garnett and then blocked his shot later. Sheed had a decent game, but the guy is too combustible.

I had to listen to the Boston feed tonight. Brutal listening to Heinsohn. He called so many phantom fouls on Detroit, it was ridiculous.

Looks like it doesn't matter if the Pistons get home court. They play pretty well on the road, too.

The Celts played excellent defense tonight. It is very hard to get into an offensive rhythm against them.

The Celts were the aggressors tonight. No bout a doubt it.

Dyess was ineffective and Tay was almost nonexistent. Oh well, only 1 of 82.

15. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I saw the game.

Kudos to our local basketball tv network to change their original schedule of showing Utah vs Portland to the MAIN game of the day.

Round 2 between Detroit and Boston.

Well, game 1 was supposedly Boston's to win and Detroit gutted out a win using their savvy and team play.

Game 2 was Detroit's to win and Boston came back to upset the homecourt favorites.

Observations made were that:

1. Dice sucked in this game. Timid and cold on offense and yielding on defense. He got pushed around by Garnett and whoever who he was against. He wasn't as active on the boards as well, and I mean the kind that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. No inside game and settling for jumpers.

2. Primoz looks funny. I mean funny funny. Hehe, goofy funny. But you gotta give it to the guy. He does work hard with whatever time he gets and he's happy to be out there. He appears not to have any effect because he has so little time.

3. Chauncey and Rip's free throw misses spelled doom.

4. Rebounding took a big hit in this game. It was like almost all the guys under the boards wore green. Even their tipped balls went to a guy in a Celtic uniform. Breaks of the game.

5. Tay played great defense on Pierce as he could but you know that the guy would get his points no matter what, but slowing him down he did. I agree, he has lost some of that post game. Must be that really thick Saunders playbook.

6. Maxiell was great in this one and I agree he should have been in the fourth rather than Dice. On that hard block and foul on Garnett, that should have been a double technical, Garnett started the mouthing first and Maxiell was walking past him but you gotta stand up for yourself when someone's talking down on you man. No complaints from over here JMax!

7. Stuckey looked good out there but got burned on that pick and roll to get Pierce going, and one. He is gonna be fine guys. He's playing with poise and control. He is gonna be our future point. Chauncey-like in build and smarts, different game.

8. Afflalo didn't have enough time to make an impact. But instead of forcing that stab under the goal where he got mugged and blocked, bring the ball outside and set up the offense back young fella.

9. No Amir. Amir is Darko, though time will tell if Amir has JMax's fortitude, perseverance, patience and hard work.

10. Foul trouble was no advantage, as nobody it seemed knew how to guard the reserves.

Overall, it was a game of breaks and execution that Detroit should have won but Boston stole it. Offense was ok but it could have used more inside post games from Dice. Sheed and JMax did their part. Foul trouble should have been exploited but Detroit couldn't capitalize. Defense was good for both teams, I have to say. Blocks, steals, running through screens it was great to see all that again.

Despite the loss, the two happiest things I can take from this game are:

1. That I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the Boston-Detroit regular season games and the games that count in the playoffs. See you in the Eastern Conference Finals Boston!

and

2. These Pistons look hungry again. Yes. Time will tell.

GO DETROIT PISTONS!

:sssh:

16. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Oh and yeah, I had to listen to the Boston commentary too.

So that guy's name was Heinsohn huh, I mean I respect their team's ability and talent but trying to insult my intelligence by calling that game so biased that every call against Detroit were right and the Celtics didn't make mistakes of their own faults.

Idiots.

Couldn't bring myself to mute the set though. Loved the Palace crowd getting up for the Pistons even with the commentary.

GO PISTONS

:MusicBigGrin:

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah League Pass was the Boston announcers. OMG. I have never heard that group before and they certainly would win the award for homer announcers if there was one. Every time a Celtic missed a basket they would assign a foul to a Piston as the reason! Literally. They would name the Piston and what they imagined the foul was that the ref had missed.

At the very very end of the game when it was clear we had lost, one of these announcers said "Well, the Pistons players are all yelling at each other and I'll tell you they're using very bad language, so there's some unrest on the Pistons team right now." (paraphrase) Whoever said it sounded just thrilled to report more bad news about us.

Anyway I think it's a good thing if it's true. They should be very upset about this unnecessary loss. I'd rather have them steaming mad than complacent.

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's the regular season folks. You know how much that means, right? Not much. The Pistons did not get blown out. They were competitive. Even if the game was a blowout either way, do you think it would matter in the least come playoff time? Hecks to the NO!!

None of this matters right now. Two excellent teams played. One won & one lost.

This stuff will only matter in round three when Flipper does his thing. Enjoy the regular season. You'll enjoy lots of wins and only a few losses. The games, relatively speaking, do NOT mean shizzle.

Save your tears for the Eastern Conference Finals...Mark my words,you'll need em.'

:darthvader:

19. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I am not going to say much due to the fact that the game was very hard fought and I really like our chances. You so called experts are reading to much into this believe me. The only thing or aspect of the game I really focused on was our hunger and desire. We are going to be fine folks, this is our what 35th game we are not even at the half way through the season. We have one and they have one as simple as that. Our hunger is there and if Tay and Sheed would have shown up offenseively we would have beaten these guys easily. This was pointed out to me by a Boston fan at the sports bar. I know he knows we will be a tough team to beat, not by his verbsal declarations but by him observing the game with his hands over his mouth the whole game. Boston is scared to death of us and they just won a game that doesn't mean %%%%.

We are just as good as they are and we have them THINKING, believe me folks. We have not been exposed as most of you might think we just happen to lose this one. Even great teams lose ya know. In this series homecourt will not be an issue. It will be a battle of wills not a battle of skills, on any court, Trust. A RARE EXP POST.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Max said he wasn't tired :stirthepot: