Brand

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by anakin, Jul 8, 2008.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

According to Hoopshype, Brand poised to accept a 5-yr $82M deal w/ the 76'ers. This a 20pt, 10reb guy that will make Philly a very tough matchup, if the deal goes through. Will the Brand signing be the big domino that starts the trade season rolling? How will this impact the Clips and Warriors? Will this help the Pistons?
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I think hurt personally. East is getting stronger.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Just to clarify, I meant to say will this signing help the Pistons work on a trade involving GS or LAC.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I imagine its possible. Both teams made attempts to improve by either signing another teams free agent or signing their own.

This could conceivably lead to desperation on their part to improve in another fashion.

I'd expect the Clippers to take that Brand money and offer it to Josh Smith.

All in all this could help us, hurt us, have a negligible effect. Who knows.

I'm already weary of waiting for Joe to make a noise.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

I like Brand, but the contract length could become Philly's Achilles heel. No way you offer the guy that term for those bucks after he played just a few tune-up games at the end of the season.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Ha

Ha

CLIPPERS: Elton Brand Injures Achilles

:pound:
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The bottom line on this whole deal is that Donald Sterling, Elgin Baylor and the Clippers get screwed again losing Brand, Maggette and ET and all they got return is B-Diddy... So instead of Challenging the Lakers for Kings of the Staples center, they will again be treated as second citizens by the local fans and media....unless they get involved in some nice trade themselves and their draft picks pan out...

naw they are toast
  9. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Stefanski did a great job. Rebuilding was very short... I can see them winning the conference after one season of learning and gaining experience.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

A great move by EB. He obviously recognizes his chances of at least making it to the Finals improves immensely by playing in the EC.

The `76ers played very well in the latter half of last season, with the addition of a healthy EB, IMO they are easily a top 4 seed in the conference.

Baron Davis must be livid. The Clips may not even make the playoffs in the West..........
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not done until it's done, but you're right - can't be a good morning for Baron waking up to a roster headlined by Kamen and Cuttino Mobley with Tim Thomas and Brevin Knight off the bench. Of course, he hasn't actually signed anything yet either...

I'm not sure this doesn't push Philly past Orlando and in serious contention with a Boston team without any bench at all and Detroit with same ol', same ol'. Philly could win 60 if it happens.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think Brand is this year's Grant Hill, right down to being a punk that isn't ever going to win anything.

It's my understanding that he gave people the impression that he was opting out in order to allow the Clippers to sign more people IN ADDITION to him. I don't know if the threat of a tampering investigation scared him away or if he just got greedy, but IMO the Clippers will be much better off if they can steal Josh Smith away from the Hawks.
  13. LA Dre

Yeah here in LA where Brand was always considered a good guy, Brand has become the Carlos Boozer of 08. Don't know what Davis will do, how much the Clippers have left in the bank, and who else they can sign, but Clipper fans are upset and Laker fans are ...well still arrogant:sssh:

Mo Cheeks got a good team brewing there with AI 2 and EB...our hold on a top 4 seed next season just got a little tougher with other teams signing and drafting key players. Only the Pistons and Cavs seem to be stuck in second gear.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

But what if his comeback fails? The Sixers wont look so good then, having wasted money they could have saved for a real free agent on a suit model.
  15. LA Dre

The local LA beat writers are blaming Brand's agent David Falk for being the catalyst in backhand deal that leaves the Clippers gasping...but what about EB's loyalty...

There other questions are will Baron still sign, well probably because the only other team with cap space to sign him without an MLE would be Memphis:MusicBigGrin:

Well the warriors have offered all of their money to Magette and Turiaf...

He use to live in LA, he has business interests, family and celebrity friends here...he's happy to be home, .. well he was happier last week... One guy even mentioned that the Lakers offer the MLE to him, but as we know some players want to get paid and others want rings....

Yeah, Brand turned his back on the Clips after recruiting Davis down from the Bay area, but maybe he was waiting all along for the sixer offer and did not want to leave the Clippers with absolutely nothing??? EB made 17 Mill last year for 8 games..almost as much starbary made $19 mill for 28 games.....
  16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Clippers got Falked. LOL.....

I was reading up on this Falk character. He is no joke. Apparently he was a major agent a mover and a shaker doing the Jordan era and he retired. He came back and now he is making a big splash. I guess no one likes him around the league and Falk took it as a insult that the Clippers tried to go around him and deal with Brand directly. Falk took it personal and decided to put the screws to the Clippers.
  17. LA Dre

In the news conference, Falk indicated that Dunleavy acted on behalf Clipps in the negotiations and Dunleavy said that Sterling didn't want to offer the big contract and EB could take it or leave it.... well if the owner isn't feeling you then do you sign or go some where else?

Still don't know about the Achilles, but the next question is who could we have given up to do a sign and trade with the clips besides both Tay, Alf and Dice?
  18. Winless Wonders

Could we have did what Philly did and trade away just one starter and a bench player to create cap space to sign a player like Maggette or Brand to more than the MLE? It seems like we are not being very creative for a team that claims it wants to shake things up.
  19. LA Dre

That is what I am saying WW..............Joe or Mr D are so in love with these core players, we can't seem to move anybody to make room for others...Where is the creativeness int he palace penthouse??? Maybe Mike Curry is in charge and wants to work with what he has...
  20. Winless Wonders

I don't know Dre. I think we are going to end up in a bad way this season. Curry is a rookie coach. I think he will have the same problems if not worse than Flip. Where is Curry's rings? How can he tell these guy's what to do when he hasn't done it himself. I think Joe D. under estimates the wear and tear on the core and the age of the front court. I think we will get pushed around even more next year. I don't think any of the Pistons are hungry and I think it may be true that the Pistons are just cheap. If Bill Davidson says don't spend the full MLE or go over the cap what can Joe do?