Brand

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by anakin, Jul 8, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe Joe was targeting CJ Miles all along as the piston savior and is going to split the MLE between him and Delfino... which means once again it will be a crapshoot on who or how many of the 7 to 11 role players on the team have a breakout season...

I can only imagine what the Cavs fans are saying as they are not doing a darn thing themselves to get a player to surround King James...maybe they already know he's gone.. after 2009 and saying the heck with it...
  2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I hope a majority of Pistons fans are as eager to throw Curry under the bus as they were Flip. The only way next season turns out to be good w/ the same core is if Stuck and Amir develop beyond anyone's hopes. Somewhere in all this Joe escapes any culpability for his lack of action.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wow!!! I just never knew that Joe was a some sort of magician who could snap his fingeres and make players come to Detroit for the MLE. Would you be happy if he went out and gave Diop or Pietrus $31million, how about the 5 year $24million contract James Jones got. Yeah Joe is really sleeping on the job, he could be out there giving BS contracts away too. OMG!!!!
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Or is the core plays better.
    Or if Curry installs a better defensive system.
    Or if Boston plays worse.

I don't think it is all up to Suckey and Amir. Even so, I expect them to be better.
  5. anakin

You and I have no clue have as to what Joe has on his plate or not. So don't start w/ false argument that Joe should start signing bad contracts. The starting core has been unchanged since 2004 and the bench has always been a weak point. That is not conjecture, it is fact. The time for change should have started when this roster lost to Miami. Joe has had enough time to evaluate his ability to work a deal.
  6. anakin

Is it realistic to expect prime/over-prime vets to play better w/ all the additional playoff miles and knocks they have taken?
    Sheed is Sheed, CB is a big ego and Tay does wear down.
    Game 3 against Boston was truly an egg, even Joe said as much, the Pistons could have knocked the air out of them. The opportunity was there, even w/ Flip-Flop as coach.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think they both may have been ready to break out last year but weren't given the chance. If you think about it; if CB doesn't get hurt, Stuck doesn't shine either.

We may have the impact players we need on our roster already. Sign Delfino back short term to back up Tay (and give him the minutes) and lets get the season started.
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Joe didn't even make an offer to any of those guys. That's sleeping on the job in my book. Atleast make these guy's offers. How is wasting time talking to Delfino going to help us beat Boston? Give me a break. If our goal is just to stay competitive and not beat Boston and win championships then by all means go ahead and stay pat and sign whatever miserable scrub you can throw 900K at.

We have it a lot better than some of the lowly franchises in the league that barely get a sniff of winning. If that is the case just say so Joe.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back, that should have been a very busy and aggressive summer for Joe, heck even the Heat should have shook up their roster that summer. In reality in 06, we didn't lose because we didn't have enough firepower, we lost because the team got outplayed and outcoached. The talent has been here, the fire in the heart has not. What was Joe to do fire a coach after his 1st season where the team won over 60 games???
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude you don't just MAKE OFFERS, if you talk to the agent, and the agent tells you that you really don't have a chance, then you don't tie up your funds (while other FA's are still available) just to tell your internet fan base, "I made an offer". Joe makes plenty of informal offers to agents, but wwhen they say no, what are you suppossed to do.
  11. anakin

I agree. I am not trying to play hindsight w/ the overall good body of work Joe has accomplished. I am saying that a deal may not fall into place just because Joe is now eager for a roster change and realizes that the status quo is unacceptable. Wheeling and dealing IMO is a constant process, you always look for ways to take your team over the top. That has not happened over the years. The starters were pretty much guaranteed playing time w/o even the threat of someone coming off the bench to take their job. As an ex. SF has always required a competent back up which was never addressed. A lot of fans have been clamoring for an established bench player to be added to the rotation. Big Ben was effectively never replaced on this roster. Another player of his caliber would have made a huge impact on this team's chances w/ Dice coming off the bench. This was in addition to the if ain't rough it ain't right, we play our best w/ our backs against the wall etc. slogans we heard out of this team.

Offer Posey the max. MLE and see what happens. Though in reality it may be a 1-2 years too late. This type of player may have been a difference maker come crunch time.
  12. Winless Wonders

If that's your belief ok. In my opinion I don't think there was much of any work to get any of these top tier free agents. Our mind set has been to keep trying to find that diamond in the ruff that guy that just has been kicked around that will suddenly play like a star. You can't keep going to that well. You think the Clippers like getting dissed by Brand and now Davis may walk away from his deal. Atleast an offer was on the table for them to walk away from. I don't agree with your logic,, but you have a right to your opinion.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I hear what you're saying, but these players DO NOT JUST FALL OUT OF THE SKY!!! I mean the Gasol deal is still a head scratcher by all accounts. Replace Ben with who, Kurt Thomas!!! How about Amare, yeah we could've done a deal to send Nazr and Lindsey to Phx for Amare. In a trade teams want young players and/or high draft picks back inreturn (i.e. low contracts / high potential) we hav had none of that.

You wanna know the funny thing, Joe has done a great Job of keeping the pay-roll reasonable by negotiating decent contracts. Now when it comes time to trade 'em we can't get the salaries of our reasonably paid players to match up with their OVERPAID players!!!! Talk about a gift and a curse.
  14. Winless Wonders

I agree with you there. To get a major star we would almost have to trade half of the team. I think we should instead look for smaller deals that can be made.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I agree, I think we should trade a position we have depth at i.e. PG and especially PF for players who can strengthen the bench. Here go make a deal; play Joe for a moment and see how fun it is.

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Okay, so far I have these variables to consider.

We don't want to trade multiple "core" players for a star. Our best bet is to let our current players ride off into the sunset wearing Pistons jerseys until they either retire or aren't worth anything.

At the same time, we don't want to not make the playoffs, so getting a star through the draft is pretty much NEVER going to happen.

Oh yea....but we want to win the Championship. Now.

YEA...RIGHT.

Not going to happen folks. The Pistons will not win a Championship in todays NBA without a star. They will not be attractive enough to steal any superstar free agents... no matter how much money they accrue.

The only way Joe is going to answer this need is through a trade or through the draft lottery. Unless of course we are content to cross our fingers and hope Amir is that next big thing. Or perhaps Stuckey will get some pixie dust sprinkled on him and he will think happy thoughts and fly.

Or I know. Michael Curry will come in with the exact same roster and prove that a good coach really does make a difference.....

:pound:

Okay, enough ranting.

KGreg is starting to rub off on me. :)
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ever year is the year that the starters "fall off". We'll be fine next year. Do we need to make a move? Yes. Posey? Best-case scenario.

I'm just as annoyed as anyone at Joe D, but i realistically realize there's not much out there. The only thing i can fault him for is not going hard after Posey, and this retarded view that your going to get a player of that caliber w/o the MLE or that you should exhaust all trade options first. By the time that's done if nothing happens, you can probably only sign Allan Houston. I think in a way Joe's "patience" has become his Achilles heel.

However, even if we cleared cap space for Brand, he WANTED to go to Philly. His family is in Philly, and really how much of our core would we have to trade away to match an 82 mil $ offer.

I don't think expecting a boost out of the young players is wrong. We looked like a totally different team when Amir played extensively. What if the starter's are forced to earn PT? There's tons of indication that there can be a good amount of internal growth. If you think about it's almost like a new roster because other players will actually play.

We won what 59 games ?, went to Game 6 of the ECF with tons of drama and an inept coach with guys who weren't "preparing" properly. The players have gone on record saying they wish for a coach that screams at them. Well now they have it. I really don't see such a bleak situation like some do.

An attitude adjustment will do this team good, and Curry doesn't strike me as someone who's just talk.

If things go south, we are sitting pretty with great pieces like Sheed's expiring contract at the mid-season deadline among other pieces. Stop being so pessimistic guys! It's too weird for me being the one who's all positive :)

edited to add;

Does Joe overvalue the starters? Maybe. But can you really blame him? What team outside of SAS has been as consistently good as them? And honestly it's hard to really figure out who should go since the group dynamic is what makes them so good. I don't really see any big move we can make that will makes us better (except BD decides he wants the MLE which enables to trade Chauncey for value, but then i woke up)

We can target Josh Smith, but we'd have to overpay him by a gazillion dollars to get him away from ATL.
  18. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

You're right. A great GM has to always be thinking ahead. Last summer, Joe gambled that his core had one more very good shot at the finals this year, and that gamble backfired. The trade value of probably all of the starting five except Rip has declined since then. In his defense, we don't know to what extent Joe D's hands were tied by Bill D's control of the purse strings.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great post! You go girl!
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Once again Sterling shows himself to be the worst owner in the league.

Sorry, I thought it was a thread about Brand.