Brandon Inge

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by buddahfan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I for one would love to see him stay in Detroit if he can become comfortable with his new situation.

It could be that after Leyland gets an up close view of Cabrera's current lack of defensive skills at 3rd base for a few dozen games that Leyland will do the smart thing and put Cabrera in left field and put Inge back at 3rd.

Brandon Inge's giving spirit connects with local fans

Tigers: Inge trade tricky

:hoops:
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Inge only has his self to blame for losing his job. He needs to just accept his role on this team. It is Inge that wants to be traded. As long as the Tigers are willing to pay him why leave? It is dumb. At some point an injury is going to happen and he will get playing time.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

After all he's been through here, you'd think that he'd wait it out a year and see if he could get a ring. He'll contribute.
  4. buddahfan

In my opinion, he should be starting this year at 3rd base. With all of the hitting we have in the lineup it seems to me that we benefit more by keeping his defense at 3rd rather than Cabrera, who is an absolutely terrible fielding 3rd basemen.

Put Cabrera in left and forget Jacque Jones. The question is do we want Inge or Jones starting because Cabrera can play 3rd or left.

I would much rather have Inge starting than Jones, because playing Cabrera at 3rd base and Jones in left instead of Inge at 3rd and Cabrera in left will in my opinion cost us more runs and more games.

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Isn't Jones a lefty bat? Seems like we would have too many righty bats in there with Binge in there as well. It would be cool if Brandon could be a D3B, Designated third basemen, and not bat.
  6. buddahfan

If you go and check his splits last year he actually hit better against lefties.

Secondly in my opinion this who lefty righty thing is way overblown when you have a team that is going to average 6 runs a game.

Most baseball fans are like most basketball fans, probably the same people in a number of cases, in that they way underestimate the value of excellent defense.

It seems to me that the main advantage of the Tigers having Jones is that he can play a better center field than any of our other guys that will make the 25 man roster, except for Grandy. Jones also hits left handed pitching pretty good. So I can see him playing in center field for us against left handed starters, which Grandy so far in his career has not had much success with.

Jones will also allow us to rest Grandy and still be able to put a decent fielder in center field on those occasions.

However, my guess is that most likely, Leyland will play Thames in left and Raburn in center against lefties.

7. buddahfan

History has shown that it is almost alway pitching and defense that get you into October and the World Series title and not hitting.

There have been exceptions, but that is just what they are.

Last year we didn't make the playoffs because our pitching stunk, not because we weren't scoring runs.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How many balls get hit to 3rd base per game? What is the difference in the fielding % for Cabrera and Inge?

It would be an interesting calculation to see if the worse fielding is made up for with the higher offensive contributions.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm willing to tolerate a couple of Cabrera errors at 3B in place of watching Inge strikeout another 150 times.
  10. buddahfan

Sounds good now, but it will be not be just a couple of more errors and it will be a heck of a lot more balls not gotten to that become hits, probably something like 1 to 2 a game on the average.

I would rather see Inge at 3rd than Jones in left but you will probably get your wish.

Pitchers who strike out Inge, which there are a lot of, get over confident in their abilities and as a result wind up grooving one or more for Grandy. LOL

11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Tigers already said that Cabrera will play at 3rd. So that puts Inge on the bench. Knowing how stubborn he is, I wouldn't be able to say what's he gonna do next.
  12. buddahfan

I know what they said. But it is a mistake

13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

In the hole, I would think Renteria would have better range than Guillen. Not sure about that though. Cabrera may not have to cover as much ground as Binge did with a healthy Renteria.
  14. buddahfan

If you research it you will find that Renteria has lost at least a step in his coverage over the last couple of years and his range is probably not much if any better than Guillen's. Moving Guillen to 1st was done to save his legs.

The shortstop can't help the 3rd baseman on balls hit between the 3rd baseman and the bag.

After about 30 games of Cabrera's futility at 3rd making you sick to your stomach, which will happen sometime in May, you will change your mind.

BaseballAmerica.com: Prospects: Ask BA

Tigers, Marlins finish blockbuster deal - Boston.com

15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I for one hope they figure out a way to keep him here and happy. Some of the plays he makes at the hot corner are unbelievable.

I think he will be better at the plate this year if he gets a chance.
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Dont worry guys. I'm working on an amazing Baseball Preview special that I should have done by March. I'm just kinda waiting on Inge's status by Spring Training. I'll give some great insight on what 'potentially' could be 'THE BEST TEAM EVER!"
  17. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Has anyone thought of switching Cabrera AND Guillen???

I think Guillen has enough range and quickness to play Third, while Cabrera hangs out at First.

Worth a try???
  18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The are trying to save Guillen's knees, so I don't know how they'd like on his move to third in light of that.
  19. buddahfan

Hessman will play 3rd before Guillen.

Depth Chart at 3rd is probably

Cabrera
    Inge
    Hessman
    Raburn
  20. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We have a log jam at third base. Guillen needs to play first and I sure hope they are able to take advantage of Brandon's defense.

Does he become the back-up catcher and take over for Pudge after next year full time when he is done? We saved "some" wear and tear by him playing third. Is this a viable option or do we have an all star catcher waiting to step in?