Brandon Knight bust potential..?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 7, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And Knight isn't? Brandon just plays so awkwardly to me, there's no fluidity in his motion, he doesn't know how to combine his speed, length and athleticism together for a net positive.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kemba is 1.5 years older than Brandon and has 3 years of college experience compared to 1 year for Brandon. Both have played about the same amount of time in the NBA. Here are there per 36 minute stats for this year:

Kemba / Brandon
    18.9 / 16.0 points
    6.2 / 5.4 assist
    3.1 / 4.1 rebounds
    1.9 / 0.6 steals
    2.2 / 3.4 turnovers
    43.5% / 40.9% FG
    1.2 34.0% / 2.1 42.7% 3-point shooting
    80.5% / 76.2% FT

Most of the numbers are pretty close. BK7 has a slight edge in rebounding and 3-point shooting. Kemba leads all other categories.
  3. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Knight IS getting points on a bad team. Here's the difference, Walker has taken 100 more two point field goal attempts than Knight, all while playing three fewer games. Walker is a 6'0, short armed, SG who spends some time running the point.

I do agree that Knight hasn't yet learned how to put his gifts together. He has a slick handle, but constantly takes the ball into the teeth of the defense. He has decent passing skills, but can't seem to consistently make a simple post entry pass. I do sometimes get the strange feeling that I'm seeing Lindsey Hunter, circa 1994. Having said that, Knight is a MUCH better shooter than Hunter, and MUCH better on the break.

Walker is definitely a stronger baller than Knight. I just wonder if he's a strong enough baller to warrant how often he touches the ball or how many shots he takes. His style of play almost forces you to use him as your first or second option, and I'm not sure that he's that good of player. It would be difficult to create a team around Walker. I could see Walker really thriving on the Knicks in Felton's role. There, he would be the clear #2 option on a team with a ton of great passers.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

While Knight's PG run was rather dismal at the start, he plays well off ball and has good vision. Like Drummond, they need to keep Knights PG development under supervision and I think that is happening. In crunch time, Prince and Stuckey handle the ball a lot but Knight isn't ice'd out of the role. I have no doubt he'll improve. He's a much raw-er prospect than people are accepting but top PGs are either drafted, paid a premium or get traded to the Lakers at the end of thier careers. Our best bet is that he develops. He's not hurting the team out there and with our makeup...its better that he doesn't dominate the ball.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If the Pistons are to improve next year, they will need a point guard who can run the team, get into the lane and make the passes to Drummond and Monroe. If the Pistons wind up drafting 7th or so, as it looks, I would definitely take a point guard. I wouldn't gamble on how long (if and when) Knight can take on that role. It is too important a position to the team for a long term gamble.

It is hard to speculate on Knight. He was and is very raw. I don't see natural point guard skills, however. He doesn't handle the ball well. And he doesn't get consistent penetration. In fact, teams often trap him. On the defensive side, I do not see tough perimeter defense from Knight or steals.

He does have a shot although not consistent now, will improve over the years.

The organization cannot afford a 3 to 5 year experiment at point guard. It is too risky. Get a real point guard and let Knight develop on his own and find his way.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

5 things I like about Knight and 2 I do not.

He's big and fast.
    He's a great spot up shooter.
    He has a high motor.
    He takes the game personally.
    He tries to involve his teammates.

He lacks tenacity on defense.
    He tends to over-commit with his aggression
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The only way we don't have a 2-3 year of growing pains at PG is if we bring in a FA or make a trade, whether its Knight or a rookie next year there not going to be ready.... I'm not wanting us to draft yet another PG with hopes of him being what we need. Get a number one option scorer and another year of Knight in the starters roll. If he doesn't keep progressing then get a vet to run the show the next season when I feel our pups will be ready to make a run into the playoffs.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like that he is a gym rat, first to arrive at the gym, last to leave, every day. That's what makes a champion.
    S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I see knight giving a lot of effort on d. Not sure if it's effective our not.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't that the complaint against Knight in a nutshell? He's got it all but it doesn't add up.

I feel like you could put Knight in a gymnastic or baseball uniform and he'd still look the best and show as much feel for those sports.
    KGREG likes this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I dunno, Trey Burke looking more and more like a young Chris Paul.
    In Chris Paul's sophmore year at Wake he averaged:
    14.8 ppg / 5.9 apg / 3.3 rpg and he shot 49.6% from the floor, 46.5% from the arc and 84.3% from the FT line.
    This year Burke is averaging 17.4 ppg / 7.1 apg / 3.2 rpg and shooting 51.9% from the floor, 35.8% from the arc and 75.7% from the FT line.

Chris is clearly the better shooter in terms of percentages (via the arc and FT line), just have to watch the entire season and tourney play out. But I definitely see Burke as an upgrade over Knight.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Oh I agree Burke looks like the real deal and I think in time he's going to be a stud (not going to the Chris Paul level) I just don't think that he's going to step in next year as a rookie and be an elite PG, its going to take him and almost any PG a few years to become great. For what its worth they still have him listed in the 20's draft wise. Tons of can't miss talent, misses... and I'd rather spend a high draft pick on a starter at the spot were weakest at... and I think that right now that is SG.

I love Burke and I'd love to have him be a Piston and be the next great one after Isiah and Billiups, but I just don't see it happening. Things change for sure, but looking at the draft board right now there are no PG's I'd take in the top 10. Now, if we can trade down and get two picks in the late teens and get Burke and a SG..... I'll drink that Kool-Aid. But were putting off becoming a playoff team by yet another year IMO if we give the keys to yet another rookie PG. I can't think of any rookie PG's that have come in and lead there team to playoff success.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think knight well do better in the nba than Olympic gymnastics.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Joe will draft a SF with that 1st round pick.....
    Someone Tay can teach his moves to.......
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

A lot of great players in college/HS end up being total scrubs in the NBA. You have to look at transferable skill sets, not stats.
    alexa032 and roscoe36 like this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

My favorite quality in Brandon Knight is his brain.
    The dude seems too smart to fail to me.
    He'll end up figuring out how to be a really good NBA PG.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Everyone used to say this about Rodney Stuckey too, until he started failing highschool classes.
    Whitepine likes this.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Rodney is more like the scarecrow.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I have, that's where the Chris Paul comparison comes from, he's almost identical to Chris Paul when Chris played for Wake. Trey has a tight handle, a killer stutter and hesitation dribble, he finishes well in traffic over bigger players-while absorbing contact. Watching him this season you can tell that he worked all summer at getting his game more NBA'esque, it's almost as if he and Beilein are playing for the scouts. Trey has come in this season and specifically addressed every knock that the pro scouts had on his game last year. If Trey was 6'3" or 6'4".....he'd be a top 3 pick in the draft, but I think NBA folks are getting too caught up in measurements (see guys like Jonathan Bender, Shaun Livingston, Perry Jones etc etc) and they keep forgetting all the little guys who were absolutely amazing because they simply knew how to play basketball.
    Slippy likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

You make some great points, except for the size one. Size is super important, but only in one aspect. And that aspect is length.

Length makes you better at everything, higher release, smaller shot pivot, better defense, ball security.