1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Brawlin' Pacers back at it

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 6, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think webz is saying that in Australia, it's not normal for people to be packing heat whil they watch a skin dance and guzzle some swill.

You know, the Pacers would make AWESOME reality TV. Survivor: Terre Haute.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

coming from Hawaii and San Francisco, the concept of firing like that is entirely foreign to me. But, since coming to Louisiana, I've learned that its pretty common to carry firearms. My co-workers have used them as deterents. The other two players had their weapons in their cars. I would make too big a thing out of it since they have permits.

Without understanding the threat level, its hard to judge Jax's decision.

As far as safe rooms go, its not an indication of a criminal lifestyle. or even a criminal wanna be lifestyle.

3. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

The state of Indiana has not only recently passed a law allowing legally permitted firearms to be carried in state parks but also you can get a lifetime permit to carry a handgun now.
    Ya gotta love Indiana, if for no other reason than there's no law against being stupid....Yet.

4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Damn..........Now I know why the Pacers shorts are extra baggy only at the Palace since the brawl.

They are sending a message to Pistons fans. The Pacers better be careful though, I know some Piston fans that are very firearm savvy........:gun1:

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's how I read the article perhaps. I should see if I can find it and send you a copy. You get the feeling that not all the basketball players feel comfortable or safe there, particularly the ones from urban environments. Again, just my perception.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From McCoskey's Weblog:
    I am thinking Jackson's days in the NBA might be numbered. He was already on a zero-tolerance probation after the brawl and his other discretions.

Anyone know if hooch is still acceptable for NBA drug tests?
    Of all the Pacers in the car... it must have been someone elses weed.

Ski...It quacks like a duck

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

That is nice. Here, it's likely that you may get shot by someone who isn't able to kick your butt.

:rolleyes:

As far as those "warning shots" fired into the air, that's not a good idea either. Those shots come down, and I have one from an AK-47 lodged in the hood of my car. Could have been lodged in my head if the timing was right.

8. max

max All-Star

I was thinking about that also. Myth busters had a show on falling bullets impact and I believe it was far less than what we all had believed.

If Jackson had a permit to carry a fire arm then its a whole different matter and he may walk away from this. The fan that tried to run him over will be charged with vehicular assult if caught.

Why is it that NBA players can go to night clubs where there obviously has to be some altercations and it never gets to this? What happend inside that club to escalate it to that level?

Perhaps the Palace brawl provides some clues. Artest started it but Jackson was the 1st to take it to the next level by throwing punches at fans.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

The bullet is still in the hood of my car. I will take a picture tommorrow and load it in this thread so you can see. It may not have killed me... but it may have.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A bullet shot straight up in the air will return down to Earth at the terminal velocity (where the force of gravity = the force of wind resistance). Since different objects have different ratios of weight to surface area, the terminal velocity varies between objects. It turns out that your average bullet has a terminal velocity of about 100 mph. This is fast, but not fast enough to kill you. It is like Zumaya throwing a bullet at you and having it hit tip first. Just for comparison, a Winchester rifle shoots the bullet out of the barrel at 1,924 mph.

Usually, when people die from bullets from the sky, they were not fired completely vertically. They maintained some of their horizontal velocity and probably hit at 200+ mph.

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok, I just have to ask. How the heck did an AK-47 bullet get lodged into the hood of your car? I want details!

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I lived in Detroit.:gun1:

Honestly, it happened on New Years. I knew Detroit was heavily armed, but you just don't know how heavily armed until the clock strikes midnight. People were firing guns off everywhere, to the point that Mrs. Linwood and I were in the middle of the house away from the windows, in case some strays came our way.

The next morning when I went outside, there was a bullet stuck in the hood of my car. I don't know for sure that it is from an AK-47, but I have some hunting rifles, and it really looks about the same as a .308 which is very close to what an AK uses.

I will put a picture up here tomorrow, since the bullet is still in the hood of my car.

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

WOW! Looking forward to seeing the pic of that!

Man, I live a sheltered life. All I get at midnight on NYE is some cheap champagne and a kiss from my wife. :laugh:

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Does that still happen at midnight? I remember NY Eve at midnight in Detroit, and you are right it was like a warzone. It actually starts at around 1130-1145pm and lasts till 1215-1230am. The climax is right at midnight though.

You have to be nuts to be out on the street at midnight on NY Eve in Detroit!!!!!!!!!!

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

We went to a New Years Eve party at a friend's house in the 'burbs. We decided to call it a night and come home early to avoid the drunk drivers and ring in the night together at home.

We arrived home at about 11:45, and the bullets were just starting to fly. Damn, I forgot all about that! We ran inside the house and spent the next 30 minutes in the computer room (only one small window) listening to the :gun1::gun1::gun1:. At about 12:30, the semi and automatic weapons fire started to die down, and you could hear the occasional plink, plink, plink as the ordinance returned to Earth.

The next morning I went out to find a lovely souvenir for the new year imbedded in the hood of my car. My nieghbor got one too, and a couple of car windows were broken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i don't think your links work

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

They work for me. Let me see if I can get a tech savy mod to help out.

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

TheLow helped me fix it.

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

My AllHate team:

Stephen Jackson
    Darius Miles
    Antoine Walker
    Jason williams
    Damon Jones
    Scot Pollard
    Stephon Marbury
    Tony Parker
    Kwame Brown
    Kobe Bryant
    Alex Rodrieguez

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes I recall the NYEves in Motown where you had to hit the floor at midnite to avoid a stray bullet. Even if you were going to NYE party you had to be there by 11:30 just to avoid the earlybirds and even then the midnight countdown was done laying down on the dance floor. 1979 was the last time I experienced that type of armywarfare.:gun1:

When I moved to LA we had the some shooting, but surprisingly not as bad as the motor city. Now living out here in Cucamonga for the past 15 years we can actually stand outside at midnight and watch the neighbors light firecrackers/fireworks without worrying about getting hit by a stray bullet.

Does Motown they still have that wild devils :icon_evil:night prior to Halloween?