1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Break Up the Starters

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jun 9, 2006.

?

Who don't we need?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2006.
  1. Chauncey

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Rip

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Tay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sheed

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Ben

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Okay, which of the Starters can we most live without?

I say we could let Chauncey go via trade or free agency and still be okay with a pure point. I'm sure that won't be popular here, but... I guess I really don't care all that much. He WAS MVP of the finals two years ago, but when the man is in a funk, he really sucks it up (see this year's playoffs).

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is way harder than I imagined. BBen is probably my favorite Piston and I ended up voting him off the island.

If you swap out CB for a pure point you probably can't start BBen - not enough scoring left among the other four, so that doesn't work for me. Rip and Tay are the future, top notch all around players. Sheed is the enigma and could also have been the loser (remember oh fer a large double digit number of threes), but I got sucked into that "when he's on and playing within himself there's no one better" thing.

Sorry big guy.

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Chauncey, sorry buddy but you gotta go. Like you said, when CB stinks, he stinks. Additionally, the over inflated ego didn't help the cause any.

I say go for a pure point guard.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

dba,

I'm not sure that we shouldn't be putting the ball more in Rasheed's hands, and allowing Tay room to grow.

My problem with CB is two fold. As the team seems VERY point guard oriented, our whole season hinges on the health and play of one man, despite the fact that we are supposed to have an "equal opportunity" ball sharing offense.

Because the ball is most in CB's hands, it doesn't allow the other players to develop their games. It takes the pressure off Rasheed to perform, and lets Tay drift to the perimeter as a spot up jumper, which needless to say his not the best part of his game.

This is in large part due to Flip's offense, and that CB is really a combo guard who has refined his PG instincts. But he's still not a true PG, and with the exception of big shots, is a low % volume scorer (read, less touches for others).

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

If, as a couple of people said, Chauncey goes, that could very well make us a problem, the lack of scoring with Ben in there.

Is it such a bad idea to get some sort of trade going to get Iverson to replace CB? Scoring would be no problem and he is still a great assist guy to feed Taysh and Rip, and maybe even Sheed if he decides to play that night.

With AI's age, he would be around long enough to train a younger player to replace him when the time comes.

Just a thought.

6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Wow, I'm sort of surprised that so many of you are on the same wave length as I am here. I agree though, if we lose the offense at the point, Ben needs to either elevate his offense, or hit the road too. But this team always plays better when Ben gets his touches on the offense anyway, so maybe we'd be better off.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

lazyb I am with you all the way.

Keep BBen.

AI AI AI

8. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

The playoff collapse was HUGE and Chauncey was its main catalyst on the floor. Maybe it is necessary that he goes, but it may as well not be enough. I am afraid inside Pistons problems are much deeper and some coaching (management) people are involved.
    And there is a lot of bitternes, because one year is lost and some players are not so young anymore.
    I hope there is a solution, but I don't see any simple one. I like CB->AI idea as a partial step...

9. max

max All-Star

So who do you people have in mind to replace Chauncey?

I agree he can be frusterating at times and that lacksadasical attitude seems to stem from him most times. He is also turning 30 next season and will be seeking a huge long-term contract.

But who can we find to replace him? Forget about AI. I thought about that as well but AI makes around 20mil/season and is a year older.

Find a decent backup then maybe we will have other options. Besides he will comeback a lot better next post-season. I am sure he will not play that bad again.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't see Chauncey's poor play as a lack of effort. He was trying hard, and his shot was not falling. He has been unusually consistent in the clutch over the past 3 years and just had a bad run. It would be foolish to get rid of him because of one hitting slump.

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Micro and I were discussing Chauncey's flaws back when everyone thought he was the Pope. But here's a question for the "trade Chauncey" crowd: How do you get fair value for him?

Chauncey is underpaid, so you probably can't take back equal salary and still get a stud. Plus they might lose Billups to free agency unless an extension is involved.

A 2 for 1 thing? Hard to imagine getting rid of two starters, and the guys on the bench don't have much value. That's why the only guy I can imagine going away is Ben.

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not in favor of getting rid of any of the starters, but I am interested in having them actually fight for their starting positions. Hopefully, Joe D can bring in someone to battle one of the starting 5 for a starter slot. Actually, I think Ben should come off the bench and McDyess should start at the 4. Start Sheed at the 5. He's long and can defend the other team's big. Also, I'm in favor of taking a few big steps back, too, next season to get Maxiell, Amir and Acker some time on the court. Delfino, as well.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Doesn't Chauncey have a TRADE KICKER thing or whatever??? What is that?? But if I could do it the trade(s) wold look like this
    -Chauncey for AL Harrington
    -MLE to Bonzi
    -S&T Delk and Delfino to Charlotte for Brevin Knight
    -DD&Mo to Minn for Jaric (because Knight is so small at the pt, you need one with size)
    KEEP CATO!!!!!
    Sign Jackie Butler with the bi-annual exception.
    Starters
    PG-Knight
    SG-Rip
    SF-Tay
    PF-Sheed
    C-Ben
    Bench
    PG-Jaric (6'7"), pushes the rock, defends, and penetrates.
    SG-Bonzi (6'5") POINTS IN THE PAINT, 'nuff said.
    SF-Harrington (6'9") A beast, more POINTS IN THE PAINT
    PF-Dyess (6'9") Solid as a Rock.
    C's- Butler & Cato, 2 Big bodies to crash in the paint and rebound.

Keep Amir and Max ready to go and bring back Lindsey (if he wants to come back). That bench would get mad Boards, and points in the paint, the places we seem to be losing our identity.
    Also having AL is great when we play Cleveland, Make LeBron check him and wear is behind out on the defensive end. Know we have a young nucleus for the future.
    -Rip
    -Tay
    -Max
    -Amir
    -AL
    -Butler
    -Jaric???

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

negatory!!

Man, you guys are aggressive.
    Bup-Bup stays! :nod:

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Trading Chauncey is not the worst thing in the world. Remember Dallas let go of Steve Nash, who went on to become a 2 time league MVP, but now Dallas is in the Finals and looking good. Sometimes you need to trim your CORE, letting Nash and Finley go allowed Stack, Howard, and Harris to shine. Phx is better off with Nash, and Dallas was right to let him go.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I only see BBen as the weak link starter.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if those starters could beat that bench. That would be a nice problem to have. Do you know how many 3's Sheed would be taking if we didn't have Chauncey? He would see himself as our best 3 point shooter.

18. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

I would trade Rasheed. He is past his prime, doesn't like contact and is slowing down. I think Ben can still bring the effort (when he is happy). The other guys are still in their prime. I don't know what we can get for Rasheed, but I don't think savage beast big men are readily available in the NBA. I think we could package him with the draft pick we have from Orlando and land someone great, but who knows? We need an active big man who will stay inside. we defininately need bench help as well. Depending on who we get over the Summer, I think Flip gets another year plus a half a season to prove he can get us back to contention.

But my gut feeling is that Joe D does very little in the offseason but resign Ben and we end up w/ some more has been / unproven guys on the bench. Next year will be more of the same. Reg. season success and playoff collapse.

19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In a perfect world, I would trade Chauncey, Delfino, Delk to get Chris Paul. Maybe NOK would like to have a veteran Point guard who could teach the youngsters a few things. NOK would be crazy to give up Paul but who knows.

20. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Chauncy will not be resigned, even if we win a ring 06-07.